English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Google Map of Amiga owners (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46199)

peo 19 July 2009 01:16

Google Map of Amiga owners

Hello all,

A few days ago (shortly after I received the confirmation that my ARM-controller for the MiniMig was on its way), I got the idea to create a map of all the MiniMig owners (this was because someone in ARM-thread wondered about how many ARM cards Yaqube had to put together the last few days) ..

Now, I have put together the map, and a few people has already added themselves to it. So far, it is "only" possible to get your location (on the planet), enter some public information about yourself, and add your Amiga-like hardware (Classic, NG, MiniMig, clones) to the map.
What is still missing is some editing features, but these will come shortly (likely during the next week).

The map is located at
http://map.minimig.net/

A part of the instructions on how to name your "miggys" is in the forum at minimig.net:
http://minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137

The map will work as long as no-one writes something unexpected in some of the text fields (and if this happen, I will try to fix the error in my code, rather than correcting the data from the user). I will still have to validate each user manually, but this also prevents someone from breaking the map with a new entry.

Feel free to put a link somewhere directly on this site for the map ..

Regards,
PeO

Marcuz 19 July 2009 11:28

never! i'm out of the grid...

prowler 19 July 2009 16:31

Me too...

alexh 19 July 2009 17:05

Me, Oxford.

peo 19 July 2009 20:43

"out of the grid" ? Please explain..

/PeO

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 574401)
never! i'm out of the grid...

prowler 19 July 2009 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by peo (Post 574620)

/PeO

I took this to mean "I'm not adding myself to your map".

And by "Me too", I meant "I'm not adding myself to your map either". :D

(@Marco, please correct me if I was wrong.)

illy5603 20 July 2009 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by peo (Post 574620)

/PeO

I think having this project as your first post here is the problem. Forum culture is picky that way. If someone with 3000 posts did the same thing, the replies would probably be much different, but then again, perhaps not.

Doc Mindie 20 July 2009 09:25

Done ^^

Marcuz 20 July 2009 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 574627)
I took this to mean "I'm not adding myself to your map".

And by "Me too", I meant "I'm not adding myself to your map either". :D

(@Marco, please correct me if I was wrong.)

Correct! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by illy5603 (Post 574677)
I think having this project as your first post here is the problem. Forum culture is picky that way. If someone with 3000 posts did the same thing, the replies would probably be much different, but then again, perhaps not.

that's true, but not true every time.
it's just that the level of credit would be higher.
in this case, i simply don't want to :)

peo 20 July 2009 12:24

The problem is, that although I am still committed to the Amiga, I'm not very active in forums / news groups / irc whatever anymore. I just haven't got the time for it. Some things just comes up (the idea of the map), then I implement it and want as many (relevant) people to use it as possible.

I have been on EAB (and the other forums) for a while (registered or not, logged in or not), but haven't had any much relevant to post, so I have been a "quiet observer". Going through the announcement forums on EAB and Amiga.org (for moderation) should still be more accepted than just posting it everywhere on the forums.

Have nothing more to say for now, but if you have some questions or ideas, just post them to the thread or PM me.

/PeO

Quote:

Originally Posted by illy5603 (Post 574677)

zipper 20 July 2009 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by peo (Post 574795)
I have been on EAB (and the other forums) for a while

I visited SkellefteƄ last year :D

Carlos Ace 21 July 2009 02:05

Add myself too ...

Shoonay 21 July 2009 16:00

Due to the way you have to add yourself and the fact that my tiny little village isn't even listed on the map... I can't.

peo 21 July 2009 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay (Post 575206)
Due to the way you have to add yourself and the fact that my tiny little village isn't even listed on the map... I can't.

It's there (or may be):
Just type "Kaczyce" in the "address box" on the first step ("find yourself"), you will get the latitude 50.7260568 and longitude 21.4030244, which is in Poland. I can't explain its position, but you will know if it is right.

Otherwise, just find a close enough position to drag the marker to.

/PeO

Shoonay 21 July 2009 19:20

Nope, those aren't the one I live in.
Mine are much bigger (:p) and located right next to the czech border, near Karvina.

---=== EDITED ===---
Wut? You mean I can easly drag it where I want? ... *goes to check*

TCD 21 July 2009 19:30

Just a question : Is this map for all Amiga owners or only for MiniMig owners?

lilalurl 21 July 2009 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by peo (Post 574358)
about yourself, and add your Amiga-like hardware (Classic, NG, MiniMig, clones) to the map.

:)

TCD 21 July 2009 20:11

Ah, classic... Cheers lilalurl :)

Edit : Hmm, quite a bit of info to enter there... Guess I'm with marco and prowler on this one ;)

Leffmann 21 July 2009 22:15

You don't have to enter all your personals. I don't think the purpose of the map is to locate and identify individuals, but to give a general picture of the Amiga population and popularity. I only entered my first name myself and dropped the pin in the middle of my street, and if you're not comfortable with that why not enter a different name and put the pin a hundred meters in any random direction from where you live? The map would still fulfill a practical purpose.

prowler 21 July 2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 575296)
You don't have to enter all your personals. I don't think the purpose of the map is to locate and identify individuals, but to give a general picture of the Amiga population and popularity.

...why not enter a different name and put the pin a hundred meters in any random direction from where you live? The map would still fulfill a practical purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 574735)
in this case, i simply don't want to :)

I can't say it better than that.