English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amigan Software site shut down (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18905)

Minuous 09 June 2005 16:50

Amigan Software site shut down

http://users.bigpond.com/james.jacobs/

Unfortunately it looks like sites #2, #3, #4, #6, #7 and #8 have all been shut down by GeoCities (ie. Yahoo). :mad

Site #1 will remain up, and #5, #9 and #10 are still there for now, but probably will go soon too.

It had to happen, it was 9 GeoCities sites all linked together after all... ;)

There is an urgent need for about 130Mb of web space to host the site. About half of it is Amiga-specific and the other half is divided among various retrocomputing platforms.

Is anyone able to help!? These site are years of work with a great deal of unique and/or rare content, it would be a shame to lose it all. :(

oldpx 09 June 2005 19:09

Terrible news but GeoCities was never ideal for that kind of content. I like your site and hope you can find the space. :(

Bloodwych 09 June 2005 19:55

Yes, I enjoyed your site as well.

Keep that content safe. Hopefully you can re-launch in the future. :)

woody57 09 June 2005 20:19

I am more than happy to offer you the space to host your site independant of my forum just the same as Peanut UK's Amiga Power is also hosted that way , so you should be able to transfer content and your site front end onto a decent speed server.

PM me if you need more details as 200-300 mb is NOT a lot of space to ask for and it should be in one place

Members may notice I have not been that active recently BUT I still consider my loyalties to the amiga & retro gaming as an important issue it is wrong that many so called free resources are being wound up NOT because they are no longer used , but because the host is NOT making any money out of their previous benevolence.

This site needs to be kept alive beause it is a pertinent useable resource , so I certainly hope my offer is of use to you . I offer MORE space to allow you to continue to maintain & edit your current content without feeling you have trim things in order to add newer featues.

Doc Mindie 09 June 2005 21:39

Don't you think they closed #5 down on me WHILE I WAS TRYING TO DL THE STUFF!!!!!

Do I have the permission to spam down GeoShitties???? :P

spiff 09 June 2005 22:52

Wow, a crosslinked geo-city site(s)!
I get all misty eyed and nostalgic, don't se many of those these days.

Minuous 10 June 2005 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Don't you think they closed #5 down on me WHILE I WAS TRYING TO DL THE STUFF!!!!!

Nope, you just triggered a 1-hour shutdown by exceeding the rather paltry bandwidth. It's back up now of course. So leech away :-)

Fred the Fop 10 June 2005 05:17

Minny! I was sad about the news, but heartened it is back up. Look, I remember you first coming to EAB 4 years ago!! And braodcasting news of your superb site, and Birdy assailing you etc. What memories, and what a good thing to be your pal. Thanks for your crazy site!

Minuous 11 June 2005 00:26

I meant that site #5 is back up, not the whole thing, unfortunately :-(

Site is moving, and will be improving too. Stay tuned.

T_hairy_bootson 11 June 2005 03:07

Ah the memories, my dad was too cheap to get me an Atari2600 so i had an Emerson Arcadia clone called Tempest along with Nibbleman, Boxing, Alien Invaders, Basketball and a Soccer game. Great site. :)

Minuous 11 June 2005 14:21

What a small world :-) I also had a Tempest.

I had Alien Invader, Baseball, Bowling, Combat, Devilman the Dot Muncher, Robot Killer, Sea Battle, Space Squadron, and Super Bug.

Can I please officially confirm that the Tempest was sold by Sheen? And is the term MPT-03 familiar to you?

Also are you familiar with the game Super Bug?

T_hairy_bootson 11 June 2005 16:07

MPT-03 sounds familiar but I don't remember Sheen. Unfortunately I no longer have it. But no never heard of Super Bug either.

I have however seen other items sold/made by tempest my brother had a tempest clock radio, so I would assume Tempest was the name of the company that imported/marketed/distributed and MPT-03 was the name of the console.

Dalai 12 June 2005 00:35

The header on your site makes me think my computer has gone wrong.

MethodGit 12 June 2005 18:06

If you was willing to pay a bit each month or year for hosting the site, I could've recommended Phucknut, as their prices are quite cheap for what you get out of them.

girv 12 June 2005 18:22

@Minuous: Do you still need hosting? How much traffic do you expect / get per month?

Minuous 18 June 2005 16:20

woodshed57 allocated me some space on his server.

The site has been reuploaded and is fully usable. Enjoy!

http://users.bigpond.com/james.jacobs/

However I can't seem to log in anymore, I'm not sure why, haven't heard back from him yet. So I won't be able to upload the ACAR scans until I can log in.

@girv:

Thanks for your kind offer, traffic has only been in the hundreds per month for a few years now, I used to get more hits when I had much less content :-) If you don't mind I will wait a week or so in case woodshed57 is on holidays, etc. But if I can't upload there anymore then I would definitely appreciate being able to upload the ACAR scans to your site. They total 1.3Gb though, I don't know if you are able to handle such an amount of data?