English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Arcade cabinet with rotative CRT monitor and real amiga inside project (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87550)

CFou! 12 June 2017 12:00

Arcade cabinet with rotative CRT monitor and real amiga inside project

4 Attachment(s)
hi guys,

Since 2 months, i am working on new project : an arcade cabinet with rotative CRT monitor.

- 2D/3D schematics are finished (using VariCAD tool)
- MDF structure are finished, built and painted.
- rotative monitor system is done (motorized now 06-2017)

I have to finish the wiring and find a motor powerful enough for the rotation.

The goal is to get a pixel perfect render for arcade games and a real amiga.

If people are interested, I will released the 3D technical schemes on this thread.

Done:
- Dédicated Win7+ATi GPU+Groovy mame for pixel perfect display
- Cabinet 2D/3D schematics
- Cabinet built and painted
- monitor rotation system (rim + roller whells...) using CRT PHILIPS 21PT5408 tube and PCB
- front glass painted
- front panel with switches and wiring built
- CRT rotation motorized with limit switches calibred (06-29-2017)
- retro lighting for marquee (with switch on front panel between monitor and x arcade) added
- marquee designed and installed (x10)
- X-arcade , Trusmaster steering wheels support
- amiga inside with common monitor/keyboard (mouse possible but not connected because i use mouse/joy automatic switch)

To do:
- add twice light guns support (working but not installed)
- to make a X-arcade tank/DB9 adaptator

Finalisation: june 2017

Remarks:
- I use an mini ATX PC with Groovymame and ATI GPU for perfect pixel render for arcade/Megadrive/(SNES), etc
- I want use an real amiga for amiga games of course (but x arcade adaptor to do=>using currently joy/mouse hidden in hidden drawer under X Arcade)
- it's designed for Trusmaster steering wheels support (replacing X arcade)
=>both computers can be placed inside cabinet.

best regards.
:D

ross 12 June 2017 12:54

Hi CFOU!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU! (Post 1164510)
Since 2 months, i am working on project of arcade cabinet with rotative CRT monitor

GREAT!

Quote:

I have to finish the wiring and find a motor powerful enough for the rotation.
If not found there is always a solution: your arms :D

Quote:

If people are interested, I will released the 3D technical schemes on this thread.
I think that there surely people interested :)

Cheers,
ross

DamienD 12 June 2017 13:03

Cool stuff CFOU! and I see you have an X-Arcade there also ;)

Predseda 12 June 2017 14:50

I would use a motor from a washing machine.

CFou! 12 June 2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1164518)
Hi CFOU!

If not found there is always a solution: your arms :D

yes ;)

it's already working with my arms !!

But the best solution is to use a motor with a 3 position switch on the front to choose between the horizontal and vertical position :)

CFou! 12 June 2017 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1164539)
I would use a motor from a washing machine.

I will look for that but I'm afraid the size is too big.

i already try:
- 5RPM 12V DC motor with engine couple of 106 ft lbs (15kg.cm)
=>without success:banghead:crying

i'll try soon
- both 5RPM 12V DC motor with engine couple of 212 ft lbs (30kg.cm)
- one 5RPM 220V AC motor with engine couple of 184 ft lbs (26kg.cm)

i hope it will be enought power:bowdown

I used VariCAD for 2D/3D schematics (see linked PNG)

I use a hidden mouse/keyboard for maintenance (in a hidden drawer under X arcade Tank)

dlfrsilver 13 June 2017 09:50

Hi :) good to see you again ! Arcade machines are very cool too !!!

Predseda 13 June 2017 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU! (Post 1164556)
I will look for that but I'm afraid the size is too big.

Do you know how heavy is a drum full of your wet socks? ;)

spiff 13 June 2017 22:22

Probably a good idea to have a degauss button easily reachable, if you're going to rotate often.. or get a separate coil, hair dryer works in a pinch.

"Broke" my last CRT about 3 years ago, masking came loose and it never recovered. I've been looking for a good 4k 27 inch since then.

demolition 14 June 2017 13:25

A window viper motor from a car might be suitable? Or a starter motor from a motorcycle/scooter. Should be small and powerful.

Why do you need the screen to rotate btw? To match different games where some was designed with a landscape mode display and others in portrait mode?

DamienD 14 June 2017 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1164898)
Why do you need the screen to rotate btw? To match different games where some was designed with a landscape mode display and others in portrait mode?

Exactly :agree

...most arcade games are landscape but virtually all shooters e.g. Raiden / Twin Cobra are portrait.

The screen will rotate to portrait in MAME but the screen is small when the monitor is landscape. If you change the orientation of the monitor to portrait you will get a larger / fuller image.

demolition 14 June 2017 14:17

Seems excessive to rotate something as big and heavy as a CRT, but can understand the desire to have the feature. :-) Besides the degaussing required after every rotation, could it also not give convergence problems in general? I mean the tube is adjusted for one orientation and when rotated, it won't be optimal any longer. Perhaps the errors are small enough to not be severe though.

For games in portrait mode, do they use the same tubes as regular landscape mode CRTs, i.e. with vertical scanlines or do some have horizontal scanlines in portrait-oriented tubes?

CFou! 15 June 2017 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiff (Post 1164814)
Probably a good idea to have a degauss button easily reachable, if you're going to rotate often.. or get a separate coil, hair dryer works in a pinch.

"Broke" my last CRT about 3 years ago, masking came loose and it never recovered. I've been looking for a good 4k 27 inch since then.

yes, is good idea, i will modify design to add degauss button in front panel between monitor and X arcade Tank

CFou! 15 June 2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1164908)
Seems excessive to rotate something as big and heavy as a CRT, but can understand the desire to have the feature. :-) Besides the degaussing required after every rotation, could it also not give convergence problems in general? I mean the tube is adjusted for one orientation and when rotated, it won't be optimal any longer. Perhaps the errors are small enough to not be severe though.

For games in portrait mode, do they use the same tubes as regular landscape mode CRTs, i.e. with vertical scanlines or do some have horizontal scanlines in portrait-oriented tubes?

yes, it may seem excessive:) but i will add painted glass (bezel) to hide rotation system.

So to turn the screen, I should each time remove the glass...

So if possible turn button (3 positions switches) with automatic degauss is better way.

all my motor are not enougth powerfull :banghead
window viper motor is a good idea i will investigate to test it

idrougge 15 June 2017 19:54

Why not just install a lever? It removes a lot of margin for error.

paul773car 16 June 2017 00:30

if you use a level you could power that internally with a car window power regulator, with the lever you wouldnt need so much power and you can set the up and down stops on the regulator???

CFou! 17 June 2017 18:30

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paul773car (Post 1165264)
if you use a level you could power that internally with a car window power regulator, with the lever you wouldnt need so much power and you can set the up and down stops on the regulator???

hi

i have already tested power regulateur.

The disadvantage is that it increases the inertia of the motor at the time of stopping.

i use following moteur without success :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CFou! 17 June 2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1165204)
Why not just install a lever? It removes a lot of margin for error.

What type of lever? I do not see how to use a lever to do a quarter turn of the wheel.

robinsonb5 17 June 2017 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU! (Post 1165094)
all my motor are not enougth powerfull :banghead

Can you gear them down?

idrougge 18 June 2017 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU! (Post 1165662)
What type of lever? I do not see how to use a lever to do a quarter turn of the wheel.

One that extends out of the cabinet. Nothing fancy, just a stick attached to the monitor's axis.