English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Amiga CD game and WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31742)

HonoredShadow 24 August 2007 16:23

Amiga CD game and WinUAE

Im using 1.4.3 WinUAE.

I have a config for CD32 and that loads up mounted, virtual CD using Alcohol 120% just fine.

When I created a CDTV config (with the correct rom and extended file) I see the CDTV disk on a rock picture and then when I press a button on the keyboard or a mouse button I end up at a menu screen with options to change. I can't seem to get the virtual mounted disk to load.

I have noticed though that my DVD drive lights up every now and then so I'm guessing the emulator is trying to read that instead of the virtual drive.

How come the CD32 does not do this but the CDTV does? How can I change things so that it reads the G drive (virtual) instead of the E drive?

I'm guessing that once WinUAE knows where to look my problems will be solved.

Thanks for any help.

Toni Wilen 24 August 2007 16:33

"Amiga CD"? CDTV only accepts CDTV bootable disks.

HonoredShadow 24 August 2007 16:37

The game I am trying to load is called On Escapee Amiga CD. So I guess that is where I'm going wrong. It's not a CDTV game. I will try an Amiga with a CD setup instead.

Edit: How would I setup an Amiga 1200 with a CD drive? I guess its something to do with the compatability options but I can't see it. I only see CD32, CDTV, Amiga 600/1200 IDE (maybe?).

I have tried a few of the tick boxes but no luck. If someone could tell me which ones to tick to create an Amiga CD drive that would be great.

Thanks for the reply Toni.

HonoredShadow 24 August 2007 18:30

Ok. I seem to be getting a bit closer. I ticked uaescsi under misc menu and also added a drive under the harddrives menu by adding it then giving it a name and pointing to the virtual disk.

I then loaded up workbench hd and it showed the icon for the game on the desktop and the label I had given for the drive (G). I then double clicked the icon and saw directories and an icon to run the game. I double clicked the icon for the game and workbench came up with a message saying please insert volume and the name of the game.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

Toni Wilen 24 August 2007 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonoredShadow (Post 352831)
What have I done wrong?

Everything except enabling uaescsi.device :) CD != harddrive. Search for "uaescsi.device".

HonoredShadow 24 August 2007 18:34

Ok. Thanks. I took some info from here and it mentioned:

There are two ways to access Amiga CD disks: insert the CD into your CD drive, on the Hard Drive screen of WinUAE, click 'Add Directory'
and then enter the volume name of the CD and the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive e.g. D: (without the slash). Use the Diskchange <device>
command in a Shell if you change CDs (type Info for list of devices).

Thanks. I will keep trying.

Toni Wilen 24 August 2007 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonoredShadow (Post 352834)
Ok. Thanks. I took some info from here and it mentioned:

There are two ways to access Amiga CD disks: insert the CD into your CD drive, on the Hard Drive screen of WinUAE, click 'Add Directory'
and then enter the volume name of the CD and the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive e.g. D: (without the slash). Use the Diskchange <device>
command in a Shell if you change CDs (type Info for list of devices).

Thanks. I will keep trying.

This is ancient workaround before real CD emulation was implemented.

thomas 24 August 2007 19:02

Quote:

I then loaded up workbench hd and it showed the icon for the game on the desktop and the label I had given for the drive (G). I then double clicked the icon and saw directories and an icon to run the game. I double clicked the icon for the game and workbench came up with a message saying please insert volume and the name of the game.
Just use the name as requested in the message as label instead of just "G".

Although this is not the best way to access CDs, it's probably the quickest way to proceed from what you've done yet.

HonoredShadow 24 August 2007 19:25

What is the new way of doing this then? I don't really want to add a drive with a specific name as I won't be able to run other CD games without changing the name everytime.

I am stumped now. Other than the way described above I just can't figure it out.

HonoredShadow 30 August 2007 12:57

Anyone? I'm still experimenting but I can't find out how too get this too work.

thomas 30 August 2007 19:07

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/uaescsi.html

HonoredShadow 30 August 2007 19:20

Thanks for the reply but that link does not work.

Edit: Ok looking at the end of your link I did a search for uaescsi and found I may need AsimCDFS or CacheCDFS installed.

Could someone either zone one of these or failing that, could someone tell me if there is a built in CD-ROM driver in WB3.1? If so, I already have WB3.1 installed so how would I install this into it?

Thanks.

HonoredShadow 30 August 2007 20:08

Ok. I found this:

http://aminet.net/search?query=AmiCDFS

I downloaded the second one (not the french one). I opened the archive in WB and copied all the L, LIBS, C etc etc to the L, LIBS, C in WB directory. I then copied CD0 to the Storage\DosDrivers in the Workbench directory.

Still nothing. WTF am I doing wrong? lol sigh...

Retro-Nerd 30 August 2007 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonoredShadow (Post 354343)
Ok. I found this:

http://aminet.net/search?query=AmiCDFS

I downloaded the second one (not the french one). I opened the archive in WB and copied all the L, LIBS, C etc etc to the L, LIBS, C in WB directory. I then copied CD0 to the Storage\DosDrivers in the Workbench directory.

Still nothing. WTF am I doing wrong? lol sigh...

Open the CD0 driver file and change this:

device = uaescsi.device

HonoredShadow 30 August 2007 20:56

How do i change it? I double clicked the icon and nothing happened. God I must be thick.

Retro-Nerd 30 August 2007 21:04

Open the AmigaShell and type this:

ed devs/dosdrivers/cd0

Then rightclick and "Save" after the edit.

thomas 30 August 2007 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonoredShadow (Post 354324)
Thanks for the reply but that link does not work.

Well, it does work for me. Always. Perhaps this one works better: http://mitglied.lycos.de/thomasrapp/uaescsi.html

Anyway, here is the text (cut & paste from the web site):

Quote:

CD-ROM support in WinUAE 0.8.21
1. Inquire the unit number of your CD-ROM drive
start WinUAE without a configuration (delete the default.UAE file before).
go to the misc page and enable uaescsi.device and Create log file.
click on Ok.
if your Kickstart file is not named kick.rom WinUAE complains several times about a missing ROM and quits. Otherwise you will see the request to insert a floppy. Close WinUAE.
Open Windows Explorer and open the file winuaelog.txt in the WinUAE directory.
Search for uaescsi.device.
You will find a section that looks like that:
ASPI: open_driver 101 HostASPIStatus=0x1 HACount=0x1
ASPI: open_driver HostASPIStatus=0x1 HACount=0x1
ASPI: S=1 ha=1, ID=7, M='ASPI for WIN32 ESDI_506', Id='ESDI_506'
ASPI: 0:0:0 'LITEON ' 'DVD-ROM LTD122 ' 'IL5L' [CDROM]
support_scsi = 1 support_ioctl = 2
ASPI: opening 0:0:0
ASPI: Error in scgo_send: s.SRB_Status is 0x4
ASPI: Mapped to: error 1 errno: 5
unit 0: Drive empty
LITEON DVD-ROM LTD122 IL5L = uaescsi.device:0
scsidev_start_threads()

The highligted part shows the unit number.

If you see error messages, check and correct your ASPI setup. Also read the Readme.txt and UAEHowTo.txt files in WinUAE's Docs directory.

2. Install a CD-ROM driver for AmigaOS
get LhA.run and AmiCDFS240.lha from Aminet
copy the archives to a place where your AmigaOS can reach them (e.g. to your boot harddisk directory)
start WinUAE and boot AmigaOS
open a Shell window
cd to the directory where you copied the archives to.
enter these commands:
lha.run ram:
copy ram:lh? c:
lha x amicdfs240 ram:
cd ram:amicdfs2
copy l/AmiCDFS l:
copy cd0(|.info) devs:dosdrivers
ed devs:dosdrivers/CD0

now change scsi.device to uaescsi.device and the unit number to the number your CD-ROM drive has (e.g. 0).
scroll down to the MaxTransfer line. Change the value to 0xfc00.
scroll further down to the Control line and add the keywords OLDMODE DC=3 to the string.
press Esc and enter x to save the changes and exit the editor.
enter
mount cd0:

now your CD-ROM drive should work.

HonoredShadow 30 August 2007 22:05

EDIT: Sorry Thomas just got your reply just to late. Wil try your suggestion next by replacing the cdo with a new one, fresh...

Ok. This is what I typed:

CLI (window came up)
System:
devs
dosdrivers
ed devs/dosdrivers/cdo
(window came up which showed the name 'ed' at the top on the bar)
I typed device = uaescsi.device
then went to save but it said at bottom of screen (in blue) "unable" so I clicked save as and navigated to cdo and hit save. then ed told me it had been saved this time.

I restarted WinUAE and nothing has changed.

I was bad at using an Amiga back in he day and I'm worse now! Could someone zone the cdo already changed or tell me what I have done wrong?

So glad of the help. Thanks.