English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Poll: What KS would you prefer in a Vampire... Aros or KS3.1 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81535)

kipper2k 12 February 2016 21:08

Poll: What KS would you prefer in a Vampire... Aros or KS3.1

Hi All, subject says it all,

What OS would you prefer in a Vampire, be it a500/a600 or a1200 etc.

Please give your thoughts even if you dont own/want a Vampire.

mech 12 February 2016 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1069991)
Hi All, subject says it all,

What OS would you prefer in a Vampire, be it a500/a600 or a1200 etc.

Please give your thoughts even if you dont own/want a Vampire.

OS3.x of course ;)

DDNI 12 February 2016 21:14

KS3.1

I am watching the Vampire with great interest. The A500 version interests me most.

FREEMILK 12 February 2016 21:17

3.x

eXeler0 12 February 2016 21:20

I definitely prefer Amiga OS 3.9 but it would be interesting if one could set up a dual boot with both AmigaOS 3x and AROS. ;-)

IanP 12 February 2016 21:20

I vote AROS. The move from the stagnant OS 3.x to an open source OS needs to be "kickstarted" by including it as the default choice for the Vampire. Then the impetus to keep developing AROS 68k will be there.

SkulleateR 12 February 2016 21:27

I think we would need AROS but 100% backwards compatible :D

Superman 12 February 2016 21:33

All of them selectable from a menu.

Codetsu 12 February 2016 22:10

OS 3.x

Arnie 12 February 2016 22:25

If possible, both.

Adrian Browne 12 February 2016 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie (Post 1070013)
If possible, both.

Yes.

matthey 12 February 2016 23:14

Multiple selectable kickstarts (with 512kB and 1MB MAPROM support). Multiple selectable drive partitions. Multiple selectable FPGA CPU cores. Multiple selectable FPGA chipset cores. Choice is good but this is Gunnar's toy project so you should ask him rather than the public.

tassel 12 February 2016 23:18

KS3.x

Predseda 12 February 2016 23:21

KS3.x

eXeler0 12 February 2016 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Browne (Post 1070023)
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthey (Post 1070035)
Multiple selectable kickstarts (with 512kB and 1MB MAPROM support). Multiple selectable drive partitions. Multiple selectable FPGA CPU cores. Multiple selectable FPGA chipset cores. Choice is good but this is Gunnar's toy project so you should ask him rather than the public.

The Vampire can't be referred to as Gunnar 's project, can it? The Vampire v2 would exist even without the Apollo-core.
But there's no denying that what makes the Vampire a new platform with actual potential to breathe some life into 68k Amigaland is the work done by Gunnar & Co.
No need to let the bitterness in your words shine through every time something Gunnar / Apollo-core related turns up. ;-)
Life is short, and the typical Development time in Amigaland is counted in decades. Whatever decisions Gunnar has made and whatever his leadership style is, it may not go smoothly with everyone, but the results of his achievements are positive for the Amiga community.

Arnie 12 February 2016 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthey (Post 1070035)

Ahh. but he might have already approached Gunner, and Gunner said "Why don't you ask them?"

matt3k 12 February 2016 23:43

3.x

matthey 13 February 2016 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1070040)
The Vampire can't be referred to as Gunnar 's project, can it? The Vampire v2 would exist even without the Apollo-core.
But there's no denying that what makes the Vampire a new platform with actual potential to breathe some life into 68k Amigaland is the work done by Gunnar & Co.

Majsta created and made good progress on the Vampire project before Gunnar came along. I suggested cooperating with other FPGA projects and Altera FPGA users logically made the most sense to approach. There was some cooperation with the Mist guys also but they had more of a focus on compatibility than performance. Majsta was a good choice even if his hardware needed to be improved for the Apollo core. Also, kipper2k is a good guy. Gunnar has a tendency to dominate the meek and most helpful people though. If their goals line up perfectly with his then their will be no problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1070040)
No need to let the bitterness in your words shine through every time something Gunnar / Apollo-core related turns up. ;-)
Life is short, and the typical Development time in Amigaland is counted in decades. Whatever decisions Gunnar has made and whatever his leadership style is, it may not go smoothly with everyone, but the results of his achievements are positive for the Amiga community.

I tried to keep my response short and to the point yet so many seem to know what I'm talking about. I'm not bitter but rather disappointed. Gunnar's micromanagement authoritarian management style is not efficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie (Post 1070041)
Ahh. but he might have already approached Gunner, and Gunner said "Why don't you ask them?"

True. I see you also know Gunnar and his ways :laughing.

Amiga1992 13 February 2016 00:46

But the option to make custom ones or have a 3.1 that includes neat things like updated icon and workbench libraries, cf pcmcia device in ROM, etc. would be awesome.

I don't think AROS is mature enough to be put on a product of this category, otherwise I'd choose it, because nothing is better than not having to deal with the copyright assholes who own the Amiga stuff.

Daedalus 13 February 2016 01:00

3.1 for use with OS 3.9. But ideally it would be sufficiently compatible to run either.