English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where Time Stood Still - Video or wait? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74165)

Galahad/FLT 23 June 2014 11:04

Where Time Stood Still - Video or wait?

Right then folks, here is BETA v1.8 uploaded to YouTube. Still a few more bugs to sort out, this is running in a cycle exact A500 512K chip mem, 512k slow mem environment. As you can see speedwise, its perfectly playable on A500 assuming that WinUAE is accurate which I think it is.

Please don't worry about some of the flashing artifacts in the video, I guess i'm using a really shitty codec to output the video from WinUAE, in reality its a stable image.

A few ingame bugs left to sort and maybe add one other tune that ADR Design did that is another different variant on the ST original.

I've left in the disk loading sounds so you can get an idea of loading times. Any comments welcomed :)

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYdJr6LbC1E

Konrad 23 June 2014 17:44

Depends on how long it still takes to be released ;).
But as you started this teaser-thread I'd now like to see at least some pictures :P.

tolkien 23 June 2014 21:10

A video would be nice while waiting...or perhaps It produces more anxious! ;)

Greyfox 24 June 2014 16:55

Yeah, would love to see a comparison video of both to show the different, liking loading times and with the added extras, but as far as I know there is not proper stx dump of WTSS for the ST, so you'll have to resort to the Automation compact for it.

But yes a new video would be sweet.

Galahad/FLT 24 June 2014 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 961120)
Yeah, would love to see a comparison video of both to show the different, liking loading times and with the added extras, but as far as I know there is not proper stx dump of WTSS for the ST, so you'll have to resort to the Automation compact for it.

But yes a new video would be sweet.

Actually I originated this version from an original PASTI image from the Atari ST as Was Not Was cracked it in such a way as to be problematic to convert.

There can't be any comparison loading times between the Atari ST version, you'll see why when I do the video later, I chucked an extra loading graphic in that you'll be happy with, but the Amiga version just has a hell of a lot more data than the ST version has.

Just got one weird bug to sort out before I do the video, but all going well, it will be done tonight.

Got a wheel bearing on a Mondeo to fit first and then I can do it. :great

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 01:06

MODS: Please do not merge this message otherwise it won't bump the thread and people won't read the altered first message in the thread :)

Folks, read the first message in the thread, Youtube link now active, you voted, I listened.

Comments please.......good and bad ;)

Codetapper 25 June 2014 07:12

Looking good, particularly the in-game tune! A few suggestions though:

1. I think you should use the HAM version of the title screen, it looks so much better than that 32 colour version. No code would need to change except for making it 6 planes and setting the HAM bit. (Dynamic 32 colour palette would need more tricks obviously).

2. The hyphen character used in the credits font looks messy when used for underline. Can you use another character that has a continuous 8 pixel line nearer the top, or just change the hyphen if it's not used anywhere else? It'd look far more slick. (Like how NOMAD did in his AGA fixes).

3. Make the system-configuration file contain all black for the palette so you don't see the ugly Workbench screen in the background.

4. There's a few glitches here and there at the end of various parts where the screen flashes up whatever's left in memory.

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 961210)
Looking good, particularly the in-game tune! A few suggestions though:

1. I think you should use the HAM version of the title screen, it looks so much better than that 32 colour version. No code would need to change except for making it 6 planes and setting the HAM bit. (Dynamic 32 colour palette would need more tricks obviously).

2. The hyphen character used in the credits font looks messy when used for underline. Can you use another character that has a continuous 8 pixel line nearer the top, or just change the hyphen if it's not used anywhere else? It'd look far more slick. (Like how NOMAD did in his AGA fixes).

3. Make the system-configuration file contain all black for the palette so you don't see the ugly Workbench screen in the background.

4. There's a few glitches here and there at the end of various parts where the screen flashes up whatever's left in memory.

1. Probably not going to happen, I did the intro as a big file and then packed to try and minimize disk loading, i'm pretty sure I did some calculations and with the HAM mode picture, it wouldn't fit in 512k so it was abandoned.

2). Good point, i'll check that out.

3). Final version with be sector loading so that won't be an issue.

4). Only happens once just before it brings up the box art screen, thats next on my to do list.

Keep the comments coming chaps :)

Amiga1992 25 June 2014 11:43

I have one observation, it seems to take way too long and too many fire presses to get to the actual game.
OTther than that it's looking great. Really looking forward to the release, thanks Galahad!

Dunny 25 June 2014 11:45

Seems to take a hell of a long time to get through the initial credits screens. Hope there's an option to skip them, or it'll get very tedious having to sit through them every time you boot up.

Oh, and an option to turn the music off will be appreciated.

D.

Greyfox 25 June 2014 12:02

what happened to my Blue Ocean introductory screen?..has it yet to be implemented?, was it dropped in lu of space restrictions?

the one in question is this one..

The video was great btw, but I thought the intro was rushed from scene to scene..maybe add some simple Text screens between each image with a lead up to each scene? but allow the player to press space to skip or press fire. I know this is extra work etc..just a suggestion none the less.

breakdown of my suggestion

Ocean Screen above if usable, the "presents", " A Denton Design Game" "Intro text: !938, Somewhere in the (insert Place), "First image: Rhino", "Second text: Will our hero (Inventive name here) survive?", "Third image:rocks falling", "fourth Image(Lady sitting down avoiding the stampede)", "Third Text: We need to escape this living hell and make it back to our time!!", Fifth Image : (Cannbals screen), then title screen, but rather than it falling from the the top..have it fade in?.

I think this will give it some back story diet lite I know..but rather than one image changing to the next shows no narrative at the moment.

Now an extremely tall order, will the play-field area of the main game remain in the little window or it it possible to 2x the size?, I'm sure you already know in some cases that the Amiga ports sometimes got bigger screen coverage then the Atari ST counterparts..but hey it's more than likely asking the impossible :) just a thought

again amazing work none the less and looks exceptional :bowdown..

tomcat666 25 June 2014 13:23

GREAT video Galahad !

Everything is very nice. Just maybe add a second or two between the intro screens so one can enjoy the comic stip pictures - love it ! :)
Game looks lovely too, this is gonna be an ace release... finally :)

Retroplay 25 June 2014 13:40

Splendid work, nice touch with the Ocean Loader music. :D

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 961248)
I have one observation, it seems to take way too long and too many fire presses to get to the actual game.
OTther than that it's looking great. Really looking forward to the release, thanks Galahad!

Incorrect, it wouldn't be much of a demonstration if I simply pressed the fire button and skipped it alll ;)

And you have to press the fire button three times to start the game.

1). to exit the intro
2). to exit the oceanloader
3). to start the game.

Not really 'too many' in my book ;)

And whilst its not apparent from the video

1). EAB PRESENTS screen can be exited with fire button
2). Entire intro sequence can be skipped from even loading by holding down fire button on boot up and it will go directly to the Ocean loader music title screen.

The reason for the PUSH FIRE TO START is because its a great piece of music and Hoffman did a great conversion, if someone wants to listen to it in its entirety, they can do.

Still more work to do, I might do a 3 second countdown before the intro where if the fire button isn't pressed, then the intro loads and plays, otherwise it tells the user it can be skipped.

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 961253)
what happened to my Blue Ocean introductory screen?..has it yet to be implemented?, was it dropped in lu of space restrictions?

the one in question is this one..

The video was great btw, but I thought the intro was rushed from scene to scene..maybe add some simple Text screens between each image with a lead up to each scene? but allow the player to press space to skip or press fire. I know this is extra work etc..just a suggestion none the less.

breakdown of my suggestion

Ocean Screen above if usable, the "presents", " A Denton Design Game" "Intro text: !938, Somewhere in the (insert Place), "First image: Rhino", "Second text: Will our hero (Inventive name here) survive?", "Third image:rocks falling", "fourth Image(Lady sitting down avoiding the stampede)", "Third Text: We need to escape this living hell and make it back to our time!!", Fifth Image : (Cannbals screen), then title screen, but rather than it falling from the the top..have it fade in?.

I think this will give it some back story diet lite I know..but rather than one image changing to the next shows no narrative at the moment.

Now an extremely tall order, will the play-field area of the main game remain in the little window or it it possible to 2x the size?, I'm sure you already know in some cases that the Amiga ports sometimes got bigger screen coverage then the Atari ST counterparts..but hey it's more than likely asking the impossible :) just a thought

again amazing work none the less and looks exceptional :bowdown..

No idea dude, I don't appear to have it. If I have room for it, I have no objection to squeezing it in, so if you could send it again mate, that would be appreciated.

To be honest, whilst I appreciate the feedback over the intro, I don't really want to go too much to town with it, because its something people will look at once or twice and then never display it again.

Lets face it, its not competing with a Psygnosis intro any time soon, and in all honesty, the style of game doesn't suit me doing anything really 'snazzy' with it, more effort would be better spent on the game.

As for a larger screen, can't and won't happen because I don't have any kind of control over the graphics. I simply wait until the Atari ST screen has been drawn and updated, and then convert that realtime to the Amiga. The low res graphics would look horrific if I bumped the scale up, and really, i'm getting a bit sick of looking at the game to be honest, i'm of the mind I just want to finish it now, its taking too long :(

Glad you like it though, its taken some work, but its been worth it and your Graphics lift it up :) :great

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat666 (Post 961259)
GREAT video Galahad !

Everything is very nice. Just maybe add a second or two between the intro screens so one can enjoy the comic stip pictures - love it ! :)
Game looks lovely too, this is gonna be an ace release... finally :)

Thanks.

Yes you're right, screens change too quickly, this will be changed :)

Galahad/FLT 25 June 2014 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunny (Post 961249)
Seems to take a hell of a long time to get through the initial credits screens. Hope there's an option to skip them, or it'll get very tedious having to sit through them every time you boot up.

Oh, and an option to turn the music off will be appreciated.

D.

To be honest, people will likely only watch it once or twice, some moan its too long others too short, but it can be bypassed completely on boot up by holding the fire button :)

And yes, i'll look into doing a music off option, but there is a menu now in game so you can select 1 of 3 different tunes.

alexh 25 June 2014 18:51

Store a bit on the disk which says it has been watched. Once set "fire to skip" works instantly?

I dunno about others, but don't mind having to watch a cut scene all the way through first time you play a game, especially if the developers took the time to write it.

Galahad/FLT 26 June 2014 00:32

UPDATE: After the EAB Present screen, a brief text message comes on screen warning to Press fire if you want to skip intro, or leave and it will autoboot and load intro.

More to come

turrican3 26 June 2014 02:51

Thank you Galahad, it seems you did a fu..... good job !!! :great