English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A good Amiga PDF reader (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=73276)

source 12 April 2014 04:58

A good Amiga PDF reader

Does anyone know of a good pdf viewer for the Amiga? I am currently using apdf, but it seems to have problems with many of the pdf files. I am currently running amigaos 3.9.
Thanks

gulliver 12 April 2014 05:18

Apdf sucks as it supports a very old subset of the PDF format, which means you wont be able to see most of your pdf files.

You should install GhostScript 8.70 and use as a front end either gsgui or easygs.
It is a pain to install and get GhostScript running, but it is worth the trouble.

source 12 April 2014 05:56

Is it a problem with installing ghost script 8.7 when ghostscript 4 is installed with turboprint. Do I need to remove The version that came with turboprint And replace it with 8.7? Doi keep both versions installed? Thanks

gulliver 12 April 2014 13:38

Somewhere on the GhostScript 8.70 website there is a tip on getting it to work properly with Turboprint, I cant emember right now how it was, but it worked.

thyslo 25 February 2019 13:17

Does somebody know from where GostScript 8.70 and EasyGS for 68k can be downlaoded nowadays?

As I see it in Aminet is only the MorphOS version of GhostScript 8.70.

daxb 25 February 2019 15:40

Check out: http://www.whoosh777.com/

thyslo 25 February 2019 16:25

Thank you :great

And any idea from where to get EasyGS?

Couldn't somebody be so kind and put it into the zone?

thyslo 26 February 2019 09:03

So yesterday I tried the GhostScript 8.70 package for pdf rendering. I was using the gs command for rendering. And it went well..but I was a bit baffled how slow it was.

On an emulated 68040 (as fast as possible but no JIT, SysInfo states it as 1.8 x as fast as an A4000/25) I could see how a pdf was "painted" line by line. It took e.g. forty seconds to display one page. I tried different pdfs, always the same.

I'm just wondering, because on the same system displaying some jpeg images using PicShow didn't take nearly as long.

So is there any known speed-up option in GhostScript?

daxb 26 February 2019 12:33

Lower dpi value speeds up a bit. b/w is faster then grey then color then more colors. ;) Generally higher quality = lower speed. The documentation is good, so have at least a read here: http://www.whoosh777.com/index.php?txt=1#usage

thyslo 26 February 2019 14:08

Thank you, I'll try that out.

jPV 26 February 2019 17:21

If you have an RTG setup, I'd suggest to try the RNOPDF program. It's a simple but quick PDF viewer, and is available for 68k, 68k+FPU, WarpOS, and several other platforms.

AMIGASYSTEM 26 February 2019 17:28

Also RNOPDF does not support many PDF formats.
It would be nice to have on Amiga "PDF-XChange Viewer" a free, small, light and powerful viewer.

alexh 26 February 2019 17:41

If you don't need the ability to search there are tools to render very fast into bitmap gfx files

I haven't used this myself but it is the most recent on Aminet

http://aminet.net/text/misc/xpdftools_400_m68k.lha

And if your Amiga is connected to the internet you can of course use a free online PDF->TIFF converter which usually give you the PDF back as a zip containing a TIFF for each page.

jPV 26 February 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1307209)
Also RNOPDF does not support many PDF formats.

Do you have any example PDFs that don't open? It has shown all files I've tried so far...

AMIGASYSTEM 26 February 2019 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jPV (Post 1307257)
Do you have any example PDFs that don't open? It has shown all files I've tried so far...

I've tried so many files, could it be that in my systems something is missing?

EDIT:

I have to repeat the tests in my system was missing the Holliwood library "polybios.ext" now always open many more PDF documents.

jPV 27 February 2019 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1307300)
I have to repeat the tests in my system was missing the Holliwood library "polybios.ext" now always open many more PDF documents.

Funny that it opened any files in that case... what's your system and was the polybios.ext missing from the RNOPDF distribution archive for that system?

AMIGASYSTEM 27 February 2019 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jPV (Post 1307361)
Funny that it opened any files in that case...

You now many versions of PDF open quietly

Quote:

what's your system and was the polybios.ext missing from the RNOPDF distribution archive for that system?
No I had only forgotten to copy polybios.ext in Libs/Hollywood

there are still some "simple" PDF files that are not supported, although RNOPDF supports even complex PDF files.
The only problem is the Zoom that does not work well. it does not maintain the status

Daedalus 27 February 2019 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyslo (Post 1307112)
So yesterday I tried the GhostScript 8.70 package for pdf rendering. I was using the gs command for rendering. And it went well..but I was a bit baffled how slow it was.

On an emulated 68040 (as fast as possible but no JIT, SysInfo states it as 1.8 x as fast as an A4000/25) I could see how a pdf was "painted" line by line. It took e.g. forty seconds to display one page. I tried different pdfs, always the same.

Emulation speed depends on a lot of things, but one key thing is the underlying hardware. You should be aware however that emulating a faster CPU doesn't mean the end result is faster. It's not magic ;) and in some cases, emulating a 68030 can be faster than emulating a 68040 that has more exceptions to be handled by the emulated machine.

Also, is there any particular reason you're not using JIT? Some games don't like it due to their funky coding tricks, but then they're less likely to run on a 68040 anyway. If you're emulating a top-end Amiga, turn on JIT and enjoy the massive speed boost it gives you.

Ultimately, rendering PDFs, like rendering web pages, is as simple or as complicated as the document itself is. That means there's nothing to stop a very complicated document taking a huge amount of processing power to render, power which is taken for granted on modern platforms. Reducing the render quality/accuracy will help, but ultimately there's no getting away from the fact that there's a lot of computation involved.

thyslo 28 February 2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1307431)
Also, is there any particular reason you're not using JIT?

I needed to disable JIT because I'm using StormC4. And the included debugger is acting strange if JIT is enabled.

Daedalus 28 February 2019 12:36

Ah, I take it the debugger is using some sort of funky tricks then. Well it might be worth trying it as an emulated 68020 with JIT instead. The simpler CPU has fewer pitfalls for exotic code, and speed should get a massive boost. Ultimately, rendering PDFs in a non-JIT environment is simply pouring away CPU cycles, so if it still doesn't work I'd suggest using the host OS to open PDFs, maybe using a second display.