English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.WHDLoad (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Save game feature needed badly in Whdload (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64818)

Emu Amiga 24 June 2012 10:37

Save game feature needed badly in Whdload

Hi, I love Whdload, but it has huge flaw, i really can't save my game. Action games, arcade games and casual games are great, but Role-playing games like Questron 2, or any of the gold box series are impossible to play in one setting. I used the Winuae 'save state feature' and it corrupted my game. Should i just stick with adf's as i can create a blank save with the emulator? Is there is anyway possible to create a save routine for Whdload? thanks for you time.

Graham Humphrey 24 June 2012 11:18

You can save games. If the game has a save function then you can save it with WHDLoad. Just save it in the way you normally would but make sure you quit right out afterwards or it might not save.

Emu Amiga 24 June 2012 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey (Post 825428)
You can save games. If the game has a save function then you can save it with WHDLoad. Just save it in the way you normally would but make sure you quit right out afterwards or it might not save.

Questron 2 and the gold box games i believe support a save feature, so i give it a go. Thank you very much. :) Thanks Graham, it's work just as you said, sorry about the whinage.

N-Ed 25 July 2012 16:05

I've noticed that not quiting to WB or Tinylauncher, and rather just powering of the Amiga, will make my last save vanish. That's a nice feature, especially after 12 hours of playing my SWOS career:spin

musashi5150 25 July 2012 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Ed (Post 830682)
I've noticed that not quiting to WB or Tinylauncher, and rather just powering of the Amiga, will make my last save vanish.

You have the save cache enabled. You can change that in your WHDLoad.prefs file so disk writes are written immediately instead of being written on quit. From the top of my head it's "NoWriteCache".

But now probably you won't like the OS swapping when saving :)

N-Ed 25 July 2012 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by musashi5150 (Post 830683)
But now probably you won't like the OS swapping when saving :)

Huh? Please explain :)

daxb 25 July 2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Ed (Post 830702)
Huh? Please explain :)

Just try it out and you will see it.

N-Ed 25 July 2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxb (Post 830724)
Just try it out and you will see it.

I might be a bit confused, but "exactly" what should I do? Changed the file to WriteToCache? Or what? Thanks in advance! :bowdown

Retro-Nerd 25 July 2012 21:44

Open the whdload.prefs file with an editor and remove the ";", then save.

Quote:

;NoWriteCache ;disable the disk write cache

Codetapper 25 July 2012 22:06

You should also be aware that some WHDLoad games will not return correctly after writing to a file during the game. The copperlist often needs to be restored by the slave programmer and if that isn't implemented the game will misbehave.

N-Ed 26 July 2012 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 830737)
Open the whdload.prefs file with an editor and remove the ";", then save.

Figured that out this morning while in the shower, I was like "what the F was I thinking yesterday":nuts I'll just blame my stupidity on the Boogoop Barley wine I was drinking hehe
Thanks fot the help though, will try this evening.

ransom1122 28 September 2012 00:25

So this means it can save, even if you quit winuae without the proper keystroke?

paul1981 18 January 2013 22:02

Come to think of it, if you have just a 68000 CPU, then the NOWRITECACHE setting of WHDLoad is the only way to ensure your games actually get saved, being as though on most games the only way to quit a game is with the quit key feature, and the quit key feature requires 68010+. LOL.