English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confess your sins (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38744)

Eclipse 16 August 2008 04:12

Confess your sins

Hi
I seem to have a lasting memory of a friend who used to often take the disks off the front of magazines in John Menzies newsagents.
He would often do this while we were supposed to be at school :)
It's a nostalgic memory that won't go away.
Anyone else do the same or other things that need confessing?

alkis21 16 August 2008 09:36

Well, this might shock you but not all the games I had as a teenager were legally purchased. That's the biggest sin I can think of.

ausPPC 16 August 2008 09:37

I hacked AmigaBasic to allow protected files to be resaved as nonprotected 'cause I thought it'd help me figure out what to do next in Arazok's Tomb. Didn't help me get anywhere with the game but it was fun to mess around with stuff like that.

TCD 16 August 2008 10:03

Anyone skipped school to play Amiga games? I did :agree :D

Galahad/FLT 16 August 2008 10:07

Christ, where to start!

1). Skipped work to crack for Fairlight and Rednex
2). I used to take coverdisks, mate of mine would go one step better and take the magazine they were attached to as well
3). I cracked a game, having met the person who created it.

formater 16 August 2008 11:04

I cracked many C64 games, tapes of course, in 1984 the disk unit was very expensive for me.

Marcuz 16 August 2008 11:05

1) i skipped school a couple of times, and ended playing Eye of the Beholder or Ishar.
and one time Legend of Valour (but the school was flooded...)

2) i cheated in almost every game, at some point. i used extensively hex editors

3) i had less than 10 original games.

4) i redesigned the Topaz font to my needs and saved it over.

5) i copied several times Workbench and kickstarts.

6) Google is my friend.

7) a german amiga magazine is not. :nuts

Belgarath 16 August 2008 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 446318)
7) a german amiga magazine is not. :nuts

That's not a sin :)

Marcuz 16 August 2008 11:15

heh you are right, i feel more innocent now :)

Galahad/FLT 16 August 2008 11:35

I managed to piss off the Bitmap Brothers

Leffmann 16 August 2008 12:22

The usual stuff; skipping school to play Amiga and CD32, playing a good 1000 games or so and not owning more than... 4 originals?

Me and my brother persuaded a friend to buy some game at the store, we copied the disks fast and then told him to go back to the store right away claiming it wouldn't run on his Amiga because he had no extra memory and to change it for another game, which we would copy as well. That one still makes me feel bad :S

Retro-Nerd 16 August 2008 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 446327)
I managed to piss off the Bitmap Brothers

Have you tried teaching them to programme a better scrolling for their games? :D

Belgarath 16 August 2008 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleauvive (Post 446338)
  • I used some parts of Gamebase Amiga for something it was not intended for

GameBase ST ? :lol

TCD 16 August 2008 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 446335)
Me and my brother persuaded a friend to buy some game at the store, we copied the disks fast and then told him to go back to the store right away claiming it wouldn't run on his Amiga because he had no extra memory and to change it for another game, which we would copy as well. That one still makes me feel bad :S

Hehe, me and a friend had a similar 'game'. When buying CDs back in the nineties (before CD burners became cheap) each time we took out the CD off the case and claimed there was none inside. Of course we got another one :cheese You had no cover for the CD and no booklet, but you saved a lot of money ;)

spiff 16 August 2008 13:06

I never was into the really heavy cracking and so on... but the more fun innocent stuff, guess these are grounds for terrorist investigations today.
  • "Upgraded" the printer server to a (local) warez server at school.
  • Repeatedly fed my keyboard beer and coke
  • Liberated ram sticks from rich over class PCs and gave to the poor.
  • Thought I was really cool distributing stuff.. until I managed to infect some really nice ppl PCs with pretty much every known virus out there.

Muzkat 16 August 2008 14:10

I had in my possession hundreds of Amiga games, but only 12 of them were original.

My friend once lent me some games. He kinda forgot that I had them after awhile, so I never gave them back.

I once came to some deal with the local computer store, in which they agreed to give me a new joystick, but wanted me to pay them back within a week. I thought, "stuff you, I've already bought so many joysticks from you, you don't need my money...and you are idiots to give me the thing for free in the first place." They never got their money.

PWLM 16 August 2008 14:13

I took my ever-trusty non-working A500 PSU to a computer shop, and told the guy I would swap him for a working one and he could keep the broken one if he repaired it. He never worked out that I still needed to pay him for parts and labour...

DDNI 16 August 2008 14:35

Hmmm

- Bought a A1200 Mobo for a fiver. Never told the seller that it had a Scanmagic SD/FF attached. I felt bad about that. When I sold it last month I sent him £30 - Redemption!!!

Exl 16 August 2008 16:11

Oh boy...
  • Never having *any* original games with my Amiga, only the Workbench disks were original...
  • If the game had a trainer, I used it (and still sometimes failed miserably at it)...
  • Virii ran rampant among all of my disks that had at some point not been write-protected...

In my defense though I got the thing 2nd hand when I was 6 and knew nothing about computers :)

gklinger 16 August 2008 16:38

I killed a hobo with a shovel.

What? Amiga-related confessions? Whoops! Uh, I meant to say that I ran a pirate Amiga BBS from my A1000.

P.S. Forget that shovel thing.