English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   68030, 68040 and 68060 MMU support (really!) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46934)

Toni Wilen 22 August 2009 13:22

68030, 68040 and 68060 MMU support (really!)

Aranym's 68040 MMU code was finally enabled today. (and executable size is now about 8 megabytes, 5th CPU core. yay..)

No, it isn't really working yet but at least it gets as far as setpatch setting up MMU tables and then it does something weird..

No, JIT is not supported and never will.

Note that I am not going to fix/update the code if it has some missing features that Amiga software requires.

UPDATE: 68040.library works now, enforcer still causes infinite bus errors.

Predabot 22 August 2009 16:08

Is Aranym another developer then? Some guy who decided to pitch in with some 68040-code? If so, cudos to him. Must be nice knowing you're not all alone in the world, trying to get Amiga-emulation to perfection. :)

Toni Wilen 22 August 2009 16:13

Aranym is (expanded) Atari ST/TT/Falcon emulator :)

andreas 22 August 2009 16:33

FANTASTIC ! This might mean: the future *may* bring Amiga UNIX alternatives to Minix (which only works in ancient version on the current emulation core)

Quote:

No, JIT is not supported and never will.
Thanks, I'd love to preserve data integrity at least in my Amiga UNIX case :D
JIT is great for gaming or Mandelbrot-ish gfx, but when it comes to alien file-systems emulated in an emulator on its part, I'll gladly live without :D

Toni Wilen 22 August 2009 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas (Post 586679)
FANTASTIC ! This might mean: the future *may* bring Amiga UNIX alternatives to Minix (which only works in ancient version on the current emulation core)

AFAIK "official" Amiga Unix is 68030 only. (68040 MMU is totally different than 68030 MMU. 68030 MMU is extremely complex, 68040 is relatively simple)

andreas 22 August 2009 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 586682)
AFAIK "official" Amiga Unix is 68030 only.

Ouch. so my enthusiasm might have been a bit over the top once more...

Quote:

68030 MMU is extremely complex, 68040 is relatively simple)
Yes, you mentioned the former at least a million times. :)
Maybe someday there will be in fact a volunteer to code this awfully cumbersome 68030 MMU emulation. We have to face the fact you do not want to do it (your decision, isn't it)

Surely Dave Haynie could help you a lot with this - but he seems to have disappeared from public reach for good...

Toni Wilen 23 August 2009 12:05

Enforcer seems to work now. It is more than enough for me :)

Problem reports will be posted here when beta is available.. (MMU is bonus feature that may or may not work in next official version)

JohnF 23 August 2009 22:12

If I get chance, I'll see if I can boot a NetBSD kernel, but that might be asking a lot...

frank_b 23 August 2009 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnF (Post 587067)
If I get chance, I'll see if I can boot a NetBSD kernel, but that might be asking a lot...

The Atari port of Net BSD can apparently boot on Aranym.

Toni Wilen 24 August 2009 08:22

It is guaranteed to not boot yet (some instructions won't restart properly after bus error) but some kind of 68040 Unix/Linux installation would be nice compatibility test case.

Mad-Matt 24 August 2009 14:23

I havent done much to stress mmu testing yet, but have tried a couple of things. MuMove4k (MMULIB Module) seems to cause a ramlib error (not mumove4k itself - just the effect of having it running with some other prog i havent identified yet). It will error on every boot if i manualy reboot but clicking reboot on the error message box, it will guru but then wb will load fine.

Once working MuFastZero seems to work ok, but expansion.lib still seems stuck in chipmem even though sysinfo says Fast Mem (instead of usual 32bit fastmem).

mmulib 68k libs in use (doesnt auto move vbr like phase5 libs do).

lastly CPU FASTROM doesnt appear to do anything still. (tried a few 68040 libs).

ill see if i can enable virtual memory in mac emu later (mmu enabled mode) and try Asp spectrum emu (Although i think that already works anyway without mmu)

Toni Wilen 24 August 2009 16:06

MMULib 68040.library does not seem to work but without sources it will be too time consuming task..

EDIT: what happens is that mmu.library or 68040.library does some kind of test read, which causes bus error (access violation) as expected, error handler does some MMU page reconfiguration and when handler exits, test read instruction restarts but it still causes bus error which probably shouldn't happen. (MMU table has been changed, bus error isn't exactly the same)

Toni Wilen 28 August 2009 21:43

1 Attachment(s)
It seems to work now (note that this isn't beta 11, ignore title bar text) but I am not sure if there is any point..

prowler 28 August 2009 22:00

Hi Toni,

The point is that if you can get this working, it might stimulate the development of an "official" Amiga Unix for the 68040. :)

gilgamesh 29 August 2009 08:40

You're great Toni, thanks!

I tried merging Aranym back by myself (which led exactly nowhere so far :rolleyes), and now you took me completely by surprise.

Did you use Linux/m68k for that screenshot?

Toni Wilen 29 August 2009 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 589567)
You're great Toni, thanks!

I tried merging Aranym back by myself (which led exactly nowhere so far :rolleyes), and now you took me completely by surprise.

Did you use Linux/m68k for that screenshot?

It is latest 68k Linux kernel from Aminet booted with amiboot. Kernel only, didn't bother with real installation.

Toni Wilen 29 August 2009 13:00

Beta 12 includes Linux compatible 68040 MMU.

If someone is interested with M68K Linux: please upload working Linux HDF (using SCSI or IDE emulated hardware) with basic utilities included, thanks :)

gilgamesh 29 August 2009 15:28

The last Debian with proper Amiga support was probably Slink. (Sarge has floppy installers for Atari only.) Let's see whether these installation instructions are useful.

EDIT: Sarge can be installed from HD. see here and load images from here

JohnF 29 August 2009 19:05

1 Attachment(s)
This is a rather old NetBSD kernel, but it did boot (note the details of sd0):

Toni Wilen 29 August 2009 21:04

Great :)

Mulib crash is due to bug in original Aranym MMU emulation (I sent report to original authors), this will be fixed in next beta.