English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Word processing on Amigas (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76455)

pubzombie 04 January 2015 16:31

Word processing on Amigas

Hi all,
This may seem a bit of a strange question - but.
When I was a student back in the day I wrote my undergraduate essays on an Amiga 500 and then 1200. I still have my original 1200 in my office at work.
If I wanted to write documents on my 1200 is it possible to easily transfer stuff to Microsoft word after?
Thanks in advance.
PZ

s2325 04 January 2015 16:34

Maybe just use simple editors similar to Notepad and try to avoid any special characters as word processors may confuse them. You can also write on Amiga, make photo of display and use OCR software for Windows ;)

Basquemactee1 04 January 2015 23:43

I think the later edition of Wordworth had the availability to save into a basic Word format, which could then be loaded/imported. However. what s2325 says makes more sense. Save as .txt format.

pubzombie 04 January 2015 23:58

Ok thanks guys.
I guess flash card adaptor in the side of the 1200 would be easiest way to transfer Giles to pc?
Thank you

daxb 05 January 2015 11:53

Wordworth 7 can save in RTF, WordPerfect 5.1, ASCII and its Wordworth fromat. For FinalWriter (maybe wrong name?) I don`t know but may worth to try. Maybe also PageStream.

If you just need simple text to transfer then a texteditor might be the best solution.

demolition 05 January 2015 14:38

I have saved in RTF with Final Writer and it seemed to look right in Word. Much better than plain text files since it contains font types and sizes, indentation etc.

Korodny 05 January 2015 17:51

FinalWriter 97 is not as feature rich as WW7, but it's said to have better RTF and PS export (I never used it myself, so I can't tell). So I'd suggest using FW and exporting to RTF.

But if you're using more fancy layout options (tables, boxes, inline images or whatever else FW supports), make sure they survive the transfer to Word before using them extensively.

pubzombie 09 January 2015 00:48

Thanx guys. I do a lot of writing for work and 2015 ive got 5 publishers deadlines to make. I was hoping to write my first drafts and get my head down on paper, as it were, on the Amiga. That's the stage of writing I struggle with the most, not having the Internet and just a clean screen with no clutter of tabs and distractions makes it much easier to brain fart everything out. I can then save to floppy or CFC and edit and draft on pc.
I will get a spot o nostalgia too - I really like the Amiga keyboard, and used to write on one or an electric typewriter. First drafts were easier without Facebook and Twitter in your face.

rare_j 09 January 2015 04:10

A network card in the pcmcia slot is probably worth investing in if you're using it for work. Then you can copy the file straight to a shared folder on the PC. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55285

pubzombie 09 January 2015 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 996150)
A network card in the pcmcia slot is probably worth investing in if you're using it for work. Then you can copy the file straight to a shared folder on the PC. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55285

Awesome! Wow

demolition 09 January 2015 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 996150)

But that also means that he cannot escape Facebook and Twitter even on the Amiga. Well, at least in theory as it may not be very functional. :)

gazj82 09 January 2015 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 996195)
But that also means that he cannot escape Facebook and Twitter even on the Amiga. Well, at least in theory as it may not be very functional. :)

Fortunately when I tired facebook on my 1200 030 it still hadn't signed in to facebook even after 15 minuites so I gave up :)

pubzombie 10 January 2015 02:18

I can't imagine facebook would work on my 1200! That would destroy the last of my illusions ...........
Noooooooooooooooo

Paul_s 11 January 2015 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pubzombie (Post 996352)
I can't imagine facebook would work on my 1200! That would destroy the last of my illusions ...........
Noooooooooooooooo

oh don't sour your AGA chipset with that crap :)

I used to use FinalCopy IIb (pre-cursor to Final Writer) back in the day for college assignments and had no trouble converting them over to M$ Word... (can't recall what I imported it as)... slept since then :D

A1200 03 February 2015 01:56

I use wordworth 4SE included with the Escom magic pack. Also love Transwrite for its simplicity and stability.

Leandro Jardim 03 February 2015 05:32

I remember using FinalCopy on my "bare" A500 1MB with Kick 1.3, and yet today I think fantastic what it could do. For my tasks I think it was very tuned, albeit today it could be considered slow.

OlafSch 05 February 2015 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pubzombie (Post 995148)
Hi all,
This may seem a bit of a strange question - but.
When I was a student back in the day I wrote my undergraduate essays on an Amiga 500 and then 1200. I still have my original 1200 in my office at work.
If I wanted to write documents on my 1200 is it possible to easily transfer stuff to Microsoft word after?
Thanks in advance.
PZ

Perhaps one important reason for using FinalWriter... it is bought by members of the AROS community and is planned to be sold and in development again in future (along with FinalData)

hooverphonique 05 February 2015 13:08

yes, RTF and PS export in FinalWriter works quite well, I used it a lot while I was in university back in the 90's..

Mrs Beanbag 05 February 2015 20:39

i actually wrote stories in Devpac

terminills 20 May 2015 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlafSch (Post 1001956)
Perhaps one important reason for using FinalWriter... it is bought by members of the AROS community and is planned to be sold and in development again in future (along with FinalData)

:)

Yes I do have the rights to Final Writer and it is currently being worked on. No time frame is going to be given as to when it will be available. :)