English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Programming vs Playing Games (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99957)

sandruzzo 08 December 2019 10:33

Programming vs Playing Games

When I've started my path to become a programmer, somenthing happened to me, and its' still there: I lost interesting on Playing game.

Is that happened to you guys? :banghead

chip 08 December 2019 10:43

It's life ! :p

Losing interest in something and getting some new interest in other things ..... nothing strange ;)

sandruzzo 08 December 2019 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1363992)
It's life ! :p

Losing interest in something and getting some new interest in other things ..... nothing strange ;)

That's true

but it happened simultaneously. When I did my first commercial game(Steal Saviour), same thing: I couldn't even play it for a long time...

chip 08 December 2019 10:50

It happened at the same time because attraction of one interest was superior to the other i guess

I remember similar thing happened to me about programming

When i started my project ADA (ONLY fun) i IMMEDIATELY stopped doing programming as hobby

The new born hobby was superior to the old one :agree

LongLifeA1200 08 December 2019 11:07

That's what Play-Testers are for.

Retro_71 12 December 2019 00:58

Depends I still like playing games (not all the time though since i prefer reading or watching stuff now) as long as i haven't programmed the game.
But my wife hates games even thought she does business programming only. (nothing i can say would make her play any)

CFOU! 12 December 2019 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1363985)
When I've started my path to become a programmer, somenthing happened to me, and its' still there: I lost interesting on Playing game.

Is that happened to you guys? :banghead

in my case it is by period, if I code I no longer play, if I play I no longer code !!:nuts

Nightshft 12 December 2019 05:18

In gaming and in programming you are challenged to accomplish specific tasks. But these two are very distinct you need quite different mindsets to successfully solve each of them.

Retro-Nerd 12 December 2019 05:24

I think this is pretty normal at some point. You actually know how the "magic" behind the game works. I would assume a lot of actors or directors have the same take about making/watching movies.

sandruzzo 12 December 2019 05:34

Myabe its' even due to So boring Modern Games?

chip 12 December 2019 10:44

Yeah, satisfaction is the magic word

IMHO life is based on satisfaction or pleasure, as you want to call it

When something no more give us pleasure, we search for something else :D

At least, this is the way i operate :agree

CFOU! 12 December 2019 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1363994)
That's true

but it happened simultaneously. When I did my first commercial game(Steal Saviour), same thing: I couldn't even play it for a long time...

great ShootMUp with smooth scrolling:great

Steril707 12 December 2019 11:41

I play a bit here and there. Mostly Nintendo stuff like the newer Mario games and Zelda, etc.
Don't play much on the Amiga unfortunately..

CFOU! 12 December 2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1364675)
Myabe its' even due to So boring Modern Games?

but there are some pearls:
- witcher 3
- Rayman legends
- many good indies

gimbal 12 December 2019 11:55

I have the problem the other way around. I did programming on my gaming rig and constantly got distracted to play games instead. So I bought a separate machine to do programming on - a laptop so I can sit wherever I want, far away from my gaming machine.

Oh oh, the trials and tribulations of a gaming addicted brain. I blame the Amiga.

spiff 12 December 2019 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 1364674)
I think this is pretty normal at some point. You actually know how the "magic" behind the game works.

This :( Got the basics in post processing gfx and I cant help looking for the common short cuts.. really kills immersion..

Splatoon on switch helped me.. now I rage against spawn campers and afk:ers