English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   OT - Technical (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   IMB ThinkPad 390 type 2626 (HELP) (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98539)

XsamX1987 21 August 2019 12:38

IMB ThinkPad 390 type 2626 (HELP)
 
Hello

So I recently was given this lovely laptop

I would like to upgrade 2 things The HDD and Ram

Does anyone know the max capacity Hdd drive I can install

and if I'm correct it can handle 256mb of ram in 2 128mb modules does that sound correct

The Battery is dead but I can live with that

Any help would be great :)

nobody 21 August 2019 14:53

Recommended windows 98 SE
Max memory 256mb sd ram (2x128 sodimm 144pin)

jmmijo 21 August 2019 19:54

If it's using the older IDE interface, you can still get the notebook 44-pin interface HDD's, both mechanical and ssd.

I got an SSD model for my older P4 based notebook and it works great.

What you have to watch out for is the thickness or height of the drive, many notebooks would only accept up to a certain thickness to fit properly.

XsamX1987 22 August 2019 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1340407)
Recommended windows 98 SE
Max memory 256mb sd ram (2x128 sodimm 144pin)

Great thank you.

Lucky enough i have Windows 98 se stored away some where

and for the ram is this ok https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SDR-SDRAM...YAAOSwvuhdNHRq

XsamX1987 22 August 2019 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmijo (Post 1340464)
If it's using the older IDE interface, you can still get the notebook 44-pin interface HDD's, both mechanical and ssd.

I got an SSD model for my older P4 based notebook and it works great.

What you have to watch out for is the thickness or height of the drive, many notebooks would only accept up to a certain thickness to fit properly.

That's great news and I will watch out for the thickness, question am I limited on what size HDD I can put in is it only capable of let's say 10GB

jmmijo 22 August 2019 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by XsamX1987 (Post 1340542)
That's great news and I will watch out for the thickness, question am I limited on what size HDD I can put in is it only capable of let's say 10GB

Yes limited by the CMOS/BIOS and/or chipset, check the IBM or probably now the Lenovo site for the LEGACY specs on this notebook.

But I can say that the 128GB SSD I purchased was pretty cheap.

XsamX1987 22 August 2019 05:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmijo (Post 1340571)
Yes limited by the CMOS/BIOS and/or chipset, check the IBM or probably now the Lenovo site for the LEGACY specs on this notebook.

But I can say that the 128GB SSD I purchased was pretty cheap.

That's great thank you for your help, will update as i progress with it :)

nobody 22 August 2019 06:18

Some games:
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Diablo II
StarCraft: Broodwar

Also many dos games will run directly inside win98.

XsamX1987 22 August 2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1340587)
Some games:
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Diablo II
StarCraft: Broodwar

Also many dos games will run directly inside win98.

Thats Great i was going to look up some older games to play on it :)

If you think of any more please Add to your list

nobody 23 August 2019 10:37

Colin mcRae 2
Sega rally 1/2
Fallout 2
Arcanum...

Depends what you want to play.

nobody 23 August 2019 13:53

Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Dino crisis
Resident Evil 1
Riven
Silent Hill 1
Tomb raider 1/2
Nox
Icewind dale 1
Jagged alliance 2
Command & conquer red alert 2

XsamX1987 23 August 2019 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1340845)
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Dino crisis
Resident Evil 1
Riven
Silent Hill 1
Tomb raider 1/2
Nox
Icewind dale 1
Jagged alliance 2
Command & conquer red alert 2


Thanks And as asked i would say a mix and that's exactly what your giving :)

Anubis 04 September 2019 14:07

I would second jmmijo's opinion, put SSD into that sucker will make it fly and run faster than when was originally purchased.

As for games, it can play many good games, such as..

Earlier Civilization Games
Warcraft 1 -3
Master of Orion (1-3)
Master of Magic (Dos under Win98)
X-Com
Syndicate
Star Wars games (X-Wing, Tie Figher, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Dark Force, Dark Force 2....)
Lots of adventure games... (The Dig, Monkey Island series, etc.)


You might have some issues getting some DOS games to run, but if you have any questions, please PM me.

It takes some time to properly setup Win98SE to run without any issues DOS games, as long as you can find correct drivers for sound card and CD-ROM.

I have bunch of old laptops, but none of them support Win98 / dos drivers. :(

jlin_au 09 September 2019 21:18

Don't bother trying a modern SSD in this laptop; Win98SE lacks the TRIM support required by SSDs.

I'd go for a 44pin IDE to CF adapter card instead with a small capacity (<32 or <64GB) CF card.

This IBM Thinkpad was originally supplied in 1998 with a 3.2GB or 4.3GB IDE HDD; even the latest available BIOS in this Thinkpad may have issues recognizing a HDD of about 100GB.

My more modern original Thinkpad A21p (from late 2000) was originally supplied with a 32GB IDE 2.5" HDD and even the latest BIOS virsion failed to recognize a 100Gb HDD for boot purposes. Believe that the largest HDD it could boot from was 80GB.

Hewitson 10 September 2019 12:42

TRIM support is not required, but not having it will certainly reduce the lifespan of the disk.

Using a laptop for DOS is a shame though. You can't put a GUS in a laptop.

Anubis 10 September 2019 15:18

You first have to afford and find GUS. :lol

Speaking of sound, has anyone tried using RaspberryPi to emulate Rolland MT-32 for DOS machine?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.05414 seconds with 12 queries