English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.EAB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Remove annoying Tapatalk sigs? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89446)

Amiga1992 13 November 2017 15:55

Remove annoying Tapatalk sigs?

While we are cleaning stuff like Visitor Messages, can we have these annoying Tapatalk signatures removed or hidden?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DH (Post 1198617)
Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1199188)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnkBitten (Post 1198948)
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just to show a few I found today.

I hid signatures, but this shit is added to messages as regular text unless people turn them off. And I don't know about anybody else, but I have no interest to know from which fancy device a message has been sent.

trixster 13 November 2017 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1199202)
While we are cleaning stuff like Visitor Messages, can we have these annoying Tapatalk signatures removed or hidden?

Just to show a few I found today.

I hid signatures, but this shit is added to messages as regular text unless people turn them off. And I don't know about anybody else, but I have no interest to know from which fancy device a message has been sent.

Totally agree!

kipper2k 13 November 2017 16:24

doesn't fizz me at all.

sent from my old delapidated PC which occasionally crashes and makes the lights go dim every time turn it on

emufan 13 November 2017 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1199211)
and makes the lights go dim every time turn it on

I have one of these too :D

AmigaBoy 13 November 2017 16:52

I like that a moderator will have to edit the signature out of their own posts ;)

Tapatalk has an option to disable signatures. Everyone should do that.

DH 13 November 2017 17:22

I'm relatively new to tapatalk, I'll remove it :)

And done

Testing 123 this is sent using Tapatalk my sig should be gone.

Amiga1992 13 November 2017 17:36

Yeah I know it is an option, but Tapatalk is sneaky and adds it almost silently and many people do not realize it's doing that. It's really spammy.
Hopefully it can be erased from the messages completely, hidden or something, on the forum side, so people don't have to pay attention to it. I remember it took me a while to realize what I was doing.

I remember all the annoying emails that had a "Sent from my iPhone" shit stuck at the bottom, still to this day many people don't turn that garbage off!

DH 13 November 2017 17:40

I must admit I wasn't aware it was sending it. I guess when it has an update it'll default back to displaying Signatures again :rolleyes

The default of this should be OFF, not on

esc 13 November 2017 20:37

Wow, turns out this is pretty simple to do in tapatalk (which I've just done, thanks for bringing this up). That said, I hate to think we overengineer a solution to simply not have to read a silly one line signature. I also hate to think we consider implementing some draconian signature policy. Seems reasonable to me to ask people to turn their signature off, but I think we should probably stop there.

Amiga1992 13 November 2017 20:53

We had, for years, an option on EAB to hide signatures, this is what I mentioned on my first post.

I don't see anyone's signatures.

Leffmann 13 November 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by esc (Post 1199266)
I also hate to think we consider implementing some draconian signature policy.

I think that little Tapatalk advertisement is a bit annoying too, and signatures as part of the post like these have explicitly been against the rules since like forever, but none of the mods have ever enforced it (or even been aware it's actually against the rules, it seems).

BippyM 13 November 2017 21:01

I solved it really easily... I deleted Tapatalk ;)

I only used it so I would get notifications, so I am eagerly awaiting RCK including them

Predseda 13 November 2017 21:04

Tapatalk itself is annoying.

Sent from my Amiga 600 using its Keyboard.

DH 13 November 2017 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 1199270)
I think that little Tapatalk advertisement is a bit annoying too, and signatures as part of the post like these have explicitly been against the rules since like forever, but none of the mods have ever enforced it (or even been aware it's actually against the rules, it seems).

I used to, and even pointed out the rules to them, but gave up due to the sheer number of people ending their posts with:-

Kind regards
Joe Blogs

EDIT: Problem is, who is actually reading the rules when they join up? On the old CiA forum you had to read and accept them to join, any changes that were made thereafter were also required to be read and accepted before members could continue onto the forum.

Besides, a lot of people would argue that we're simply being too petty and should be concentrating on other matters :sad

BippyM 13 November 2017 21:27

But now we have a full, improved GM team we could start enforcing this again.

The signature rule needs to be updated to incorporate things like this.

nogginthenog 13 November 2017 21:27

Don't like Tapatalk. I would love a Usenet gateway for EAB. Years ago WOS forums had one (may have been screen-scraped?). I could even use Thor on my A4000 :)

Amiga1992 13 November 2017 22:15

Yeah the Tapatalk sig clearly goes against the rules we used to enforce in the mod team, but the main problem is, that many people don't even know the sig is there because Tapatalk inserts it sneakily.

They might see it later, but two further things could happen

1 - They might not know it is against the rules, because they didn't read them and because nobody enforces that rule
2 - If they are also reading from within Tapatalk, they might not realize this is seen everywhere, also on the web. It kinda looks like "oh this is another Tapatalk user"

In an ideal world, everyone should turn that shit off.
In the case they slip through, either a mod takes action, or the system snips it automatically. I am all in for the mods to have LESS to do than normally, so hence my preference for an automatic editing of posts that include it.

prowler 13 November 2017 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BippyM (Post 1199285)
But now we have a full, improved GM team we could start enforcing this again.

We'd be wasting our time. I spent about a fortnight, after Tapatalk sigs first started to appear, removing them from every post I found one in and explaining what I had done, only to find them appearing again and again whenever those users posted subsequently.

I am not surprised now to discover that these signatures are turned on by default and that the users are unaware of what's happening because of this. However, not even the knowledge that their posts were repeatedly being edited was sufficient to persuade any of them to disable this feature!

I don't want a repeat of that! :mad

Quote:

Originally Posted by BippyM (Post 1199285)
The signature rule needs to be updated to incorporate things like this.

Quite so. ;)

BippyM 13 November 2017 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 1199309)
I am not surprised now to discover that these signatures are turned on by default and that the users are unaware of what's happening because of this. However, not even the knowledge that their posts were repeatedly being edited was sufficient to persuade any of them to disable this feature!
Quite so. ;)

We should possibly add a guide showing you how to disable the signature..

DH 13 November 2017 23:04

Profile, Settings, down to signature, either switch off completely for all forums, or select EAB and switch it off from there only... Simples