English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ClassicWB Important Information & Update Status (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13494)

Bloodwych 04 May 2004 00:00

ClassicWB Important Information & Update Status

PLEASE NOTE:

In order to use this Workbench, you MUST follow the install procedure provided

You'll need a valid Workbench 3.0/3.1 ADF, without one the install will fail

Vital and copyright files contained on the disk will be copied during the installation

This is required because Workbench is still sold commercially

The copyright holders can be found at: http://amigaforever.com/

Thanks to the EAB community over the last few years, the Classic Workbench packs have now reached a high standard of maturity. In light of this, it’s sensible to have one thread for all Classic Workbench developments. It consists of three sections that will be kept up-to-date – Update Status, News, & Current Releases.

Update Status

26th December 2015 - All Packs Updated. Main changes:

Version Info: v28 -> version 28 - update revision 2

No features have changed, hence no change in version number, except updating a few files to the most recent versions:

WHDLoad 18.2 - no more registration required, but please consider making a donation to this brilliant software if possible

November 2015 update 1 fixed PeterKs icon install scripts in certain Scalos versions also some files were updated - PFS3 AIO, WinUAE and UAE control files, DiskSalv, RiVA (P96), Frogger (P96)

6th October 2013 - All Packs Updated. Main changes:

Version Info: v28 -> version 28 - update revision 0

v28
  • PeterK Icon.Library support added for fast OS35+ GlowIcon and PNG Icon supprt (not GAAE version)
  • UAE version updated to latest WinUAE
  • WHDLoad updated to v17.1
  • PatchRAM added to show available free space in the RAMDISK
  • TagLiFE added to speed up ultility.library calls and improve stability
  • Various fixes to the WB1.3 icon pack
  • MyClock Titlebar clock added to OS35 and OS39 as an alternative to TinyMeter
  • Reorganized the System, Settings and Components menus on the OS35 and OS39 packs
  • MyFiles/LargeHD drawer updated with latest files and tools
  • Added Toni's PFS3 All-In-One filesystem to MyFile/LargeHD
  • IconType can now be changed from the popup Menu in all versions (TTManager, MUI IconType)
  • Updates to Workbench enable/disable components scripts
  • Various small fixes and optimizations

Update packs may be available

News

This has been the biggest gap between updates since the packs began over 10 years ago!

It's been more of lack of time rather than lack of interest, but I will always come back to throw in a few updates and of course bring WHDLoad up to the latest release.

The big update this time around is all thanks to PeterK and his brilliant Icon.Library, which has made such a huge difference to Workbench users everywhere. It's a library that allows pretty much every type of Amiga Icon, including OS35+ GlowIocns and PNG Icons, to be displayed on a wide range of Amigas and Workbenchs! This is something people have wanted for a very long time.

Not only that, but it has improved performance as well allowing even ECS machines to render icons at acceptable speeds. One thing I'm especially thankful for is that he has kindly put together a pack which allowed me to integrate this into the Scalos run versions, including a FixScalos executable and an example Startup-Script. He has also provided much appreciated support by answering questions about the pack.

Using this pack meant that the IconType functionality built into Scalos requesters was not functional. This was remedied by adding the utility MUIIcon type to the popup menus and works great as a quick alternative to changing Icon Types easily (eg Project, Tool Drawer, Disk etc) in Scalos Info Requesters. As a bonus, the Scalos requesters also get an update with a nice new look and layout.

In the normal Workbench versions (not the Workbench 2.1 GAAE), PeterKs Icon.Library can be easily enabled/disabled as with all other ClassicWB components - using the Settings->Components menu.

In the Scalos versions, you'll find an Install/Remove script in the "MyFiles/Install/Icons" drawer, very similar to how SFS support is added. A Reboot is required to load/flush the relevant LoadModule updates and patches.

Since the ADVSP version is NewIcon by default, all icons will also be converted across to the more efficient OS35+ Glow format during the Install procedure in order to further boost performance. Should you Remove PeterKs Icon Library, the icons will default back to NewIcon format.

The Icon Update tools that come with the ClassicWB pack will also convert icons to the more efficient Glow Icon format if you have PeterKs Library Installed.

Other updates are listed above, but the big news is finally having GlowIcons and PNG Icon Support in all versions except the GAAE.

Also a big thanks to RCK also for hosting the files. I will be using the Donation button very soon RCK as soon as I have my payment details handy.

Well that's it, enjoy and thanks to all of you for keeping EAB alive and kicking!!!

Current Releases

VISIT MAIN CLASSIC WORKBENCH SITE

Special Thanks & Credits

- Kindly hosted by RCK

- Original "Pre-Installed" Workbench Concepts: AmigaForever and AIAB

- AIAB author 'Jaybee' for his inspirational work and original install ideas.

- Big thanks to EmuChicken for cleaning up the HTML code

- UAE, WinUAE authors and Toni Wilen for an essential software tool

- Optimized 16 colour Palette kindly offered courtesy of Rebel and Cammy

- AGLaunch author Zetro for time spent on his launcher

- PeterK for all his work on the OS3.5+ and PNG Icon.Library

- Support very much appreciate from: Paul, Thomas, Marco, Killergorilla, Anubis

- Finally a link to the ClassicWB Shoutouts page

Useful Links

ClassicWB Support Forum

ClassicWB Feedback and Guestbook

If you’d like a go at building your own Workbench setup but don’t know where to start, have a read through the great Paul the Green Amiga Alien Guide

VirusZ and information on important Library files worth updating can be found over at Virus Help Denmark

Why not show some support for the fantastic Scalos. This is a superb Workbench addition and many of the ClassicWB features are only possible through this package. Keep informed and up-to-date by visiting the Homepage. There you can download the latest beta. ClassicWB uses latest (non-beta) public release - 1.2d

Aminet – essential resource for any Workbench user and great source for ClassicWB updates

Needs no introduction – page for updates and donating WHDload

Bloodwych 15 June 2004 01:10

News
  • VirusZ v1.1 has been released
  • XVS 33.42 has been released
- see virus denmark link in first post to download.

Bloodwych 17 July 2004 12:01

News
  • Thanks to Magix for the heads up - WHDload 16.3 has been released!

Bloodwych 27 July 2004 18:56

News
  • SFS 1.227 has been released - grab it from Aminet.

The next ClassicWB will have a user option for SFS support in popup menus and extra SFS utilities. Requested by KillerGorilla. :)

Bloodwych 20 August 2004 17:59

News
  • VirusZ 1.2 has been released!
- see virus Denmark link in opening post for details.

And since I’m here, I’ll provide a few next release details:
  • Usual WHDload, VirusZ, SFS, libs etc. updates
  • New FF0: problem-free virtual floppy system. Current one causes some issues with ADF software (like tsgui) because it's created in RAM. Replacement script fixes this by switching to the harddrive.
  • Full SFS support with new utilities (use choice). Easily add and remove SFS popup menu options.
  • Dopus upgrade to 4.16 making use of current libs for extra features (popup menu, XAD, XFD, etc). Now you can use Dopus to extract/view archives just like directories! Also added to the LITE version.
  • Browse Function added to popup menus. Open any window/path straight into Dopus!
  • Massive Icon updates – mainly in the programs drawer. Every single icon on all five versions has been painstakingly updated to fit the given theme. Now that takes a LONG time. Phew!
  • Wheel Mouse support (user choice).
  • More user install options added to MyFiles.
  • Script updates for general ClassicWB operation.
  • General clean up of redundant files, icons and window positions.

The Classic Workbench LITE has also had some refinements, without using any extra RAM of course. :)

Release – TBA.

Bloodwych 06 September 2004 14:24

News

Big update!

New site, new packages, new install method, new everything! :)

See opening post and main site for all the details.

Bloodwych 12 October 2004 12:05

News

New packages - now in RAR format due to multiple requests to drop 7zip.

Decided to do this update early due to some critical compatibility issues.
  • Fixed compatibility issue with Dopus 416 and certain 3.1 ROMS.
  • When a disk is busy, being formatted or not recognised (NDOS) its icon doesn't default back to the original Commodore 2-colour effort. Now uses a replacement.
  • Shell directory feature added to popup menus – open the path of a windows drawer directly into shell.
  • Floppy Disk Caching program added under tools menu (Enable FDC).
  • Personal Paint added to non-P96 packages.
  • Perfect Paint replaces Personal Paint in P96 version (better RTG support).
  • Dopus 416 - missing .CLA file added and undergone a big update.
  • Dopus IconInfo command changed so it’s compatible with newicons.
  • Dopus buttons altered – big improvements.
  • KCon (shell replacement) now has a close button on the window.
  • Changed the Scalos Prefs to "Mac selection" (no need to hold shift to move multiple files) and un-checked "non mask click" (transparent areas on newicons are still selectable).
  • Optimised some icons – should load slightly quicker.
  • Tidied “Icons” drawer in ADVSP version to reduce the folder size.
  • Removed TopazPatch from ADV/SP/P96 due to compatibility issues.
  • Replaced some prefs programs with MUI versions in ADV/SP/P96.
  • Updated and added more archive .exe files to directory c.
  • Improved startup-scripts for 3.1 users.
  • Edited some stack values for improved safety with certain programs.
  • Various script and menu enhancements.
  • Changed TUDE window back to icons. List mode caused some issues.
  • Changed download packaging to pre-3.0 RAR archives, which are supported in a wide range of OS formats including the Amiga.

Bloodwych 10 December 2004 19:38

News
  • Thanks to Keropi for the heads up - WHDload 16.4 has been released!

Bloodwych 25 December 2004 15:04

News

Well it's :xmas day so I thought I'd do my bit with presents and release updated ClassicWB packs. Development has changed slightly - this thread and the main ClassicWB site are for the non-P96 packs.

The P96 version is now developed separately in this thread

Anyway EAB peeps, for those who celebrate I hope you're all having a good :xmas time. Enjoy! :spin
  • Brand new Startup-Sequence. Use the mouse buttons to select type of boot – Normal, Minimum and CLI – for running memory hungry games
  • WHDload updated to 16.4
  • Added picture filetype support in Dopus
  • Open workbench windows button added to Dopus
  • Filetype support improved
  • Re-installed PC2Ami config program that somehow went missing
  • Printer prefs and folders tidied up
  • Songplayer for better MP3/WAV/CDDA support in FULL-ADVSP versions
  • 2 Wbgames added! 1 removed (Krsnake)
  • Selection of mods included in the MyFiles/Music directory
  • Eagleplayer configured to play files in MyFiles/Music upon launch
  • Returned to default wbpattern & palette prefs due to compatibility
  • Dpaint IV AGA, the fastest and most stable release of the series, replaces Dpaint V in LITE version (other versions use Personal Paint)
  • moreHTML added to lite version for viewing WHDload manual
  • Dpaint IV, V – now exist as future extra addon packs only
  • Removed FcopyII – now exists as future extra addon pack
  • Various minor enhancements

Bloodwych 11 December 2005 11:25

News

It’s close to xmas day so I’ve completed my yearly update. Not much to add as the Amiga development scene is pretty dead:

v19.2
  • Minor config changes.
  • SFS updated to 1.247
  • Installer updated to 44.10 as required by some WHDload packs.
  • CRC16 added to the C directory.
  • LZX executable replaced with Y2K fixed 68000EC version. Don’t use 020/060 executables as they can produce errors.

Bloodwych 22 December 2006 00:04

News

That time of year again – the ClassicWB xmas updates! :xmas

There are the usual software updates and some nice new features. This thread outlines a couple of them in more detail.

v19.3
  • Optional Fblit & Ftext added for speed & chipram improvements
  • Workbench scripts, menus and dual boot function improved
  • Word processing support added as standard to all packages
  • Classact installed
  • MP3 support improved
  • WHDload updated to 16.7
  • SFS updated to 1.265

Bloodwych 03 January 2007 23:54

News

ClassicWB Final has been released!

After five years of slow development, this project is now considered complete.

All future updates will be in the form of a separate small revision package posted on the main site. This will update key programs still in development such as SFS/WHDload and news posted here as normal. Pending a major bug or flaw in the final packages, the structure of the Workbench is no longer under development and all features contained within can be considered final. Everyone can now safely customise their Classic Workbench's for the final time and never have to re-install.

Thanks for all the kind support over the years and hope you've found this project useful.

Version Info: v20F u0 -> version 20 Final - update revision 0
  • HDFs increased to from 100 to 200 MB in size
  • AWeb v3.4 added
  • TCP/IP Stack placed in Install Folder (user choice)
  • TSGUI v2.2
  • Expansion->Update folder and script added for future update packs :)
  • JFIF datatype updated
  • Device FF0: updated
  • Final check and tidy up

Bloodwych 21 August 2007 11:12

News

ClassicWB Update Revision 1 has been released!

All main packs have been updated and update packages are available for those running v20F u0.

For more details please visit the ClassicWB Update thread.

v20F u1
  • Altered Popup and Main Menu design
  • Missing default Workbench shortcut keys added (MASSIVE oversight)
  • Program Launch shortcut keys added
  • Missing Keymaps added
  • SFS updated to 1.273
  • WHDload updated to 16.8
  • Small additions to scripts

Bloodwych 16 September 2007 22:36

News

ClassicWB Update Revision 2 has been released!

All main packs have been updated and update packages are available for those running v20F or above.

For more details please visit the ClassicWB Update thread.

The main reason for this update is to remove default double click icon support for archives through VoodooX. This was due to it not re-creating empty directories, causing issues with some software and WHDload games upon decompression. It's been replaced with WizArc, using known good shell extractors.

v20F u2
  • Faulty VoodooX double click archive support replaced with WizArc
  • "Say", the famous Utility from earlier Workbench versions, added
  • Updated DirOpus config
  • LHA updated to latest release v2.12
  • Small Popup menu updates - added more startup files like shell-startup, whdload prefs etc
  • Small updates and tidy-up of scripts
  • Lite version has gained virtual floppy and better adf writing support

Bloodwych 03 December 2007 18:17

News

Oh my goodness! Can it be that time of year again?!!! Evil Snowman time soon EABers and that can mean only one thing. It's time for some ClassicWB updates! I'm a little early this year as a house move will be limiting my free time nearer the big day. So here it goes:

ClassicWB v21F has been released!

Yes, I know I said v20F was the last major release, but a change of heart was fuelled by some more cool features to add. Will this be the last major release? Hopefully, but you never know… ;)

People who want the latest version will therefore have to update using a fresh install I’m afraid, as some of the updates can’t be provided without over-writing user settings.

The update packs for v20F will remain available, but no new ones beyond the current u2 are planned.

The first v21F update packs will surface once required (usually when WHDLoad and SFS need updating).

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but these update packs take too much time if they are permitted to grow too big, as ever more complicated scripts have to be written and tested for backward compatibility as new features are added. The only solution is the occasional fresh start and therefore major step in version number.

v21F
  • New Install script - option to upgrade all files to Workbench 3.1
  • Scout added to replace SysInfo in ADV and above versions
  • Launch Pad added as optional start console, with listers for WHDload demos & games!
  • AHI now standard in all versions
  • Picture datatype updated
  • BlazeWCP added to accelerate chunky writes if supported (default disabled)
  • ENV-handler added to save memory if enabled (default disabled)
  • New, better Icon Install program
  • IconBeFast added to speed up NewIcons (default disable)
  • OpenURL library added
  • New Copper Daemon effect and its Workbench screenmode limitation removed
  • Palette usage improved
  • PPaint icon library added so you can use it to edit and save icons
  • Many additions and improvements to the LITE version
  • WBstartup drawer priority control added
  • Icons drawer attributes set to be "KillNewIcon" friendly

Bloodwych 07 January 2008 00:26

News

In order to celebrate KillerGorilla's brilliant WHDLoad game packs reaching completion, I decided to add full-integrated support to the ClassicWB packs. This version replaces the short-lived v21F release, and I apologise in advance to those who've installed v21F. I normally would have done upgrade packs, but I just don't have the time at the moment to create them.

v22F
  • WHDLoad launcher now has auto-search scripts for games/demos and full built-in support
  • Various small improvements, bug fixes and optimizations. None serious.

Not much I know, oh well - I guess something is better than nothing. :laughing

Bloodwych 18 August 2008 15:26

News

Kind of a forced update this one. It was pointed out to me that kickstart images, required for WHDLoad, were left in the packs. These had to be removed immediately so while doing this I took the opportunity to update and optimize the Workbench setups further. The webpage has also had some extra information added to cover the newer features and WHDLoad kickstart requirements.

v23F
  • WHDLoad kickstart files removed (now have to be added manually)
  • iGame added as another option to launch WHDLoad titles (not in GAAE or LITE)
  • WHDLoad/program launcher optimizations - much faster, better shortcut key support
  • Install and 3.1 upgrade script improvements

Bloodwych 25 December 2008 12:49

News

Quite a large update, with some essential features added. The multiboot features have had a big facelift in preparation for fully integrating KillerGorilla's Launcher in the future. The current support for KGLoad is in its beta phase, but it should be easy to upgrade it as KillerGorilla releases new versions.

A new 68K version of the ClassicWB LITE is now available for those with A500/600's and 3.1 ROMS. The GAAE is still supported for standard 2.0 ROM users.

The OS39 version has finally been released, but I decided to keep it as a private download request rather than go public as it's not a "Classic Workbench" in my opinion - that still falls in the area of 3.0/1. I also don't want everyone bypassing the 3.0/1 Scalos packs and heading straight for 3.9 just because it's newer - I still think the 3.0/1 packs are better, unless you require native 4GB+ support and large Glowicons.

The OS39 pack may be converted over to support OS3.5 in the future, but I think someone will have to offer to do the job as I don't feel motivated myself. I simply have too many versions already!

v24
  • WHDLoad Crash/Dump files removed saving 2MB - left there by accident!
  • Script attributes added to executable scripts in C: directory so they can be launched via shell
  • AntiClick (disk drive clicking) enable/disable option added
  • Copper Background now a fully integrated component - enable/disable option added
  • Shell Removed from ButtonMenu and placed on Workbench to avoid path issue
  • New "Drawers" Workbench icon to quickly open main drawers with minimum RAM usage
  • TinyMeter added as a installable component
  • FreeWheel/Click2Front now a fully integrated component
  • Exchange handler added to Workbench to control commodities
  • Popupmenus/ButtonLists updated
  • SFS updated to the latest 1.279 and older SCSI-Direct version now included
  • Fixed "Reset" option under "Settings->System" so it now actually works!
  • New bootmenus if you hold either left or right mouse button on boot
  • RAD: Launch available for programs that require maximum resources
  • Tidied Startup/Sequence files
  • Massive Improvements to GAAE/LITE versions
  • iGame updated to 1.5
  • New 68K version
  • OS3.9 version released via pm request - OS3.9 HDF install required for activation
  • Beta KGLoad support included

Bloodwych 25 December 2009 11:25

News

Well here we are again – another year, another ClassicWB release.

That means an up-to-date WHDLoad and some nice extras, plus one or two fixes to issues that popped up during the year.

The main changes in these packs are large drive support to bring them on par with OS39, loads of new DOS drivers for flash card users and a nice optimised iGame artwork pack that a user can install while activating.

Speaking of OS3.9, this year once again brings new members to the family – previous years the 68000 versions surfaced, this year ClassicWB OS35 and OS39! They're available for public download, a long time coming I know.

Enjoy my friends!

v25
  • Many DOS Drivers added – CFD, Fat95, Fat32, NTFS, EXT2 to name a few.
  • AmiCDFS2 added to the My Files/Install drawer
  • Help files tidied up – better organised
  • AWebb default settings optimized
  • Assign system for games, demos and system drawers simplified
  • Ability to move Games/Demos and user drawers to other partitions now even easier
  • Latest WHDLoad v16.9
  • iGame art pack added, optimized for 640x256 and 640x512 (user selectable option)
  • iGame beta replacement fixes "Alt" scan bug
  • Large Hard Drive Support for Workbench 2.1-3.1 :)
  • kgiconload added to Dopus to launch programs and WHDload games
  • Overscan prefs removed - all screens default size (640x256, 640x512)
  • MUI Prefs replacements removed from ADV ADVSP (Time prefs bugged)
  • ClassicWB LITE now has full MUI install (had hybrid support before)
  • Youtube vids recorded for using extra partitions and activating Large HD support
  • Large HD EAB Thread re-wrote to reflect new >4GB support

Bloodwych 04 March 2011 13:25

News

Missed the xmas deadline this year, but that ended up being a bonus as Zetro released the awesome AGLaunch, an Amiga Guide based WHDLoad launcher! Take a look:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57404

What this means is the packs now have a nice low mem option for launching WHDLoad games, especially using the Multi-Boot functions - but be aware the launcher is not considered a final complete release. What Zetro has done in a short period of time is brilliant and I'd like to thank him for making it fit into the packs so snugly. Future releases should just drop into place, so keep an eye out for Zetro activity. :)

Also big in the new packs is Rebel's optimized 16 palette which Cammy helped test and show off with her fantastic advice and screenshots. This palette made it possible to include some theme choices during install in order to add a little spice to the ClassicWB appearence. No Birdie or replacement skins are provided - this is after all a ClassicWB - but look out for Rebel's and Cammy's info regarding new icons and skins if you want to take things further. Big thanks to those two.

Also must mention PixelOz, who gave permission to include one of his wallpapers in the packs from this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38694 . mfilos kind of gave me the incentive to include it, after posting a Rebel optimized 16 colour screenshot. I thought it looked great, so in it went!

All the packs have a better install routine now, with more options that make the biggest differences. Not all options are covered however, so still check the Settings menus for enable/disable options as in past releases.

Here are some changes - I'm terrible at keeping this part clear and always forget stuff. So in no particular order:

v26
  • BorderBlank kicks in when Copper is disabled
  • LHA Updated to 2011 bug fixed version
  • ECS friendly OOBE (Out of Box Experience) - 16 colours max and Copper disabled options
  • Three palette choices, different wallpaper designs depending on choice (Ex. GAAE, 68K)
  • CyberBugFixAGA added to 3.5/9 versions (Not required in Scalos) saving 60K Chipram
  • AGLaunch added to menus and Multi-Boot options - thanks Zetro!
  • WHDLoad 17 (beta - required for AGLaunch)
  • Rebel's Optimized Palette (thanks Rebel & Cammy) added to all versions (Ex. GAAE, 68K)
  • Run menus updated and reorganized slightly
  • Cosmos beta SCSI-device added to LargeHD drawer (development ongoing)
  • Sticky Right Mouse button option in Scalos Versions
  • Visual Prefs added in OS3.5/9 versions
  • Image Studio in P96 version with palettes to design wallpapers for all other versions
  • Brand new Install Routine with requesters
  • Ram icon can be snapshot in OS3.5/9 versions (forgot all about this!)
  • Some bad links on the Buttonmenus fixed