English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   paula 2 mods playing (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93147)

turrican3 25 June 2018 03:59

paula 2 mods playing

Hi guys,
is it possible for Paula to plays two 4 voices mods ???
Mixing them or else ??? Or perhaps a little tool ???
What is possible ??

meynaf 25 June 2018 07:53

That's possible with software mixing but i don't see the point.

turrican3 25 June 2018 08:14

I mean mixing them in real time !!!
I launch the 1st and the 2nd at the same time.
We know that amiga can support some tricks to have more than 4 voices.
I said perhaps there is a trick which could play the 1st mod on the 4 first voices and the second on the others 4 left ??
But something ce could launch in the startup-sequence.
It creates the 8 voices and when 2 mods are played it dspatches the tracks.
It could be interessting with some games without music...
the sndfx could work and we could launch a mod too. Possibly, in theory.
without more than 4 voices you know well the problem.:)
And of course all of this on the fly, if possible. ;)

turrican3 25 June 2018 08:27

If it's possible to emulate 8 voices within whload then perhaps it could be possible to have games like "fire and brimstone" or "ninja warriors" which have beautiffull intro music but no music in game mixing the 2 together when the 1st stage is launch.

the slave could keep the intro music in memory and keep play it together with the sfx when the 1st stage is launched.
Meynaf, i hope it's clear, if not pm me in french. ;)
ps: It could perhaps even be possible to change the mods at the begining of each new level.
I think all of this could be possible but not on a stock amiga 500 but on amiga 1200 (yes).

meynaf 25 June 2018 09:20

It's not as easy as running some background program.
What you ask here would require heavy patching for every game, because it needs redirecting all audio accesses to some abstraction layer.

While theoretically possible, it's a big amount of work for a relatively small benefit.

turrican3 25 June 2018 09:24

I just think about 2 or 3 reall games without really good music no more.
But i don't know if you mean that it should be long for 1 game or for more games.
Sorry if i understand not well the difficulty. :o
ps : i think i see... everytime a sfx is played you will have to retarged it or something like that ! that's it in more difficult i suppose.

daxb 25 June 2018 12:58

It would make more sense to create a new game with your wished features instead of hacking an existing old game. Learn some more about how Amiga and games work. Then you will have your answer. :)

Shatterhand 25 June 2018 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 1250377)
If it's possible to emulate 8 voices within whload then perhaps it could be possible to have games like "fire and brimstone" or "ninja warriors" which have beautiffull intro music but no music in game mixing the 2 together when the 1st stage is launch.

the slave could keep the intro music in memory and keep play it together with the sfx when the 1st stage is launched.
Meynaf, i hope it's clear, if not pm me in french. ;)
ps: It could perhaps even be possible to change the mods at the begining of each new level.
I think all of this could be possible but not on a stock amiga 500 but on amiga 1200 (yes).

I really would love if we could patch games so SFX would silence a music channel and then add MUSIC + SFX to any game which lacks it.

Unfortunately, as it has been said, this is not simple to do.

turrican3 25 June 2018 20:35

I must admit, i was in lack of sleep and certainly dreaming awake.
But the amiga was always about dreaming and hopefully some still dreaming ... Amiga ppc, vampire accelerator... amiga 1000 and so on (others will say lost of time).
in 1985 a multitask computer like the amiga was just a dream.
But my lack of knowledge about coding makes me dream sometimes too big, but in the same time when you see the port of another wolrd 2 from segacd,no long ago, make me think that dreams still become reality from time to time.
If i said why not porting another world 2 !!! The answer would have be that i'm dreaming awake but this is it !! it's a reality.
sam's journey on c64 is a big dream too.
The live without dream is a little boring.
Thanks to all coders and hardware makers who still dreaming and worked so hard without them, the amiga couldn't be so alive today.
Same respect for Meynaf, he did so much dreams come true with his atari -> amiga conversions.

8bitbubsy 26 June 2018 16:53

It's just too much work for a small gain that only a handful of people would want. It's common to dream big and then get your dreams crushed when you realize how irrational they were.

alexh 24 August 2018 11:57

If you have an A4000 they have a hardware CDDA + Paula mixer on the motherboard don't they?

The CDTV and CD32 definitely have it.

So for games where you would like to do this, can't you dream up a CD version of the game with the 2nd mod as CDDA?

And add the hooks into the games to play the relevant CDDA tracks at the right times?

I think that is do-able.

SW mixing two mods, without a sound card doesn't seem practical. Yes I know some people have done this recently for the Atari STe, but it effectively has two sound chips, one of which wasn't being used.

demolition 24 August 2018 13:09

Play the game in WinUAE and keep another WinUAE running in the background with the game sitting on the title screen. That should work. :)

graffias79 24 August 2018 19:27

Old versions of OctaMED can do 8 channel audio and it takes a heavy toll on the CPU especially a stock 68000.