English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What is your favorite Amiga Doom port? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104930)

DungeonMaster85 07 December 2020 01:09

What is your favorite Amiga Doom port?

Hello!
Doom, the game that at one point, was thought impossible to run on the Amiga, has since been ported as a result of the source code release :). Now, there are several very good ports, such as Adoom, ZhaDoom, and Doomattack. So my question is, which one do you like the best out of all of the source ports? So far I have tried out Adoom, and liked it very much, as a result of it's very nice music, and dehacked support.

DungeonMaster85 08 December 2020 14:24

Anybody??? :sad

DamienD 08 December 2020 14:58

I already mentioned in one of your other threads: ZDoom

Thing to note though is that I only emulate; so not sure how any of these ports run on real Amiga hardware.

dreamkatcha 08 December 2020 18:26

Maybe people would rather just play the original via DOSBox? I've never tried any of the Amiga ports, but then I was never that fussed about Doom in the first place.

Gilbert 08 December 2020 18:41

Gloom on CD32

Mad-Matt 08 December 2020 18:47

On a real Amiga, Doomattack for 68k or AdoomPPC athough doomattack is a better game with all its extra features.

Foebane 08 December 2020 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DungeonMaster85 (Post 1444868)
Hello!
Doom, the game that at one point, was thought impossible to run on the Amiga, has since been ported as a result of the source code release :). Now, there are several very good ports, such as Adoom, ZhaDoom, and Doomattack. So my question is, which one do you like the best out of all of the source ports? So far I have tried out Adoom, and liked it very much, as a result of it's very nice music, and dehacked support.

DoomAttack, as it allowed me to reconfigure all of my keys as to how they would be on the PC, as well as use the mouse. BTW, I don't use WASD like 99% of people, I use my own better keys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamkatcha (Post 1445116)
Maybe people would rather just play the original via DOSBox? I've never tried any of the Amiga ports, but then I was never that fussed about Doom in the first place.

Yes, you've already made that opinion known elsewhere. Maybe give it a rest? It IS a gaming classic that supercedes individual platforms, after all.

dreamkatcha 09 December 2020 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1445191)
Yes, you've already made that opinion known elsewhere. Maybe give it a rest? It IS a gaming classic that supercedes individual platforms, after all.

I was suggesting a reason people might not have much to say on the subject rather than being flippant, if that's the way it came across.

Foebane 09 December 2020 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamkatcha (Post 1445257)
I was suggesting a reason people might not have much to say on the subject rather than being flippant, if that's the way it came across.

Well, I've played Doom in MS-DOS, Windows, DOSBox and various Windows source ports over the years, as well as on Amiga, and to be honest, I think the Amiga is the worst way to play the game, especially since it wasn't designed for it in the first place.

roondar 09 December 2020 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1445327)
Well, I've played Doom in MS-DOS, Windows, DOSBox and various Windows source ports over the years, as well as on Amiga, and to be honest, I think the Amiga is the worst way to play the game, especially since it wasn't designed for it in the first place.

Yeah, I agree.

To me, playing Doom on the Amiga is more about seeing how well it can be done despite the system not being designed for it and less about playing the game itself. More so because my A1200 only has a 68030 to begin with. If I really want to play Doom/Doom II, well... I have the GOG version.

Anyway, on the Amiga I'd agree that DoomAttack is quite good - especially on lower end systems such as mine :D

DungeonMaster85 10 December 2020 00:13

I totally agree. I much prefer modern PC source ports like crispy doom, since they load more quickly, run at higher frame rates, and control better. The main reason I got Doom working on the Amiga was because I thought it would be cool to see it run on the Amiga, and to brag about how powerful my Amiga is! :D
Also, I guess I'll have to try out DoomAttack. It sounds a lot more similar to the likes of crispy doom, my port of choice.

khph_re 10 December 2020 13:05

I played doom attack a few times out of curiosity, it ran ok. If it had come out earlier, before I had a PC, I think I would have been more excited. By the time I played it on Amiga, I had already played it on PC, PS1 and N64.

Tbh, I think Alien breed 3D 1 and 2 probably had the effect on me that Doom had on the people who owned a PC when it a new release.

By the time I played Doom, it's wow factor was much diminished.

nikosidis 10 December 2020 14:05

Dread ;)

DungeonMaster85 10 December 2020 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikosidis (Post 1445453)
Dread ;)

What is dread? :confused
Is it another Amiga game?

roondar 10 December 2020 14:44

It's an rather impressive attempt to bring a doom-like game to the A500 with 1 MB. Considering the hardware it runs on, it's quite amazing. But to be clear, it does miss some features compared to Doom and well... It's an A500 so don't expect 35FPS ;)

There's a massive thread about it (including several videos showing off game play and the progress of the project) here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98654

Matt_H 10 December 2020 16:08

One of the very first ports, right after id released the source code, was, I think, AmigaDoom. I used that initially but it was soon outclassed by ADoom, which I used from then on.

More recently I’ve been trying DoomAttack and, wow, is that one fast. Runs beautifully on 030/040 systems with the MIDI music disabled. It supports tracker music playback with virtually no speed penalty, though. I just wish someone would convert the full game soundtracks to a supported tracker format so it would be playable with music! (Only a partial conversion of the Doom 2 soundtrack is available.) I tried but got stuck :(. Haven’t had a chance to look at it again in a while.

A DoomAttack-level port probably would have pushed a lot of accelerator sales (and kept a lot of users from leaving the platform) if it had been available in 1994/95. Oh well.

d4rk3lf 10 December 2020 16:14

I must say I simply like the fact that we have Doom version for OCS (020 and above)
I even tried it in Winuae, and it was actually better then I expected.

And it have somewhat unique look to it. :)