English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   3do (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11782)

Fred the Fop 01 November 2003 12:23

3do

With the advent of the 3DO emulator FreeDo, I am trying out games for a system I never played.
I did not miss much.
The PC ports are pretty lame, for the most part. Originality was low, and if there was an original game it usually was horrible. This has to be the second lamest next gen platform (besides the god awful Jaguar). I think the lack of RPGs, shooters and sports games really crippled the system.

Amigaboy 01 November 2003 13:08

Speaking of the 3D0, in the movie "In The Army Now", Pauly Shore is playing a tank game on a 3D0. It's isometric 3D and fairly colourful. You go around blowing up walls and buildings and stuff...Is this an actual game or was it something whipped up for the movie? If it's a real game, does anyone have any idea what it's called?

Belgarath 01 November 2003 13:31

Return Fire?

Bloodwych 01 November 2003 13:40

Not sure what the tank game was Amigaboy, but what I do remember is the 3DO's launch.

It was one of the first true 3D CD based consoles out the door and as a result its price and slow uptake of support hindered it grately. I think it's time to market was just a little bit off, plus they seemed to think they'd sell the thing on specs alone.

I remember really wanting one when I saw screen caps of Fifa.

Fred the Fop 01 November 2003 14:35

It is Return Fire, and it is an excellent game , with a horrible PC port (It originated on the 3Do). That game, I cannot praise more.

Fred the Fop 01 November 2003 14:36

Quote:

Originally posted by Bloodwych
Not sure what the tank game was Amigaboy, but what I do remember is the 3DO's launch.

It was one of the first true 3D CD based consoles out the door and as a result it's price and slow uptake of support hindered it grately. I think it's time to market was just a little bit off, plus they seemed to think they'd sell the thing on specs alone.

I remember really wanting one when I saw screen caps of Fifa.

To me, that's the best FIFA ever.
No question, there were stunning games for it. Just that most were dreck.

Steve 01 November 2003 14:42

Quote:

Originally posted by Frederic
To me, that's the best FIFA ever.
No question, there were stunning games for it. Just that most were dreck.

Yup. And don't forget that the 3DO has the definitive version of Need for Speed. :)

Fred the Fop 01 November 2003 19:09

Need of course was great on it. The Panzer General port was excellent as well.
Umm.. oh and the Horde.
The AD&D games were great too.

Bloodwych 01 November 2003 20:34

Here is a list of some of the US releases........

Strange, never realised games like Soccer Kid came out for it????

Amigaboy 02 November 2003 04:30

Return Fire looks like the game. A quick search on eBay Australia doesn't have it. I'll wait around until it materialises.

Thanks for the tip Belgarath.

BobRedthorp 02 November 2003 15:09

I liked the movie based games like Dragons Lair, Space Ace and Mad Dog, they where pretty cool and at the time it was just like having the laserdisc Arcade machine in the home!

Other classics are the quiz gameshows Twisted and Zhadnost, great party games!

Fred the Fop 02 November 2003 15:41

Quote:

Originally posted by BobRedthorp
I liked the movie based games like Dragons Lair, Space Ace and Mad Dog, they where pretty cool and at the time it was just like having the laserdisc Arcade machine in the home!

Other classics are the quiz gameshows Twisted and Zhadnost, great party games!

Wow you like the stinkiest games...

BobRedthorp 02 November 2003 15:43

Only on the 3DO, apart from these games the rest where pretty poor.

It just couldnt handle true 3D

Shadowfire 04 November 2003 00:56

Quote:

Originally posted by BobRedthorp
It just couldnt handle true 3D
Ahhh.... I'd like to know what you mean by that.

7-Zark-7 05 November 2003 06:32

Whilst price & lack of a "killer" game were big killers, I can't help but think the lack of one standard manufacturer didn't help matters either. My memories are only vague about its info now, but given the success of a single company consoles,(Sega, Nintendo in the 16bit era, Sony & M$ today), I certainly think its a factor-they have to be focused commercially/marketing-wise for their machine to succeed-spreading the machine around sounds more like an idea of "too many cooks",IMO.

Tim Janssen 05 November 2003 08:47

3DO = cult?

Maybe I offend some 3DO-addicts a bit with my comments but for me, the 3DO represented the worst of game-inventions of the mid-nineties. A friend of mine owned a 3DO for a couple of months. From the games I have seen, most had awful FMW-cutscenes, overacting actors and blocky boring 3D levels. Only Road Rash was playable (and much better than on Amiga).

Maybe in five years time all these bad games for the 3DO will gain a cult-following and 3DO will be 'hip' again.:lol