English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80875)

morpa 29 December 2015 12:45

Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday

Yesterday the amiga os source code and kickstart for 3.1 was leaked at #32c3 .
Who owns the rights these days?
Can anyone verify if it seems to be the real deal?
..and maybe verify if it's compilable?

Besides being illegal, I can still understand why some people
would like to toy around with this ancient code.

FOL 29 December 2015 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by morpa (Post 1058679)

Really, you a spammer?
No mention of Amiga soruce code at all.

flype 29 December 2015 13:36

i can confirm i saw a torrent link somewhere.

jayminer 29 December 2015 13:37

It's real!

Not really sure that everything is included and that it can all be compiled but it's definitely real.

dlfrsilver 29 December 2015 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morpa (Post 1058679)

Give the real link, or leave this board. Most of this twitter account is in french, and i found no link to the source code you're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayminer (Post 1058693)
It's real!

Not really sure that everything is included and that it can all be compiled but it's definitely real.

ok, pull out the link, there's nothing i noticed on this twitter account, and since french is my mother tongue, i should had already found it.

jayminer 29 December 2015 13:44

I would guess it's not okay to post it here?

Or is it?

Retro-Nerd 29 December 2015 13:46

Of course not. You can still buy it.

dlfrsilver 29 December 2015 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayminer (Post 1058697)
I would guess it's not okay to post it here?

Or is it?

yeah post it ;)

jayminer 29 December 2015 13:47

I sent you a PM

FOL 29 December 2015 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayminer (Post 1058701)
I sent you a PM

Dont think thats allowed either.

morpa 29 December 2015 13:57

I didn't post the link because it's still illegal - i think. Anyway against the rules here. But it's not hard to find the ftp-address on twitter for anyone curious, I guess can i be that generic about it.
It was leaked in the way that some sat up a note at the mentioned conference with an ftp-address and a text saying Amiga OS 3.1 Source code.
I can confirm the sources look genuine. However, I guess only someone that has been involved in the source code could really verify that - and I guess that IF you verify that you've been looking at the leaked source, you cant work with AROS and other stuff as easily anymore so be careful.

However, I would still be interesting to know if it's the complete source, and if it's compilable, illegal or not.
Who owns the source?

dlfrsilver 29 December 2015 14:03

it's maybe the complete source. I got access to it, and the files are full of "Amiga Confidential" notifications in the C source files.

Only a coder can say. Contact Toni Wilen, and let him check. He will say if it's complete or not.

EDIT : there is no word about Cloanto, so the archive has been leaked by one of the original amiga engineers, there's no other possibility.

morpa 29 December 2015 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1058709)
it's maybe the complete source. I got access to it, and the files are full of "Amiga Confidential" notifications in the C source files.

Only a coder can say. Contact Toni Wilen, and let him check. He will say if it's complete or not.

Yeah, but if he officially looks at the source, it could lead to troubles if he's implementing stuff in AROS and other stuff in the future. I think.

dlfrsilver 29 December 2015 14:17

Toni will never implement anything breaking the law :) Everything in AROS is self-made.

morpa 29 December 2015 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1058712)
Toni will never implement anything breaking the law :) Everything in AROS is self-made.

I dont think Toni would neither, no way. However, that doesnt mean that any potential owner of the amiga os source code could think so.
Oh, well, I'm not going to speculate, that's up to any coder wanting to make a statement about the leak.

Locutus 29 December 2015 14:26

I guess that solves the issue how to historically preserve such things :-)

Best release in the last 10 years or so i'd say.

dirkies 29 December 2015 14:33

that means we could patch 3.1 source code with all the gazillion of patches released afterwards to make this a "true" 3.2 release upto modern standards?

morpa 29 December 2015 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkies (Post 1058720)
that means we could patch 3.1 source code with all the gazillion of patches released afterwards to make this a "true" 3.2 release upto modern standards?

A lot of cool thing could be done if it's complete yes, but the but best would be if any owners would just open source it - or open source after a community contribution. I guess it would be Amiga Inc. then. And I'm guessing they are not going to do any of it..:/

Locutus 29 December 2015 14:47

Legally speaking? No

Thalion 29 December 2015 14:48

With the source you can do what ever you like ;)