English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Most efficient way to cool a MC 68060 CPU? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77874)

eXeler0 19 April 2015 02:25

Most efficient way to cool a MC 68060 CPU?

Hey there ;-)
So about the 060... The old PGA packaging (and material used for it) that was used at the time is not the easiest to cool efficiently. [emoji14]
Curiously, even the first mask/ version (XC...) which is manufactured at 0.6um runs pretty fine @50MHz with no cooler. But even the latest mask manufactured at 0.42um will need a cooler @75Mhz and probably a heat sink @66MHz.

Question to those of you out there who have experimented with various coolers / sinks etc.. What is the best way too cool a (latest mask) 68060 if you want to overclock it? (Rumours on The Internets have it that 106MHz has been reached by some dude)
(And how high can you go without increasing voltage?)

First, whats the "best cooling trick" any category.. (Heat sink? Fan? Dry Ice? Water Cooling? Liquid Nitrogen? Magic beans? etc..?)
Second: Best cooling when it's sitting on an Apollo 1260 in a desktop Amiga 1200 case (space is tight under that keyboard..).

Cheers and thanx
/eX

wXR 19 April 2015 12:42

I'm also interested in better understanding this. Fans in Amigas do not impress me; what are better, more space age ways to do this? :)

Michael Sykes 19 April 2015 18:12

Maybe a custom solution with heatpipes like in consoles.

Megol 19 April 2015 18:40

Given your listing of liquid nitrogen I guess you really mean the most efficient way?
Slowly grid the package until the die is exposed then use spray nozzles to apply a thin film of a coolant liquid onto the die. The coolant will then evaporate - a very efficient way to remove excess heat. The liquid will probably need to be cooled down to liquid form for a practical (read: closed loop) system.
;)

But the best realistic solution would be the heatpipe one, close to the same efficiency but much easier to do. It also works by boiling a liquid but can't by design be as efficient as a custom cooling system. Not that it matters for a 060 - they simply don't get hot enough.

eXeler0 19 April 2015 20:58

Megol, thanx.
Well, the first part of my question was more theoretical because Im not sure what the best way to cool that ceramical PGA is... and the second is of a more practical nature. How to actually use something that is usable in the tight space on an Apollo accelerator. You cant even fit a normal fan unless its offset to the far end of the chip.
Im actually pretty sure that whoever managed to clock it beyond 80MHz did it in a tower case.

Michael Sykes 28 April 2015 01:50

What about cold plates?
Or an old Laptop cooler like this one.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...EAT-b-font.jpg

eXeler0 28 April 2015 12:55

The ceramic enclosure of the 040/060 is different to modern packages where metal is used to disperse heat so questions about this monster here.. however lots of people get their 040s working just fine by gluing rather simple fans on top of the CPU. So the big radial fan in your pic can probably get the job done :-)

Btw, speaking of glue. What would be a good glue / thermal paste to use on 040/060?

Michael Sykes 28 April 2015 23:18

My pic was not about the fan but more about the very flat metalpad and the heatpipe.
So you dont have to worry about the limited space. The copper pipe will send the heat from the cpu-pad to the radiator underneath the fan.
To attach anything you could use one of those self glue thermal pads and secure everything with something like cable straps.
Sounds a bit MacGuyverish? Thats Amiga - get used to it... ;-)

eXeler0 30 April 2015 13:10

You have a point Michael. Given the space restrictions of the Apollo 1260 board for example, a metal plate with a custom heatpipe probably is the only viable solution for achieving high clock speeds in a desktop A1200.
If only we could 3d print Copper ;-)

Michael Sykes 01 May 2015 03:00

Call NASA...
http://www.nasa.gov/marshall/news/na...gine-part.html

eXeler0 01 May 2015 15:22

:-) neat, now where's that phone number to NASA I wrote down the other day ;-)

Btw, Ive been browsing laptop heatpipe passive coolers on eBay and AliExpress, theres a bunch of stuff out there that looks decent but its not likely Ill find something that exactly fits my needs.

Megol 01 May 2015 15:39

Most notebook/laptop coolers aren't passive, even very efficient machines tend to have a small fan to keep air circulating. If it's noise you don't want then it would be possible to run the fan slowly.

eXeler0 01 May 2015 17:44

Megol, its mostly about lack of space. Noise is of secondary concern.
I have an Apollo with a socketed 060, there's not many milimiters between one of the edges of the 060 and the bottom side of the keyboard.
A custom design could easily solve it but it wont be easy or cheap to get it just right. (Unless someone has a brilliant idea, in which case I'm all ears. ;-)