English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AmigaOne update (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4835)

Pyromania 30 May 2002 13:16

AmigaOne update

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/300502update.php

Sounds very very nice

:cheese :cheese :cheese

Twistin'Ghost 31 May 2002 05:15

Whoa! Built-in hardware copy-protection for the OS! Still, I can live with that.

Amiga1992 01 June 2002 06:07

*zronk*
:o:o :o

k0w 02 June 2002 02:47

re: sound realy great

Yeah! I hope this will knock our socks of!

And the this people say about "software protection" rulez!
People should get paid for the work and hopefully this os/hw will rock!
things that rocks cost money to develop!

oldpx 02 June 2002 11:40

Quote:

And the this people say about "software protection" rulez!
People should get paid for the work and hopefully this os/hw will rock!
things that rocks cost money to develop!
This never works.

andy 02 June 2002 16:20

I have to agree with Burseg on this one.

When did other forms of protection (dongles, for example) ever stop cracking?

I'm not against attempting protection (programmers/designers do have to earn a living, after all - much to the surprise of many ;) ); but it does seem a rather futile gesture.

Pyromania 02 June 2002 17:35

Quote:

Originally posted by andy
I have to agree with Burseg on this one.

When did other forms of protection (dongles, for example) ever stop cracking?

I'm not against attempting protection (programmers/designers do have to earn a living, after all - much to the surprise of many ;) ); but it does seem a rather futile gesture.

On the SGI locking the SN # of each machine to a licenced version of each application stopped cracking dead.

oldpx 02 June 2002 19:46

Then every machine will have a serial number, and every user. Then big brother will watch us.

jmmijo 21 June 2002 05:11

Another Update

Not sure how accurate this is, but apparently this US dealer is taking pre-orders on the Amiga One mobo:

http://www.compuquick-amigadirect.co...migas&cart_id=

The text says available soon, not sure how soon this really is however ;)

Bloodwych 06 July 2002 22:26

A nice little article, one of the many promoting the Amiga One:

Read Here

jmmijo 06 July 2002 22:36

Well an interesting article, but mainly a hopeful Amiga addict, like most of us :D

My local dealer has told me about October/November and I'm saying more like next year at the soonest :( I suppose I shouldn't be so pessimistic, but I can't help it :hoo

Bloodwych 06 July 2002 23:04

Quote:

Originally posted by jmmijo
Well an interesting article, but mainly a hopeful Amiga addict, like most of us :D

Yep, and like us, he'll eventually end up here where he will finally find peace and goodwill. So says the Amiga preacher brothers of the EAB.

jmmijo 06 July 2002 23:07

So should we call ourselves:

The Black Sheep Amiga Enthusiasts

:D

Bloodwych 06 July 2002 23:13

Quote:

So should we call ourselves:

The Black Sheep Amiga Enthusiasts

:D

LOL :laugh

That kind of has a ring to it! Seriously! I feel a webpage coming on! An upwelling of Amiga Faith EAB'ers! :D

jmmijo 06 July 2002 23:16

I was kinda thinking of the article and the author and how he has lost his way and then wham.... I was thinking of Black Sheep Squadron, both the TV series and the real Naval Aviators in WWII ;)

Bloodwych 06 July 2002 23:37

Quote:

I was kinda thinking of the article and the author and how he has lost his way and then wham.... I was thinking of Black Sheep Squadron, both the TV series and the real Naval Aviators in WWII ;)
Funny things brains aren’t they? Never quite know where they're gonna lead you. :)

jmmijo 06 July 2002 23:46

Yeah, just look at this thread now and how OT it has become :laugh

Shatterhand 17 August 2002 06:50

I've been just told that AmigaONE is arleady out for the suppliers. The guy also told me you will be able to connect your A1200 to the Amigaone mobo and use the dedicate A1200 chips with it.. (!?!?!!?!?!) This would be like an A1200 running a G3@600Mhz

Now this was in an MSX channel (the #msx channel at irc.afternet.org , only for brazilian users, I guess).. so I came here to ask the guys who KNOW stuff..

Is this true ?

Amiga1992 17 August 2002 06:57

Quote:

Originally posted by Shatterhand
I've been just told that AmigaONE is arleady out for the suppliers. The guy also told me you will be able to connect your A1200 to the Amigaone mobo and use the dedicate A1200 chips with it.. (!?!?!!?!?!) This would be like an A1200 running a G3@600Mhz
It would actually be an AmigaOne with the biggest, stupidest expansion card ever :D.

If the custom chips were not surface mounted I bet they would have made a card where you could snap out the chips off your Amiga and put them inside the AmigaOne. That would have been smart.

Anyway... I stick with my A1200.

Korodny 17 August 2002 17:41

@Shatterhand:

Quote:

I've been just told that AmigaONE is arleady out for the suppliers.
That's not true. While the AmigaOne hardware is finished for months and working perfectly, the Softex BIOS that was supplied with the machines was extremely buggy and outdated. A third party that was contracted to work on the BIOS (update it, make it compatible with Amiga standards like Amiga formatted hard disks) simply failed to do their job. Currently Hyperion are porting and adopting the open source BIOS PPCBoot to the AmigaOne while adding some very cool functionality (mainly boring low-level stuff, no need to further explain that) along the way.

Work on the BIOS is nearly completed (currently it is under heavy testing). BIOS should be finished at the end of this month.

Quote:

The guy also told me you will be able to connect your A1200 to the Amigaone mobo and use the dedicate A1200 chips with it.. (!?!?!!?!?!) This would be like an A1200 running a G3@600Mhz
The original plan looks (looked, see below) like this:

A PCI card that fits into one of the A1's PCI slots. A ribbon cable connects this PCI card to the A1200 motherboard. The A1200 acts as an expansion to the A1, important Chipset register addresses are "mirrored" in the A1's memory. This way, software directly hitting the custom chip registers would work on the A1 (you would have to connect a monitor to the A1200's video/audio ports of course) and you could access A1200 ports from AmigaOS4 (joyports, floppy disk drive).

Escena were supposed to develop the PCI card. But to be honest, nobody in the OS4/AmigaOne development team expects them to deliver this hardware...

Alternatives:

1. DFx

An adapter that is plugged between a standard AmigaOne/PC floppy disk controller and the disk drive. Enables the host computer to read/write standard Amiga floppy disks. Will (should) work with Amithlon, AmigaOne, Windows (given proper software support of course).

2. CatweaselPCI

Jens Schönfeld is working on a PCI version of the Catweasel. A multi purpose disk controller, which is able to read virtually any disk format you throw at it (CBM 5 1/4"PC, 5 1/4", Apple DD, Amiga etc.)

3. USB to 9-Pin digital joyport adaptors

Seems I lost the URL..

4. UAE

;)

5. Elbox's SharkPPC G3/G4 accelerator cards for classic Amiga machines

While the Shark cards are a licensed design (i.e. they are working in Apple computers already), the integration with classic hardware is pretty tricky. Let's wait and see if Elbox manage to solve all related problems. Would be cool, of course.

@Akira:

Quote:

It would actually be an AmigaOne with the biggest, stupidest expansion card ever .
Right, but isn't that the kind of obscure concept that appeals to you? :D