English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo CD32 - Any Good ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14474)

sut 25 July 2004 14:32

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo CD32 - Any Good ?

In my mind this game is a good example to compare systems as more or less every system has a version of Street Fighter 2.
Just wondering what the CD32 version is like, played the original Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga 500. although looking at first glance close to the Arcade & SNES versions played nothing like Street Fighter 2 should, mainly down to missing animations and probably lack of buttons.
So when I heard the CD32 now had a version, I imagine that due to the storage on a CD, the CD32'S joypad & 32-Bit Architecture the Amiga should finally be
blessed with a nigh on Arcade perfect conversaion ala 3DO.

So any information or feedback on this title would be appreciated.

StarEye 25 July 2004 14:54

Well, the controls weren't the biggest problem with Street Fighter 2 on the amiga, it was just awkwardly played. The SNES version were simply a much better version of the game.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo CD32, I thought that was okay when I play it today. Didn't try it when it was new. But the controls seemed to have improved, but the biggest mistake was reducing the size of the sprites/characters. Street Fighter 2 had big characters, but I thought SSF2Turbo seemed smaller. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's something missing at least.

Amiga1992 26 July 2004 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarEye
Street Fighter 2 had big characters, but I thought SSF2Turbo seemed smaller. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's something missing at least.

Are you sure you played Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for CD32 and not Super Street Fighter 2? SSF2 DID have smaller characters but SSF2T didn't. Look:

Super Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo doesn't exist for the SNES and even if comparing it to the SNES version of Super Street Fighter, the Amiga game is 10x better. you'll also find the SNES versions of SF2 games also have characters smaller than those of teh arcade version!

redblade 26 July 2004 01:48

How big is the Iso for this, just won a bid for a CD32 and get it on Wednesday, so I'll love to give this game a go for sure.

sut 26 July 2004 22:18

Hmmm didn't realise the CD32 received both versions of Super Street Fighter, as you have demonstrated. SSF2T looks arcade perfect wheras SSF2 does not - wonder why that is ? Was SSF2 just a Amiga home computer port ?
Wheras they actually really programmed SSF2T for the CD32 ?

Antiriad 26 July 2004 22:24

Well surprisingly enough there was a disk version of SSF2T for the 1200 on floppy, but as it was missing any music i think its fair to say the game was designed for the CD32

Amiga1992 26 July 2004 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sut
Hmmm didn't realise the CD32 received both versions of Super Street Fighter, as you have demonstrated. SSF2T looks arcade perfect wheras SSF2 does not - wonder why that is ? Was SSF2 just a Amiga home computer port ?
Wheras they actually really programmed SSF2T for the CD32 ?

It was made by different teams afaik, and the SSF2T seems like a port from the PC version.

There WAS music in the disk version of SSF2 btw.

Baseley09 27 July 2004 00:48

Wow, that Cd32 port of SSF2TX looks astonishing, has anyone played to confirm its greatness?

Looks at least as good as the other 32 bit cd versions, and fullscreen unlike the 3DO vers.

Does it have CPS2 Q-Sound or the AST anyone?

redblade 27 July 2004 02:34

managed to find super street fighter turbo on planetemu. (disk version). Also some trained versions of Street fighter II. Which seem interesting.

Yes can some one please play SSF2T, I would like to know what the controls are like, ie how easy it is to do dragon punch's and fire balls. And also how to select Akuma =]

JudasEZT 27 July 2004 22:50

I try to remember that SS2T was a bit jerky in A1200, and losing frames, and a hell due disk changing.

but I never played the CD32 game, Im sure is cool.

btw, the developers were a polish group which also released very cool demoscene productions,. in special a demo which won some prize in an important party contest.

my memory is fading =(

Antiriad 28 July 2004 00:53

ah yes there was menu music, just none in fights

redblade 29 July 2004 02:15

any one know any sites where this game can be found? Is it on bippy's Ftp server?

Amiga1992 29 July 2004 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiriad
ah yes there was menu music, just none in fights

Are you absolutely sure? Even the ECS version had in-game music (selectable, supposedly in the A1200 version you could have both SFX and MSX, in the ECS version you had to chose from one of the two)

Antiriad 29 July 2004 11:56

We are talking Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo right? Thats got no music on the floppy version as it was designed for the CD32 and uses CD music for the fights. Normal Super Streetfighter 2 (with the piddly sprites) does have music everywhere. :confused

Amiga1992 29 July 2004 17:07

That means there never was a floppy version and what you are playing is a CD rip, then. Because otherwise it sounds quite stupid.

So much confusion :confused

Konrad 30 July 2004 02:15

As far as I remember from old mags two versions were sold. One was a floppy version without background music in fights, the other the CD32-version with audio tracks. It was planned to also add background animation to the CD32 version but afaik it wasn't included. But I'm not sure on this.

Antiriad 30 July 2004 09:14

Well upto recently i thought SSF2T was cd only, but when the whdload install came out it had floppy disk support. I was quite surprised.

Amiga1992 30 July 2004 09:59

My head will explode!

time for my musicotherapy

*mashes buttons manically on Electribe EA-1*

sut 07 September 2004 12:42

Finally downloaded Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo from Emule for the CD32, but unfortunately WinUAE doesn't appear to emulate it very well as it's S-L-O-W graphics look ok, music sounds pretty good - missing voice samples ?
Can't really confirm how well it plays as it's too slow & unstable to really try.
Also tried Akiko but it crashes on the Ryu Intro.

Any of you guys got this running on WinUAE so it's actually playable ?
Also whilst im at it anyone got Fightin Spirit emulated on CD32, It freezes just before the fight starts, although I did get it to load once without the Cd tracks (ie iso only).

redblade 08 September 2004 00:28

er can I please have the address for for this Emule site please.