English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's worth playing on Atari ST today? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43030)

rare_j 27 February 2009 17:22

What's worth playing on Atari ST today?

I've got an Atari ST emulator on my XBOX but no disk images and no idea what to play on it.
What's worth playing on Atari these days that's not available on Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, PC, or anything else?
I'm looking for stuff that's brilliant, and either ST exclusive or at least miles better on ST than on any other machine.

Thanks!

Ironclaw 27 February 2009 17:48

Why even bother with ST when you can have Amiga?, then you don't have to ask questions like those.

lilalurl 27 February 2009 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 517116)
I'm looking for stuff that's brilliant, and either ST exclusive or at least miles better on ST than on any other machine.

Thanks!

Hummmm, I wonder if using the search function with 'atari exclusive' would give any relevant result...

TCD 27 February 2009 17:56

That would be far too easy lilalurl ;)
Oh well, now that you've spoiled it : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37111 :D

coze 27 February 2009 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 517116)

Result : Empty Set. Try Beast to have some laugh :laughing

musojon74 27 February 2009 18:05

hey hey. Go and find Ranarama immediatlly! :) not great graphics or sound, but a great fun game not available for our beloved Amiga.

AmigaFriend 27 February 2009 19:08

Why are we discussing Atrari SheTard stuff, again, in an Amiga forum? :bash :D

lilalurl 27 February 2009 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 517129)
That would be far too easy lilalurl ;)
Oh well, now that you've spoiled it : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37111 :D

Hey, don't post links that I have already posted in order to increase your post count!!!!! (check the last of the suspension points ;)).

paranoid 27 February 2009 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpect (Post 517155)
Why are we discussing Atrari SheTard stuff, again, in an Amiga forum? :bash :D

Does an ST forum even exist? :p

alexh 27 February 2009 20:08

Exclusive ST stuff

Oids
Substation
Starball
Superfly
Picross ST

Problem is that WinSTonX is a bit crap these days... the scene needs an HatariX

http://www.atari-forum.com Duh!

TCD 27 February 2009 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalurl (Post 517165)
Hey, don't post links that I have already posted in order to increase your post count!!!!! (check the last of the suspension points ;)).

Pfff, just post the link next time :p

Antiriad 27 February 2009 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 517176)
Exclusive ST stuff

Problem is that WinSTonX is a bit crap these days... the scene needs an HatariX

That would be nice, as would a port to the GP2X and PSP, as CaSTaway on both has a terrible GUI and woeful sound emulation.

rare_j 27 February 2009 21:53

I don't want to ask on an atari forum... the poor deluded fools would recommend all sorts of rubbish that's better elsewhere!

lilalurl you make a good point... :spin :D

TCD 28 February 2009 02:29

Pfff #2 :p You rate this riddle maker over my precious clear link :crying ;)
Okay, the no kidding answer : Glad you found your exclusive ST games here on an Amiga forum :D Guess it's the only place you can ask for ST only games and get an honest answer :cheese

s2325 28 February 2009 02:45

try those platform games for ST: Roger, Droid, Potsworth & Co., Punt 2

lilalurl 28 February 2009 05:37

[keeping on rare_j's pun trend] I guess all thoses riddles are straining TCD's nerves to breaking point...

@s2325:
Could you edit your first post in that other thread, pasting the list Anemos linked to, adding any new references and removing the games you said are not exclusive?
And updating it from time to time?

That would be quite useful.
Although originally your thread was only about Alien Thing and Alien Blast it has turned as a good compilation of ST exclusive games.

You can add Bumpy to the the list.
It seems the only 16-bit version of the game was made for the ST (so that's the best version to play), although the updated version (read downgraded, with weird backgrounds and sprites) that Infogrames made and called Pop-up appeared on the amiga.

s2325 28 February 2009 08:07

I don't know some of the games from his list so I'm not sure if they are exclusive.

lilalurl 28 February 2009 09:13

Then take those you don't know and are not sure if they are exclusive and put them in a second list named 'to be verified'.:)
This way you or anybody else can double check later whether they are exclusive or not.

Photon 28 February 2009 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 517212)
I don't want to ask on an atari forum... the poor deluded fools would recommend all sorts of rubbish that's better elsewhere!

I understand your point. This is a nice challenge.

It's the same with other 80s platforms & forums. Guys that grew up with a C64 will likely recommend blockbusters like Cinemaware games, Giana series, etc etc and think they are the best on C64, because they loved it when they got it and played it to bits on their comp.

The Amiga was the closest, in some cases far surpassing, real good games on consoles. So that means, for the most part, games were best on the Amiga. If you then ask for ST-only games that were best on all platforms, you're narrowing it down quite a bit ;)

Looking at categories, action games will in general let you down. The only decent ones I can think of would be Bitmap Bros games, but all their games were ported and 'the best on neither'. They are good games tho.

If ST-only is not a must, go for non-scrollers and games with not a lot of action on-screen, ie not platformers/shooters. Flip-screen/Monkey Island style adventures, karate/sports games, vector games should all be fine (the last might have the most ST-only titles, seeing as vectors were usually done quite differently on ST and Amiga and no other platforms really had vector graphics).

Hope that gives some ideas, I was about to recommend Oids, the only one I could think of. And Super Sprint and Rally Challenge was good as well.

s2325 28 February 2009 16:13

I think Championship Run is smoother on ST than on Amiga.