English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Beneath a steel sky CD32 version whdload (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60258)

edimax 23 July 2011 23:35

Beneath a steel sky CD32 version whdload

Hi

I'm having a problem with BASS, every time I play it from the beginning the intro works perfect and the game starts but with a continuous beeping noise, it goes after I leave the first room and comes back when I re-enter it, but its driving me crazy, just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

The Voice and music play fine through the beeping.

Every other Amiga whdlaod seems fine.

My Amiga spec is

A1200 1D1
3.0 ROM
ACA1230/42
4 GIG CF HDD
Classic WB Full

Thanks

mailman 24 July 2011 08:36

How much RAM do you have?

edimax 24 July 2011 15:33

I have 2MB Chip Ram and 64MB Fast Ram.

The game does take a little while to start, but I expect that, being the size it is.

Also I have now installed ScummVM and I am going to give that a try today

mailman 24 July 2011 21:22

Corrupted files come to my mind. If you run the game without WHDLoad, does it happen the same?

edimax 24 July 2011 22:57

I got the beneath a steel sky cd32 version from KillerGorilla's site, I dont have the disc, I do have the floppy version and that works, obviously with no speech.

I tried running BASS under ScummVM and got grapical corruption on the main ScummVM window and the system either locks up or reboots itself after a short while of play.

I think the problem may be with the Amiga or the ACA1230 as I have had lockups and sofware failures quite a lot, I changed the hard disk the other week to a 4 GIG CF one the other week, thinking that may have a problem.

I have done the timing fix on the motherboard and I am using a 300W AT PSU.

I have another Amiga 1200 turning up this week, I think I will hang on until it arrives and try the ACA1230 and CF in that one and do the timing fixes if need be.

mailman 25 July 2011 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by edimax (Post 769001)
I tried running BASS under ScummVM and got grapical corruption on the main ScummVM window and the system either locks up or reboots itself after a short while of play.

Because ScummVM requires VGA version of the game (AFAIR). You tried running regular Amiga version which I don't think is supported by Scumm.

Quote:

I think the problem may be with the Amiga or the ACA1230 as I have had lockups and sofware failures quite a lot, I changed the hard disk the other week to a 4 GIG CF one the other week, thinking that may have a problem.
Basic question I ask everybody who has problems with WHDLoad and CF. Do you run the game from CF or from HD and which version of WHDLoad do you use? I noticed that many people have problems when running games from CF.

edimax 25 July 2011 10:24

Hi Mailman

I should have been more informative on my last post sorry; I tried ScummVM 030 with the Beneath A Steel Sky CD version from the ScummVM website, with the music off.

I am running the game from Hard Disk, I extract the game from PCMCIA CF to the CF Hard Disk in the Amiga using Dopus.

I am using WHDload 17.0 and have also tried 16.9 both with the same result, it is also registered.

The hard disk is also set to max transfer 1fe00 for the three partitions I have.

Thanks for the help :)

Retro1234 25 July 2011 16:29

Dont know what the noise is with the WHDload version

there is a full install/HDF floating about this is just the CD32 Game installed without WHDload and doesnt need Preloading - But I cant find a link right now.

edimax 25 July 2011 22:47

I found a CD image and and copied the the contents to hard disk and it does work with joystick as the controller and no sounds problems at all.

I also went into the WHDload Beneath A Steel folder on hard disk and into the data folder and ran the steelsky file from there as well and that also works with joystick as the controller.

Think that will do me. :)

pintcat 01 July 2012 21:05

I have this beeping noise too and it seems to be WHDLoad related since it doesn't appear if I start the game directly without WHDLoad. I tried both, the pre-installed pack from WHDownload and a self made install from a CD³² ISO - both with the same result.
It's a great pity actually, because WHDLoad improves the game handling with it's preload and quit function.

FOL 01 July 2012 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintcat (Post 826818)
I have this beeping noise too and it seems to be WHDLoad related since it doesn't appear if I start the game directly without WHDLoad. I tried both, the pre-installed pack from WHDownload and a self made install from a CD³² ISO - both with the same result.
It's a great pity actually, because WHDLoad improves the game handling with it's preload and quit function.

I too am getting this on my brother inlaws a1200. Works fine on mine though.

pintcat 02 July 2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 826845)
I too am getting this on my brother inlaws a1200. Works fine on mine though.

Well, then I'm wondering what's the difference between these machines. :confused

Btw.: My hw specs are A1200 with OS3.9, Kick3.9, Blizzard 1260 with 50MHz and 128MB RAM, patches in background are CMQ, SaferPatches, FastWaitBlit, FastExec, FBlit, WBCtrl and BlazeWCP

FOL 02 July 2012 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintcat (Post 826920)
Well, then I'm wondering what's the difference between these machines. :confused

Btw.: My hw specs are A1200 with OS3.9, Kick3.9, Blizzard 1260 with 50MHz and 128MB RAM, patches in background are CMQ, SaferPatches, FastWaitBlit, FastExec, FBlit, WBCtrl and BlazeWCP

Im guessing one of the patches.

As my system is simular, but I dont use fblit etc etc as my ks3.9 BB4 contains alot of patches.
Will double check though.

The other system, that has noise, is a stock 1200 with 8MB RAM, using fblit etc etc patches.

EDIT:- Scratch that, just tried again and its the same on my A1200. I must have been using CD32 disc before when I tried it.
I did notice, if you go to inventory bar, the sound goes, then after 3 seconds returns. Very wierd.

pintcat 02 July 2012 14:54

Yeah I noticed that too before. Maybe the noise is somehow bound to the sfx which stop too while the inventory bar is on. The music keeps playing fine without noise.

FOL 02 July 2012 14:59

Also noticed it preloads, takes all the ram and still os flashes. Think ill stick to cd32 disc, :).

AC/DC HACKER! 20 January 2019 06:28

Ahhhh!! Found this thread while seeking a fix.

It also happens with my Amiga 4000 with a CyberStormPPC/060 128MB, BigRamPlus, and 16MB on Motherboard. It's a bug related to the Slave. There is a way around it. My A4000 is not a simple installation of 3.5 because I'm considered a Power User of the time. Lots of stuff since the 80's and 2000's. However, I've been very diligent to keep stuff in very good functioning form. If something didn't function correctly, I made a backup but didn't keep using it.

If you use SysInspector (http://aminet.net/package/util/moni/SysInspector14) or some program to change the priority of RAM installed. As an example, CyberStormPPC's 128MB to less than what's on the Motherboard then the "odd beep" is gone in the game, but the Beeps in the menus before the games are also gone. If you leave the memory priorities alone, then the Beeps in the menus remain, but the *odd beep* in the game is there.

I renamed the A1200 Kick (as called by the Slave) so the A4000 kick would be called, but that didn't change anything. Which makes sense, since they're close enough from a User level.

If you run the game from the WHDLoad install (CD32) directory from ADOS, you might need to use Tude to Reset MMU and disable Cache. "Caches=None MMUReset". Do Not forget to "Assign Libs: Libs".. Then the game, from ADOS should have all the Menu sounds active AND the game won't have the odd beep...but you will notice some slight *pauses* in game play, which keep everything running smooth (game play/audio..).

This is all from my A4000 understanding, and WinUAE A4000 + CSPPC install. I don't have an A1200, but the 2 beasts should remain pretty close to "running" same, the only thing missing are Fast RAM and PPC, zer020/zer040/060 differences.

JOTD should be informed. I've already sent a Bug Report through WHDLoad. Others should also. It's a great game with a twisted sense of humor..and I love/adore/appreciate what JOTD did..but slave does need to be updated.

jotd 20 January 2019 09:34

Please next time use Mantis directly: http://mantis.whdload.de

There's 1 bug on BASS, about an access fault late in the game, for italian version...

If you have memory issues with PPC boards, they may be related to whdload rather than the slave itself. Plus I have no way of fixing this if I cannot reproduce it.

Maybe create a mantis issue on whdload itself... because it's very likely that you get the error on other games too. Except if someone can reproduce it with a more standard setup (or even winuae with any settings even JIT on, because that I can check)

AC/DC HACKER! 20 January 2019 16:29

I can reproduce it with WinUAE. I have made a bug report, some years ago. If your reply is directed at me specifically. I'm using the English version. Good call, it could be WHDLoad itself rather than Slave. I wondered about that. I've been going backwards in WHDLoad, checking all previous versions than 18.4.

I wondered it if it might be a memory problem with WHDLoad once I realized to change the memory priority. I have made a "standard" A4000 CSPPC install with WinUAE reflecting my real hardware. It was able to produce the same odd beep/buzz. But I deleted it a while ago. I, personally, have not encountered this "sound glitch" with any other game. I have a lot of them...and I've made several WHDLoad installs using the fantastic Workbench (though misspelled, hehe, in the Slave) 3.1.

I'll make a new A4000 CSPPC WinUAE install, confirm again, and post the Config here. :)

AC/DC HACKER! 21 January 2019 01:57

Doing some more checking.. With WinUAE (newer version), and my copy of my A4000 CSPPC's CompactFlash, if I raise Chip RAM to 3MB or higher, the Menu Beeps when clicking an option is silent. I always lower the music volume also (I rarely like In-Game music..as it's distracting). But the odd beep sound is gone through the beginning of the game. Returned Chip back to 2MB to continue A4000 testing..

I exited WinUAE, gave it a moment to clear then ran it again. Then choose Quick-Start A4000 CSPPC. Added my CF system HF and disabled booting, in floppy section I inserted my Workbench 3.1 ADF. The started emulation. After floppy Workbench 3.1 is loaded, I added an assign..

Assign C: RAM: Add - Then did the same to Devs:.

Then I copied WHDLoad from my CF's C: to RAM, and CF's Devs:Kickst#?/ all.

Then I started the game through the funky looking Icon, haha. Since NewIcons aren't part of 3.1...you know. :)

The 2 screens show, then the game menu along with the music as per normal. Clicking on settings icons the normal beep happens. Once the game starts, the machine's "clunk" sound file is still replaces by the odd buzzing sound. It doesn't matter if the music is active, lower to any degree or off, the buzzing is still there.

I have created a general OS 3.5 HD also with WarpOS installed. WHDLoad for C: copied, and Picasso 2.0 using UAEGfx for now. Same thing. I'm thinking WHDLoad as you suggested.

I repeated the same thing with my real A4000's floppy..same thing. Let me know if you need anything further. Glad to help.

jotd 21 January 2019 13:55

another thing that would help is to create a video of your config (amiga or emu) with the bug occurring, and youtube it.

could be a difference of speed in the RAM which triggers an audio DMA bug on bad code. Already seen this kind of thing (and fixed) many times.