English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Final Writer (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97312)

Diguelo 09 May 2019 15:59

Final Writer
 
An old word processor written by Harwoods Computing, sentimental reason for wanting a copy of it or route to finding one please.

May be part of a Final Office, it was in development when I had to move out of the area. (Derbyshire)

kolla 09 May 2019 16:20

Final Writer 97? Final Writer 2015? Isn't it still being "actively" developed? :)

Diguelo 09 May 2019 16:36

97. I used to offer a helping hand to the developers. Local to me.

DamienD 09 May 2019 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diguelo (Post 1320288)
An old word processor written by Harwoods Computing, sentimental reason for wanting a copy of it or route to finding one please.

On the EAB File Server at these locations ;)

Older versions here.

Diguelo 09 May 2019 16:49

Lol thanks again Damien

onkelarie 09 May 2019 17:29

I still use FW on a weekly basis, just because I can and have no need to exchange its format with latest openoffice/office suites. Nice tool! :)

DofD 09 May 2019 18:22

New development work is being done on Final Writer, based on FW97. Currently I believe the group is working on porting it to OS4.1, AROS, and MorphOS. I have seen people put in enhancement requests for .doc, .docx, and .odf file formats.

Diguelo 10 May 2019 01:36

Good plan.

terminills 10 May 2019 13:07

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1320292)
Final Writer 97? Final Writer 2015? Isn't it still being "actively" developed? :)

No quotes needed yes it is. :P

onkelarie 10 May 2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DofD (Post 1320329)
New development work is being done on Final Writer, based on FW97. Currently I believe the group is working on porting it to OS4.1, AROS, and MorphOS. I have seen people put in enhancement requests for .doc, .docx, and .odf file formats.

That's pretty awesome. If applications like office suites catch up with today's mainstream fileformats, it could bring back more daily use for everyday tasks.

terminills 10 May 2019 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by onkelarie (Post 1320478)
That's pretty awesome. If applications like office suites catch up with today's mainstream fileformats, it could bring back more daily use for everyday tasks.


It's going to take a few versions to get to where I personally want to be. However, here's the list of what to expect for the initial release.


Datatype support for clipart, PDF output, Updated RTF support(final rtf spec), Truetype fonts, an updated spell checker(OpenOffice dictionary compatibility) and, many bug fixes.

Diguelo 11 May 2019 14:22

Good luck with it.

gdonner 30 May 2019 18:33

My hat's off to the devs doing this work! How did they get their hands on the source code though? Or is it being reverse-engineered?

In any case, improved table support would be excellent--IIRC, FW 97 had added early table support already.

But I think the biggest/best thing (at least initially) would be document support with LibreOffice and Micro$lug Office. Seeing as both LibreOffice and M$ Office documents are XML-based(?), should be fairly easy to port and squash bugs.

terminills 03 June 2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdonner (Post 1324518)
My hat's off to the devs doing this work! How did they get their hands on the source code though? Or is it being reverse-engineered?

In any case, improved table support would be excellent--IIRC, FW 97 had added early table support already.

But I think the biggest/best thing (at least initially) would be document support with LibreOffice and Micro$lug Office. Seeing as both LibreOffice and M$ Office documents are XML-based(?), should be fairly easy to port and squash bugs.

I bought it.

gdonner 10 June 2019 18:11

^^ Thanks for doing so! I wish you the best in its further development--FW was what I was using before my original A4000 kicked the bucket about 20 years ago...

roberthazelby 27 July 2019 01:50

Just wondering if there's a progress update regarding Final Writer 2019? Do you have an estimated release date and price or is it a case of "it'll be ready when it's ready"?

Many thanks for all your hard work.

terminills 31 July 2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberthazelby (Post 1334914)
Just wondering if there's a progress update regarding Final Writer 2019? Do you have an estimated release date and price or is it a case of "it'll be ready when it's ready"?

Many thanks for all your hard work.


I don't want to quote a firm date but I am hoping to have something usable available in the near future.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04364 seconds with 11 queries