English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Day Of The Tentacle was released on Amiga, right? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13212)

Burge 05 April 2004 08:16

Day Of The Tentacle was released on Amiga, right?

I'm having an argument with some people over at the AdventureGamers.com board, trying to convice them that DOTT did see an Amiga relase. I'm sure as hell that I played it back in the day but would like someone here to confirm it. Cheers.

fiath 05 April 2004 09:18

I wish it had been! But unfortunately it wasn't. If only ScummVM was around in those days...

Burge 05 April 2004 11:07

Then how in the hell do I have these memories of playing it? Very odd indeed.... and disturbing.

ptrchiappe 05 April 2004 11:18

Maybe you remember playing the demo of DOTT that was released back then.

It was available on many cover CDs.

Burge 05 April 2004 11:29

Yeah, could very well have been the demo. Well at least I know my mind isn't completely tricking me.

StarEye 05 April 2004 12:50

I was wondering what you meant by the best amiga message board there is :p

I'm CrimsonBlue on Adventuregamers ;)

EDIT: btw, anyone know where I can find that demo? I can't seem to remember this demo, even though I bought a lot of magazines with coverdiscs (CDs). Didn't have a CD-ROM at the time though, so it may have passed me.

Although I find it strange that this game was never mentioned in any magazine, seeing as they came as far as releasing a demo of it. After all, LucasArts games wasn't something they'd ignore was it?

fiath 05 April 2004 13:25

Cool, I didn't know there was a demo.

No idea why it wasn't release but I think these factors may very well been a consideration....

o Amiga market "on the out" commerically
o Game was big in size then, how many Amiga people had CD ROM's?

Besides, it didn't seem to be "fashionable" to produce Amiga stuff anymore :(

Actually, I would have bought that game if it would have come out on the miggy, Sam and Max too. I saw them at a friends and really wanted them. To this day have have played neither. So much for brand exposure.

ant512 05 April 2004 14:19

I've never seen the demo either. Seems odd that they should port the engine, then not bother releasing the game.

killergorilla 05 April 2004 14:50

I don't think this was ever made as a demo, it would have turned up by now surely.

StarEye 05 April 2004 15:21

Quote:

Originally posted by ant512
I've never seen the demo either. Seems odd that they should port the engine, then not bother releasing the game.
Well, the SCUMM engine had already been ported to the Amiga, as DOTT used the same engine as Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis did. DOTT is controlled exactly the same way and had exactly the same choices of verbs as those two games. So basically, the game could have been just as easily released on the Amiga. It would have been a big one, though.

FromWithin 05 April 2004 15:43

I've got a vague recollection of someone making a home version of the first part of it on the Amiga. Not an official demo at all.

Amiga1992 05 April 2004 16:47

Yes, that's the thing, an unofficial "port" done by someone. You probably played that thing. Somebody here posted it in teh Zone eons ago, but I forgot who he was (probably Amigaboy)

Burge 05 April 2004 18:32

Quote:

Originally posted by StarEye
I was wondering what you meant by the best amiga message board there is :p

I'm CrimsonBlue on Adventuregamers ;)

EDIT: btw, anyone know where I can find that demo? I can't seem to remember this demo, even though I bought a lot of magazines with coverdiscs (CDs). Didn't have a CD-ROM at the time though, so it may have passed me.

Although I find it strange that this game was never mentioned in any magazine, seeing as they came as far as releasing a demo of it. After all, LucasArts games wasn't something they'd ignore was it?

Haha, well I thought it was (is). :D I need to point people over to this thread from the thread on AG.com. Think I might do that now.

Cheers Akira.

CodyJarrett 05 April 2004 18:50

Remember that the HOL is intended for this sort of question - often there will be an entry for an unreleased Amiga game to dispel rumours of its existence on the Amiga.

In the case of DOTT, the HOL entry tells us that it's only available on the Amiga through an interpreter:

http://hol.abime.net/?id=3442

Burge 05 April 2004 18:58

Quote:

Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Remember that the HOL is intended for this sort of question - often there will be an entry for an unreleased Amiga game to dispel rumours of its existence on the Amiga.

In the case of DOTT, the HOL entry tells us that it's only available on the Amiga through an interpreter:

http://hol.abime.net/?id=3442

I read that entry, but that would imply that the game has only just been ported to Amiga, via ScummVM. What I am arguing is that I played it like 10 years ago without the help of any interpreter. Which I am sure that I did.

StarEye 05 April 2004 18:58

Yeah, I know, but I can't blindly follow the information of a website. Sometimes they're just plain wrong.

Not that you're not doing a great job with the site ;)

Burge 05 April 2004 19:04

Quote:

Originally posted by StarEye
Yeah, I know, but I can't blindly follow the information of a website. Sometimes they're just plain wrong.

Not that you're not doing a great job with the site ;)

Who was this directed at?

CodyJarrett 05 April 2004 19:28

Quote:

Originally posted by Burge
I read that entry, but that would imply that the game has only just been ported to Amiga, via ScummVM. What I am arguing is that I played it like 10 years ago without the help of any interpreter. Which I am sure that I did.
I know, but the original AdventureGamers.com issue was whether DOTT was originally released (by Lucasarts) on the Amiga and I pointed out that the HOL answers many questions like this (e.g. it wasn't). If there was some kind of hack/unofficial port/AMOS demo of DOTT that you played back in the day, then I'll note it in the entry...

StarEye 05 April 2004 19:28

CodyJarret ;)

Implying that I will never find myself blindly accepting information on any internetsites, unless it's an official site from people that's directly involved with whatever the information is about. Even that can't be trusted 100%.

CodyJarrett 05 April 2004 19:32

The HOL is (hopefully) getting more accurate all the time, although there is still incorrect information in it. We do try to research things thoroughly for it!