English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Amiga 500 Green Scn, 11 Pwr flashes (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78193)

Hiddenevil 15 May 2015 10:56

Amiga 500 Green Scn, 11 Pwr flashes

Hey everyone

I picked up an A500 from a chap who was getting rid of his kit. He wanted the machine to go to someone who would use it as he didn't want it going in landfill. He told me it has some issues when powering on. So at the weekend, I hooked the machine up and sure enough the red power light blinks 11 times, then reboots, while the screen shows a constant green.

Someone suggested this might be memory related, is there any way I can test?

Cheers
James

ajk 15 May 2015 11:16

Green indicates a problem with chip RAM, so it might be the memory ICs themselves or other circuitry related to it. Usually the first thing to do is to re-seat all the socketed chips on the motherboard, they may have worked themselves loose over time.

Hiddenevil 15 May 2015 11:35

I did remove a couple of the chips and reseat them, but for the most part, I pressed them down with my thumb. The mig came with a memory expansion which I've removed due to the battery being very fluffy. It doesn't appear to have leaked, so the memory board might be recoverable.

Franchute13 15 May 2015 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiddenevil (Post 1019931)
I did remove a couple of the chips and reseat them, but for the most part, I pressed them down with my thumb. The mig came with a memory expansion which I've removed due to the battery being very fluffy. It doesn't appear to have leaked, so the memory board might be recoverable.

Remove Agnus (only use PLCC remover tools), clean socket and chip, reseat.
If the problem persist, maybe the problem is: RAM , traces from/to ram/ agnus / cpu, other chip between ram / agnus / cpu.

Hiddenevil 15 May 2015 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchute13 (Post 1019950)
Remove Agnus (only use PLCC remover tools), clean socket and chip, reseat.
If the problem persist, maybe the problem is: RAM , traces from/to ram/ agnus / cpu, other chip between ram / agnus / cpu.

I did remove the Agnus.....wish I hadn't. If anyone else reads this, please do what Franchute13 advises. USE a removal tool! and dont think "Oh removal tools are for jessies, two small screwdrivers will get the job done!" :bash

No, it wont, it will result in bent pins, ordering a new chip and feeling like a prize berk! What is worse, is I should have known better. Lets this be a lesson to me for getting cocky! lol

Franchute13 15 May 2015 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiddenevil (Post 1019989)
I did remove the Agnus.....wish I hadn't. If anyone else reads this, please do what Franchute13 advises. USE a removal tool! and dont think "Oh removal tools are for jessies, two small screwdrivers will get the job done!" :bash

No, it wont, it will result in bent pins, ordering a new chip and feeling like a prize berk! What is worse, is I should have known better. Lets this be a lesson to me for getting cocky! lol

Shows a picture of the state of Agnus. Maybe we can fix it.

Hiddenevil 15 May 2015 19:07

One of the pins has come out the chip, I tried gently pushing it back in to place, but it snapped off. Feel a prize prat for buggering it. It didn't help that the chip was held down with double sided sticky foam. I think if I hadn't been contending with that, I'd have been able to remove the chip alright. Still not using a proper removal tool was silly of me :/

Franchute13 15 May 2015 20:34

Do not worry about it.
It can be repaired. It is not easy.
Excuse my English. If you do not understand, you tell that I write again differently.
What you see black on the chip is a protector. You can dig a little in the black part to locate the source of the pin and solder a wire there.

http://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=46