English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Your most searched for Amiga game? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=8154)

IceC 09 January 2003 20:39

Your most searched for Amiga game?

Hi all,

I am wondering which game have you searched for the longest before you've eventually got to play it?

I played Maddog Williams on a coverdisk demo (could have been on Amiga Format), but didn't actually get to play it till about 6 years later on an emulator. I was thinking about the game on and off during the 6 years with my PC.

I know my case maybe a bit extreme, or maybe not?

oldpx 09 January 2003 20:45

I waited a few years to play eye of the beholder 3. I played it when I got a PC and were quite unimpressed with it in the end. I also waited more than a year for the release of the remake of pool of radiance, neverwinter nights and morrowind. First two games did not worth it but morrowind did :)

I'm currently waiting for a 3dfx card in order to play ultima 9. I tried to run it with TNT and a geforce 2 but performance was so bad that I gave up. now 3dfx boards are cheap and easy to find so it's time to get one to play all those glide games I missed :D

As for Amiga games, it must be final fight. Bloody bastard did not run on neither my old 500+ or the 1200 and I had to emulate it after ~8 years. It was crap compared to the arcade original anyway.

Drake1009 09 January 2003 22:04

All non 3Dfx cards sucked with Ultima IX, there's an unofficial patch which should greatly increase performance with D3D mode.

The Amiga game I searched the longest for after actually getting an Amiga would be Manix which was quite hard finding, and then finding a version which worked proved even more troublesome.

Dastardly 09 January 2003 23:40

Being a 'Bitmap Bros Whore' (c) someone ages ago) I always wondered what the Chaos Engine 2 was like, having never played i back then. It may have not taken me long to find it, but when I did, I wish it had.

Shatterhand 10 January 2003 00:02

well, the game I most searched for Amiga was the registered version of Tanx 'n' Stuff. And I still haven't found :D

2nd place would be Metal Gear. Then I found it was never published for the Amiga. :D

In 3rd comes both The Chaos Engine 2 and Kick Off 3. Here in Brazil we only received the AGA versions of those games, thus I could never play them until I got a PC and begun emulating the Amiga.

Then I found both games are crap :D

Oh, and I think I was the 1st one to call you a "Bitmap Brothers Whore" :D

7-Zark-7 10 January 2003 14:57

Although there's a few different games that I could list, there's probably one in particular that I remember well.
C64 Creatures. After following the hilarious Dev diary from the immortal Rowland Bros. for months in Zzap 64/Amiga (as it was at that time), playing the demo,& seeing the gold medal review I had to splurge for the expense of ordering it via mailorder from Zzap's mail-order store. (And keeping in mind it was considerably more in aussie dollars due to a lousy exchange rate-ha, that was good in comparison to today's exchange rate!). By this time the C64 was dead retail-wise in australia so I had no option but to mail order it.

Well several weeks later the game arrived, & it lived up to my every expectation!:D
Except within 24hours, the disk loader screwed itself & killed the disk & the game was stuffed. :(
So, further mail order expense was incurred along with a letter asking for an exchange, & a few weeks later a new copy arrived, hooray!!:D
But after about a week or so, (This time playing through to almost the last level),once again the disk loader caused itself to kill the disk & my 2nd copy died....:(
Having already spent around $60+ with the original ordering & returning the first game I didn't have the money to send it back & ask for another exchange or refund.
:crying :crying
Knowing how brill it was from playing it, yet being ripped off from a poorly written buggy loader,(when all my other C64 disks worked fine), felt incredibly frustrating.
Needless to say the 1st moment I found out about emulation, the C64 emulation & gaming scene Creatures was amongst my first d/l's!
And THIS time I was able to enjoy it as much as one can on PC emulation,& I finally saw the infamous end sequence!:D

Twistin'Ghost 10 January 2003 20:41

At the moment, one that I just can't seem to get my hands on is Puppy Love. It's not my most hard to find, it's just eluding the hell out of me. I always lose ebay bid wars on this bloody game and I have no idea what happened to the copy I had from the old days. But I am sure it will eventually surface.

the wolf 10 January 2003 22:23

The most awaited game for me (and I'm STILL waiting) is...

SNOW BROS!

Aaaaah! I want this game!!! :)

Getting seriously... probably Turrican 3. This was because the first two games were damn superb. Sadly, this third chapter was not so good... a pity.

7-Zark-7 11 January 2003 13:36

With Amiga Snow Bros., & Putty Squad, they'll be interesting cases in point-apart from certain members of the Amiga Press, us the Amiga gaming public have yet to see the final products.
If they ever do see the light of day in the emulation community, I wonder if either game will truly live up to our expectations?

Antiriad 11 January 2003 15:46

I scored for ages for Legends of Valour as mine (and all versions apparently) was buggy as hell, and i always wanted to complete it like i had on a mates pc!

That and Xenon III as i thought it was a genuine game :laughing

Overdoc 11 January 2003 18:58

@7-Zark-7:

Man, why didn't you write-protect the disk !?! I never ever played any original without write-protection ( if possible tried to copy & play from copy ), although I hardly had any originals ;)

My longest awaited game must be Double Dragon II, which never worked on my A-500 until 10 years later when I got another A-500, where I could finally play it :)

Titler 11 January 2003 19:52

Quote:

I'm currently waiting for a 3dfx card in order to play ultima 9. I tried to run it with TNT and a geforce 2 but performance was so bad that I gave up. now 3dfx boards are cheap and easy to find so it's time to get one to play all those glide games I missed :D

That's strange; I have a a Geforce II MX/MX 400 and Ultima IX works fine on my machine. I used the unofficial patch (found at www.fansforultima.com) and changed the cd accessing down to an absolute minimum, and it would run perfectly well at maximum settings.

CodyJarrett 11 January 2003 19:55

I played through the whole game with all the patches, under DirectX with my GeForce too. At certain points it was quite slow, but other times it was fine.

Twistin'Ghost 11 January 2003 20:16

Somehow, this is turning into a PC game thread...

Time Bandit 11 January 2003 20:34

Borneo Crime Syndicate AGA :o

Titler 11 January 2003 20:39

Oh alright then...

... Game I waited the longest to play on the Amiga, and now have thanks to emulation, was probably Gloom, from the days Amiga Power reviewed it, until a few weeks ago when I actually loaded it up. Although it looks far, far worse, and doesn't seem to play anywhere near as well as I have told myself it would over the years.

(and an arcade perfect Choplifter through MAME too, which I've wanted ever since I played the original back in 1985).

CodyJarrett 11 January 2003 20:57

Try Gloom Deluxe - it looks better than the original version.

Gloom is a cool game!

Incomparabile 11 January 2003 21:26

I had some trouble finding Super Ski 2 and Super Off Road, when I didn't know nothing about IRC and TOSEC :)

Titler 11 January 2003 21:30

Quote:

Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Try Gloom Deluxe - it looks better than the original version.

Gloom is a cool game!

Me tried... it seems horribly steppy when me tries to turn with stick, even in postage stamp sized screen. Me disappointed muchely.

And I've just tried Better Dead Than Alien. I remember it got 4/10 in Commodore User (I think it was, maybe CU Amiga). Better Graphics Next Time Chaps I think is a more apt title!

CodyJarrett 11 January 2003 21:40

Gloom is nice and fast in WinUAE on my PC - not a lot of help if you've got an under-powered real Amiga, though.