English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help! Why is WinUAE so slow?? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1175)

The Rose 23 August 2001 09:50

Help?Why is Winuae soooo slow?

Hi All

When using Winfellow the games run relatively smoothly but there are some titles that just won't work. However, Winuae 8.8 (and other versions)will run these titles but it's soooo slow, well slow normal slow normal slow normal very slow medium slow ohh! u get the message.

My computer is quite powerful, well standard(2 years old), but I don't know the specs. Technophobe I hear you cry.

Anyway, can one of you wizards help me 'cause if I don't play sensi soccer soon I'll have to head for the nearest bridge.

Cheers

Fred the Fop 23 August 2001 10:19

If using Windows, right click on My Computer ( I assume you are using Win 98) and go to Properties, click on Performance tab..there is a basic idea of your computer. Your chip speed, video cards, Ram , bus (measured in MHZ., like your CPU) all affect it. If you want Win UAE to blaze, a cheap trick is to turn of sound before loading a game.
This makes most games unplayable. But it'll get it fast. try moving the slider bar in CPU tab to 8 or more.
Others here are far more qualified than me, but try these out:)

Khephren 23 August 2001 10:55

Dunno if this is any help, but some fuckwitt emailed with this the other day.

He basically wanted to know why Quake/HL/Unreal had frame rates of 150 and the Amiga emulator had only 49/50 frames a second.

The fact is that 50 frames a second is full frame rate for an Amiga. I can get that with full stereo sound on a P3 850.

That's my contribution. Just mess around with the settings. Display/Processor settings will probably speed the bugger up more than anything else. Are you using full screen or a window? use full screen. What screen size are you using? There are many things that can alter the performance.

Amiga1992 23 August 2001 17:21

Haha, Khephren, that's pathetic. Those PC-heads have no clue about anything :)

Khephren 23 August 2001 18:25

You'll be amazed what emails I get sent. Wonder if people realise that the human can't tell the difference between 50 fps and 170 fps?

PC people are fine...as long as they stick to PC. Give them an Amiga and you might have well removed their brains at birth.

Thankfully I'm a complete smartarse and know both formats intimately :)

The Rose 24 August 2001 16:23

what?

Yeah, that's it, have a nice little chat dissin us people who actually have a social life and partners instead of shafting our computers day and night. I don't use computers to understand them, I just wanna play games and surf the net so if you could assist me in any way I'd be gratful, if not then save your dissin for eachother.

Thanx

P.S What does fps stand for anyway?

Twistin'Ghost 24 August 2001 17:33

@The Rose
I didn't see anyone dissin' you, only 'fuckwits' from Khephren's email bin. Folks that do go throwing terms like fps (frames per second) around, so obviously they stick their neck out of the 'just wanna play games' hole when they start trying to assault technical issues. Thereby making them open targets for dissing, IMO. And neither of us can say if these people have social lives or not...for all we know, they are using their shaft as we speak. :)
Quote:

I don't use computers to understand them, I just wanna play games and surf the net so if you could assist me in any way I'd be gratful, if not then save your dissin for eachother.
If you will look at the first two responses (from fredtgreat and Khepren), you will see that they did indeed offer some tips for improving speed. Let's not be so defensive!

Amiga1992 24 August 2001 17:56

Yes, Rose, i twasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at those who emailed Kheph.

I doubt those have a social life, they are all day in their dark corner playing Quake deathmatches.

The Rose 24 August 2001 18:18

okay

Okay, okay, I appologise for my outburst. I'm just frustrated at not being able to sort this problem out. Could you kindly run though it again, baring in mind that I am probably the biggest techniphobe in the western world. I know it's painful but if I don't play sensi soon I'm gonna through this PC out of da window.
Cheerss

Amiga1992 24 August 2001 18:31

Next time try to press POST REPLY rather than NEW THREAD :P

About Sensi... you could always play the DOS version of SWOS...

Fred the Fop 24 August 2001 23:09

How d'you do? See you've met...my faithfulllll haaandyy mannn
So, Rose, did it work? And akira..I have seen one night, how those Quake\Rune\Diablo\etc LANs occur.
These people..man...talk about...ugh.

Amiga1992 25 August 2001 04:24

At a local 'demoparty' (it actually is more of a digital arts compo, but it features scene-like compos and it's handled as a scene party), I've seen a lot of this shitty lanplaying going on.. while those pathetic souls were playing with that crap, I was playing Boulderdash.

And there was otehr guy, playing Space Harrier... We were the retrofreaks :)

Fred the Fop 25 August 2001 05:44

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was totally sickened how these people could be so..obsessive about horrid games like that.
I was busy playing the original (and best) Panzer general...they thought I was strange..Yet they were screaming that the lan or host was slow, tripping over wires, crying, ugh. Nevah again.
Lets get back on course.
I suggest, Rose, you try WinFellow or teh fastest Amiga emu yet, DOS Fellow. I am not as command line proficient as these guys, but i can run simpler DOS apps and commands. If you can't, then try WinFellow..its quite faster than WinUAE!!!

FallenSeraphin 17 February 2005 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khephren
Dunno if this is any help, but some fuckwitt emailed with this the other day.

He basically wanted to know why Quake/HL/Unreal had frame rates of 150 and the Amiga emulator had only 49/50 frames a second.

The fact is that 50 frames a second is full frame rate for an Amiga. I can get that with full stereo sound on a P3 850.

That's my contribution. Just mess around with the settings. Display/Processor settings will probably speed the bugger up more than anything else. Are you using full screen or a window? use full screen. What screen size are you using? There are many things that can alter the performance.

I can get 50fps on my PII 450 with full sound and perfect a500 emulation (slowest) with 800x600 32bit double size 85hz... its funny how people nowadays need P4 2ghz to do the same thing... but i always had problems with sound on UAE and graphics on FELLOW... :guru this is not funny...