English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Jens Schoenfeld (iComp) leaving the Amiga Scene? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96606)

Overmann 07 March 2019 18:10

Is Jens Schoenfeld (iComp) leaving the Amiga Scene?

Can this be true?

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiga/comme..._email_claims/

If so something needs to be done! This cannot stand! Jens is one of the great old ones. He has been designing amiga hardware since the 90s. He has 060 designs scenduled for 2019. He is a god damn jedi! What is Cloanto thinking if they are doing ANYTHING that could jepordize the business of someone like Jens. This is incredible.

I hope this is simply untrue!

roondar 07 March 2019 18:13

Sadly, it seems to be true yes.

The last couple of pages of the Amiga Reloaded thread also cover this, with a facebook post copied to page 5 that gives a more official answer by him:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94841&page=5

Overmann 07 March 2019 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1309391)
Sadly, it seems to be true yes.

The last couple of pages of the Amiga Reloaded thread also cover this, with a facebook post copied to page 5 that gives a more official answer by him:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94841&page=5

Well, something clearly has to be done about it! Jens can't be forced out. He kept with it when everyone else left! This isn't right!

512k 07 March 2019 18:17

Depressing

Edited post people beat me by a fews seconds

Solo Kazuki 07 March 2019 18:20

Read last comment:

Quote:

Posted on Facebook in Jens' name in response to the attached screenshot of the email above.

From Jens:

Hi,

the eMail was not meant for the public, but only for selected exhibitors of the Amiga34 event.

I will continue all work normally until mid-february 2020. This includes finishing all started designs. Chip sets are currently not for sale (other than the single-unit sales in the shop system, which are limited).

If Cloanto wins a lawsuit before mid-february 2020, I will surely leave the market. That’s currently very uncertain.

ciao,

Jens Schönfeld
So for me it's: It depend from law status in mid-february 2020. It's something like "if i'll lose, then it will be goodbye"

roondar 07 March 2019 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512k (Post 1309393)
Depressing

Edited post people beat me by a fews seconds

I know, it is depressing. So much so I overreacted in the other thread and shot the messenger rather than the message. But it's no fun.

As for what can be done about it? I'm not sure. The only thing I can imagine that can guarantee a good result is somehow convincing Cloanto and/or Individual Computers to drop the legal proceedings (I have no idea who is suing who!).

But trying such a thing has to be done respectfully or it probably will only make things worse. And there are no guarantees it'd even work.

Overmann 07 March 2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki (Post 1309394)
Read last comment:
So for me it's: It depend from law status in mid-february 2020. It's something like "if i'll lose, then it will be goodbye"

Do we know some details? I just can't imagine cloanto being in the right here. It's like stubling onto a fight between my uncle and some drunk lunatic dressed in a linen bag. I'm not gonna take the lunatics side!

kolla 07 March 2019 18:33

He's not forced out, he foolishly signed up with Hyperion, despite all the red flags waiving before his face.

lantus360 07 March 2019 18:34

better buy up those Accelerator and Scandoubler boards now fellas. They will be out of stock/collectors items this time next year

kolla 07 March 2019 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantus360 (Post 1309401)
better buy up those Accelerator and Scandoubler boards now fellas. They will be out of stock/collectors items this time next year

They are already redundant, so what's the point?

roondar 07 March 2019 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1309400)
He's not forced out, he foolishly signed up with Hyperion, despite all the red flags waiving before his face.

AFAIK the issue is to do with the P96 ownership question. Hyperion didn't sell that to him, did they? I thought the original authors sold him 'ownership'.

lantus360 07 March 2019 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1309402)

less Amiga hardware in the hands of people who want it.

Overmann 07 March 2019 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1309400)

What do you mean he signed up with hyperion? For what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1309402)

Once again, what do you mean? Reduntant how?

Retro-Nerd 07 March 2019 18:38

Quote:

I thought the original authors sold on the ownership.

That is true. Though Cloanto still thinks they have some valid licences.

Icomp site update from yesterday.

Quote:

addendum march 6th, 2019:
In the mean time, the company Cloanto has published e-mails that supposedly support their claim to own a perpetual license to P96. However, the published eMails clearly show that the license is "non-upgradable", which of course applies to both sides. This means that the license would have had to be renewed with the release of "Amiga Forever" V5.1, which came out on december 23rd, 2002. Such a renewal did not happen, so the acquired license is void now. The authors were correct not telling us about any more current licensees, as Cloanto proved without a legal doubt.

Samurai_Crow 07 March 2019 18:44

There's always CyberGraphX and its AROS spin-off. P96 is getting obsolete and needs upgrades but the CyberGraphX license is maintained by the MorphOS team.

ROM 07 March 2019 19:03

if Jens goes out, I won't ever buy anything from Cloanto, :mad

grond 07 March 2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROM (Post 1309412)
if Jens goes out, I won't ever buy anything from Cloanto, :mad

Because Cloanto didn't do Jens the favour and paid again for what they already paid 18 years ago?

ROM 07 March 2019 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1309414)
Because Cloanto didn't do Jens the favour and paid again for what they already paid 18 years ago?

That's not his fault, they need to sue the people selling him the license. As clearly the way i see it they misrepresented themselves no?

grond 07 March 2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROM (Post 1309416)
That's not his fault, they need to sue the people selling him the license. As clearly the way i see it they misrepresented themselves no?

No. The original license cannot become void because of a later contract with a different party. There might be reason for dispute between Jens and the P96 parties, though, if there are different perceptions of what was left to be sold in their much later deal.

ExiE 07 March 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 1309406)
That is true. Though Cloanto still thinks they have some valid licences.

Icomp site update from yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addendum march 6th, 2019
In the mean time, the company Cloanto has published e-mails that supposedly support their claim to own a perpetual license to P96. However, the published eMails clearly show that the license is "non-upgradable", which of course applies to both sides. This means that the license would have had to be renewed with the release of "Amiga Forever" V5.1, which came out on december 23rd, 2002. Such a renewal did not happen, so the acquired license is void now. The authors were correct not telling us about any more current licensees, as Cloanto proved without a legal doubt.

"without upgrade privileges" is the sentence. I am not sure what it really means. From Cloanto's point of view it has no sense to negotiate new deal for every Amiga Forever version. No right to use any future Picasso96 version has much bigger sense to me but anyway another
feast for lawyers