English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Game Realism (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3746)

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 01:38

Game Realism

1 Attachment(s)
Am I the only person out there that just doesn't get this whole thing with calling modern games graphics realistic? This wonderful piece of gaming art (:laughing) if from the X-Tosh version of Max Payne (erm, make that Max Pain...)

Oh dear...

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 01:39

1 Attachment(s)
Need more examples? How about Return To Castle Wolfenstein from that same dire system...

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 01:40

1 Attachment(s)
OK, my last example of the X-Box in action, this time from Crazy Taxi. Sorry, I am just not impressed. Call me a cynic...

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 01:42

1 Attachment(s)
I'm more impressed with the GBA, personally...

RCK 17 March 2002 02:00

All 2D gfx artists are very pleased with the GBA system, the only powerfull 2D system remaining on the market.
(it's one of the reason why SquareSoft has returned under nintendo system, cause some or their best 2D artists would have leave if they didn't)

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 02:16

Yeah, GBA games rule. I have a bunch of screens from this version of The Three Stooges and they are all beautiful. Likewise, all of the screens I have for the aforementioned XBox games are cack.

I once heard turds were sold in the back ads of National Enquirer.

Djay 17 March 2002 02:24

I LOVE MY GBA :D

Shatterhand 17 March 2002 03:20

That's the case I said in another thread

Those oh-so called realistic graphics are done with zillions of poligons , but in the end , they just look bland and lifeless.

With 2D , the sprites have more life, they are more colorfull, and that's why they are more interesting. Want "realistic" graphics? Give me Flahsback at anytime.. :)

Twistin'Ghost 17 March 2002 03:29

Exactly. And that's why I created this new thread to better illustrate this. The only way a level of realism will truly be captured is with photo-style movies being interactive, and that doesn't sound within our reach at present. But even if it was, it would probably end up being some over-compressed mpeg variation that would zilch away any realism anyhow.

I'm like you, I find 2D graphics far more engrossing and believeable than crooked, jagged-pointy polygon bodyparts that bounce up and down like bunny rabbits and have the facial expressions of robots.

Amiga1992 17 March 2002 19:29

That MAx Payne shot is TREMENDOUS. What happened to that guy? Victim of a car accident, for sure. Not only his body is deformed (look at his deformed arms, he can barely grab a shotgun), but his face looks retarded. Poor Max!

And CRazy TAxi looks pathetic. What's with all that glimmering NONSENSE!? it pollutes the visuals! The Dreamcast version is so much better, and cleaner!

Long life 2D!

Dastardly 17 March 2002 19:53

I think your being a bit hard on 3D graphics. You used an extreme example of how bad 3D can look in the hands of incompetent artists. The 3D in MGS2 or GT3 is FAR superior to the examples you have used and is almost photo realistic in GT's case.
I too love the charm of 2D but I also love 3D games.
3D opens up possiblities that could never have been done in 2D.

Amiga1992 17 March 2002 20:07

What possibilities? Mind telling me?
by the way, I wouldn't call anyone at Sega incompetent, they have done really good 3D stuff before (to wit: Crazy Taxi on the DC or Sonic Adventure or Jet Set Radi or...), and look at that Crazy TAxi poop.. look at the wheel protruding through the car... that shit didnt use to happen anymore! Z buffering, its called methinks..

Dastardly 17 March 2002 20:09

The whole FPS genre for one thing

Amiga1992 17 March 2002 20:16

Read again, I edited my post. Sorry.

BTW, if all it brought is FPS, sheesh, I could live without that garbage :D

Though I think the FPS genre was brought by OPERATION WOLF.

Dastardly 17 March 2002 20:26

For one thing I never called SEGA incompetent, I was referring to the MAX PAYNE pic.
Also your dislike of the FPS genre is your personal preference, you DID ask for an example of what 3D had brought, and comparing OPERATION WOLF to the likes of QUAKE for example, is like comparing OUT RUN to GRAND TURISMO.

RCK 17 March 2002 23:19

I prefers OUTRUN :cool
be carefull, EAB is a huge retrofan area, dropping everything bigger than one floppy disk :laughing

CPC464 17 March 2002 23:21

Modern Games

Hmmmm how many times have I asked myself this question.

You should also look at games like Shadowman, Max Payne and Deus Ex, although they were good games to play they lacked some older game graphics.......

Compare these games to Crusader No Remorse and Diablo.

I don't know if it's sloppy programming or just graphics now but I think the gaming industry has took a GIANT leap backwards, I mean we are supposed to have graphics cards that can handle millions of pixels and OS's that are meant to help games run better but PLEASE COME ON.....

Crusader No Remorse was in SVGA and ran is DOS

As I said Giant leap Backwards

Dastardly 17 March 2002 23:44

Quote:

Originally posted by RCK
I prefers OUTRUN :cool
be carefull, EAB is a huge retrofan area, dropping everything bigger than one floppy disk :laughing

I too am a huge retrogaming fan, especially the Commodore machines, but I think disliking modern games just because you love retro so much is silly. After all, even the visual wondergames of today will one day be considered 'retro'.

RCK 17 March 2002 23:59

"smile smile" (copyright Vandread)

Twistin'Ghost 18 March 2002 01:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Dastardly
I too am a huge retrogaming fan, especially the Commodore machines, but I think disliking modern games just because you love retro so much is silly. After all, even the visual wondergames of today will one day be considered 'retro'. [
We're not disliking modern games because we love retro. We are disliking modern games because they are rubbish. I'll be more than happy to publish more horrendous examples, since there is a neverending infinity of that stuff. These examples I used were not carefully chosen, horrible as they are - I grabbed the first screens from the games that I saw. I'm sure there's worse. And I chose games that were popular, otherwise there would have been a bunch of responses saying how great "Max Payne" is, etc. If this is what people are accepting for their X-Box, then they deserve what they get for putting money in Microsoft's pocket. Pay the devil, burn in Hell... :D

You say these games will one day be retro? All it takes to be retro is being old. No matter how great or how shitty, there will always be a group that will come along in 20 years and embrace it because they grew up with it (loving it or hating it). Look at abandonware. Lowsy old PC games that nobody cared about. Then emulation takes off and the abandonware crowd jumps on the bandwagon. These people prefer playing CGA and EGA versions of games that are infinitely better on every other platform the games were released on. Being retro and being good have nothing to do with each other. Debbie Gibson and Tiffany are retro. New Kids On The Block are retro. Vanilla Ice is retro. And they are all cack. One day Danzig will be retro (sigh...)

And before someone does the inevitable and comes along defending abandonware, I already know there are games not on any other platform that must be preserved, blah blah blah. Regardless, what kind of inbred boob is really going to ever play the Hercules version of Star Goose or the ECS version of Toobin'?