English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Box scans of Sq3? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10421)

fisken uno 04 July 2003 19:15

Box scans of Sq3?

I know it's not considered very cool to request CAPS releases on this board, but this one's a little special; I'd like to request the box scans ONLY (all sides) of the Space Quest 3 box (I believe it is a CAPS release?). No DISKimages, just images!

The reason is because I saw these VRML 3d boxes and was completely stunned! A nostalgic feeling went through all my body and instantly I came to think of a website that might have very good use for such presentations of boxes; www.spacequest.net. This site has loads of boxes of the Sq games, so I thought I might upload a 3d version of the Sq box, send him the link and ask what he thinks about it. Is this ok?

VermillioN 06 July 2003 10:59

I uploaded the full SQ3 scan pkg plus the hint book to caps last week :)
No idea when it's planned for release though

IFW 06 July 2003 16:18

About the hintbook:
What does the red window card do? Filters red colours?
Can you scan it?

fiath 06 July 2003 23:21

Do they have permission to distribute all that stuff for the Space Quest games?

If so, we can upload the scans to them ourselves. I will have to ask Marc (MAGC) if it is okay to use his VRML though. I am sure he will be fine with it...

Either way, it will have to wait for the release, I don't know when this will be happening either, but I have been able to spend some time sorting out the scans today, so I hope we can buckle down and get some more scan packages out soon. I'll make sure it is one of them.

fisken uno 07 July 2003 03:53

Fiath: You're wondering if Sq.net have permission to use all the stuff from the sq games? Well, honestly I don't know. I don't know if the webmaster is interested in the VRML boxes either, I just thought it would fit the site very neatly so I might ask him.

Concerning the rights, however, when it comes to Sierra it's mostly no problems at all. As you might know the Sierra of today is not the Sierra we all want to remember; Ken Williams "sold out" but wasn't prepared that the new boss would shut down the Oakhurst facility - where all the old classics had once been developed - and tell the entire staff to go home. The Sierra of today aren't interested in their old titles, they cancelled the development of SQ7 and LSL8 when the new regime took over. Most of the old titles are out of print. The Space Quest games are not FPS enough for the youth of today, so they can't raise the big bucks. It's sad, but true. Ken Williams has spoken on the subject and Al Lowe has.

Besides, when it comes to boxes - do you need rights to host them on a site? The boxes are the final commercials for the games, the last thing you hold in your hand before you actually BUY the game! As long as you don't modify the boxes I can't really think of why you shouldn't be allowed to share 'em.

Sorry for this messy post, when it comes to Sierra my heart starts beating harder.

fiath 07 July 2003 09:33

Technically, I would say that as boxes were part of the original product, it would be illegal to provide any part of it for download. Of course, nobody cares in the real world because (they probably even like seeing them available) even if they did care, hobby sites wouldn't be able to pay them enough to warrent the measure if they did sue.

The fact that Sierra don't care doesn't really concern me. The only thing that does concern me is that there is a *possibility* that somebody would take issue with it.

Of course, it is very unlikely, but as a project, we decided to stay "above board" in all things - just in case.

Hopefully when the release is out, you will be able to find it around anyway.

VermillioN 07 July 2003 11:44

Quote:

Originally posted by IFW
About the hintbook:
What does the red window card do? Filters red colours?
Can you scan it?

Yep makes the blue writing underneath visible.. and I tested the scans with red cellophane and they work fine ;)

The window card for the SQ3 hint book is no longer so wasn't scanned.. but I still have the one for KQ3 which is exactly the same. So I guess those scans could be used for the SQ3 release. :cheese
Other hint books like Monkey Island came with just a piece of cellophane so I wont bother scanning those ;)
I'll do the KQ3 pack next

IFW 07 July 2003 11:51

Thanks I was going to ask about scans still being readable, but you were faster ;)

fisken uno 07 July 2003 19:31

Fiath: Never mind. I'll just mail him the link to magc.caps-project.org so he can check out the 3d boxes. If he's interested I'm absolutely sure that he can create his own boxes. If I had a scanner I would be able to create them on my own, but I don't.

fiath 08 July 2003 09:29

Good idea. I corrected the link btw :)