English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   CAPS Update: Biggest Ever (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=12822)

fiath 20 February 2004 19:16

CAPS Update: Biggest Ever

Biggest CAPS update ever is now up.

http://www.caps-project.org

Enjoy the bedtime reading!

Release mails will be going out over the next couple of days. Please be patient! :)

killergorilla 20 February 2004 19:34

Good stuff :D

Currently having a traul through some of it :)

Antiriad 20 February 2004 20:51

Remind me Fiath, was it another dump of Kiilling Game Show you wanted?

jmmijo 20 February 2004 21:38

I too am browsing the latest CAPS info :D

Great job fiath and to everyone at CAPS ;)

Chuckles 20 February 2004 22:15

I've just finished perusing the release list and the updates to the C.A.P.S. site, and I'm impressed! On the website, I particularly liked the reorganization of the FAQ's into the knowledge base, and some of the articles made for an interesting read. I might just have to play around with a copy of "Little Computer People" this weekend based on the info in that article.

As for the release itself, I think this release is going to reduce the amount of dumping that I have left to do a bit. I'll have to check this against my list when I get home, but it looks like there are about 10 titles in this release that were on my "to be dumped" list, so I'm probably down to around 15 or so titles left to dump. I ought to be able to finish that over the weekend with a bit of luck, and then I'll only need to worry about dumping anything new I manage to run across.

Good work! :D

whiteb 20 February 2004 22:35

Quote:

Originally posted by Antiriad
Remind me Fiath, was it another dump of Kiilling Game Show you wanted?
I think he said yes, Due to the moronic actions of psygnosis not putting verification data (or something) on the disk.

I would say it cannot hurt.

whiteb 20 February 2004 22:38

Quote:

Originally posted by Chuckles

As for the release itself, I think this release is going to reduce the amount of dumping that I have left to do a bit. I'll have to check this against my list when I get home, but it looks like there are about 10 titles in this release that were on my "to be dumped" list, so I'm probably down to around 15 or so titles left to dump. I ought to be able to finish that over the weekend with a bit of luck, and then I'll only need to worry about dumping anything new I manage to run across.

Good work! :D

I think one of the rules about CAPS, is that whilst a game may now be dumped, just dont say "Ok it doesnt need dumping".

Its recommended, if you have a disk, and its listed as being submitted/dumped, is to dump it anyway, the disk layout might be a bit different, different budget release, slightly different disk format etc.

Chuckles 20 February 2004 23:27

Well, I can always dump those 10 and submit them, but I doubt there will be any difference between these and the ones included in this release. All 10 are US releases of Infocom titles, which are AFAIK plain vanilla AmigaDOS format with no on-disk protection at all, and none were "budget" releases (I don't think there ever were any "budget" releases of the Infocom titles on the Amiga in the US, aside from the "Lost Treasures of Infocom" collection). If additional dumps of those are of any use then I'll be happy to dump them, but they do go to the end of the priority list behind anything else that I have that hasn't yet been released.

fiath 21 February 2004 00:08

Quote:

Originally posted by whiteb
I think he said yes, Due to the moronic actions of psygnosis not putting verification data (or something) on the disk.
Not quite. We need more dumps of the disk because we cannot automatically check the integrity info that they contain yet (they do have some). They used a 1.5 bit encoding method for that game (and a few others), and it needs support that is quite a lot of work to add.

See here:

http://www.caps-project.org/wip-apr-...html#Psygnosis

Antiriad 21 February 2004 18:10

I have now dumped and uploaded my Monster Pack Vol 2 version of Killing Game Show. I hope it helps :)

Bad Mr Frosty 21 February 2004 20:50

Any chance of my name being added to the dumping credits list?

Please?

Pretty please?

etc...

While on the subject, would it be possible to add the name of the person who dumped a game to the online games database?

fiath 21 February 2004 21:36

I know, we have not managed to update the credits list for far too long. I am sorry about that. Will do this as soon as possible.

About adding names to the games screen. I am not sure that is a good idea for privacy reasons...

Codetapper 21 February 2004 22:14

Privacy schmivacy!

Why not ask the contributors if it is OK for their name/handle to be displayed? I certainly do not mind "Codetapper" being shown beside any games I have uploaded and I would imagine most other people wouldn't mind either.

And if somebody desperately wants to contact me about a game I provided, I don't mind.

And this way if anybody doesn't want to be displayed - the name would just appear empty.

jmmijo 21 February 2004 22:21

Re: Privacy schmivacy!

Quote:

Originally posted by Codetapper

And this way if anybody doesn't want to be displayed - the name would just appear empty.

or even N/A for Not Available ;)

Enverex 21 February 2004 23:28

Fine by me.

killergorilla 22 February 2004 03:20

sounds perfect to me. I'd be more than glad to wrestle with someone over a release!

Marcuz 23 February 2004 17:35

wow there are now more caps releases than goodgba roms out!
good work!

killergorilla 23 February 2004 17:37

There are also more CAPS releases than there are people in Vatican City (The country with the world's smallest population)

fiath 23 February 2004 18:09

Quote:

Originally posted by marco pedrana
wow there are now more caps releases than goodgba roms out!
good work!

Note that it also takes far more effort to make an IPF file that reading out a ROM file.

See here for (too much ;)) info on what we have to do for each format.

Marcuz 23 February 2004 20:52

yep i'm aware of that, do you ever get tired of win mentions? ;) i've made the paragon just because, as leechin bastard, i keep track of both of them sets and the releases are similary enumerated. Of course CAPS have a special place in my hart *cough* what a tracherous bastard! *cough*
:cheese