English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Tutorials (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   2k intro boot... (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98927)

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1347826)
Did you use the version I posted? (post #16)
Notice the commented code.

I assure you that it works.


Just assembled your text and wrote it to a blank adf but it doesn't boot ... dunno why ... if you say that....

ross 26 September 2019 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 1347827)
Just assembled your text and wrote it to a blank adf but it doesn't boot ... dunno why ... if you say that....

Upload your ADF to the Zone.

EDIT:
or attach here, zipped is really tiny :)

ross 26 September 2019 01:00

Nothing on disk, so you fail before the CC write
(which, however, is calculated and written properly ;)).

Sure your WS is working?


But now :sleep

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1347831)
Nothing on disk, so you fail before the CC write.

Sure your WS is working?


But now :sleep


I just entered WS.... and did everything the way you told me.... if u are asleep now ... don't worry about ....
we can sort it out tomorrow I guess ...

many thanks buddy.... goodnite!

redblade 26 September 2019 01:20

2 Attachment(s)
Did you try that bootblock.s from the archive? It's already set up and displays some text. It is also set up so that you can test the code under AsmOne before writing to the bootblock.

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by redblade (Post 1347834)
Did you try that bootblock.s from the archive? It's already set up and displays some text. It is also set up so that you can test the code under AsmOne before writing to the bootblock.


many thanks redblade ...

the code you have attached works fine when I assemble and start by the ASM-One but I don't
know why ... once again ... the disk won't boot after writing the bootblock ...

ross told me that maybe something goes wrong when I write the bootblock to the disk ...

I'm out of my depth here ... hope we can sort it out....

mr.spiv 26 September 2019 03:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1347134)
Booblock itself is only 1KB so you have to load the 2 additional sectors.
I have no idea if there is a special tool, but if you want I will do it for you ;)

If the disk is used for anything else than just to show off the 2KB boot you want to reserve space for the additional 2 sectors from the disk bitmap. Otherwise the chances are that some random file overwrites those sectors not in 2 reserved sectors for the bootblock. DiskMon or equivalent tool allows bitmap manipulation with a easy to use GUI.

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 21:29

2 Attachment(s)
Today I tried to do not use a custom disk created at the moment for this purpose ...

So, got an .adf file as DOpus v4, I performed the test of writing the assembled source as revised by ross on its boot block.
I made, also, a screen capture, for the occasion, of the .adf as it appears in WinUAE before and after launching the WS command. This was done with the purpose of examine what is going on the disk and if the WS procedure makes his job correctly....

Starting the disk it, once again, it do not want to listen to boot...

What are your conclusions about all this?

ross 26 September 2019 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 1347991)
Today I tried to do not use a custom disk created at the moment for this purpose ...

So, got an .adf file as DOpus v4, I performed the test of writing the assembled source as revised by ross on its boot block.
I made, also, a screen capture, for the occasion, of the .adf as it appears in WinUAE before and after launching the WS command. This was done with the purpose of examine what is going on the disk and if the WS procedure makes his job correctly....

What are your conclusions about all this?

That WS for some reason do not works for you :)

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1347998)
That WS for some reason do not works for you :)


what's left over for me ross? :guru

ross 26 September 2019 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 1348002)
what's left over for me ross? :guru

Describe your situation exactly.
What version of ASM-One do you use?
What happens when you type WS?
Do you see drive activity after entering the parameters required by WS?

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 22:42

ASM-One V1.20, KS/WB 1.x version version downloaded from TFA site, I use WinUAE with KS1.3...
when I type WS,RAM PRT>bb, DISK PTR>0, LENGTH>2, CC and I see activity on disk...

heavy 26 September 2019 22:52

try with another program (megamon,boot master...)
if same problem, it's winuae : don't use turbo mode on df0:

with megamon for example :
open megamon, load the file, compute checksum and write the boot :
L boot.bin 40000
b 40000
>b 40000 0 2

if exe file, skip hunk : boot start at $40020

ross 26 September 2019 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 1348012)
ASM-One V1.20, KS/WB 1.x version version downloaded from TFA site, I use WinUAE with KS1.3...
when I type WS,RAM PRT>bb, DISK PTR>0, LENGTH>2, CC and I see activity on disk

I'm on very different setup: ASM-One v1.49RC2 (require KS>2), KS3.1.

You shoud see activity on disk also after inserting "2".

WS give you the prompt: "RAM PRT>", you respond with "bb".
Then ASM-One prompt "DISK PTR>", you "0"; then prompt "DISK PTR>", you "2"; disk activity.
You "CC", disk activity.

I can't help you more than that :D

D4Ni3L3 26 September 2019 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1348016)
I'm on very different setup: ASM-One v1.49RC2 (require KS>2), KS3.1.

You shoud see activity on disk also after inserting "2".

WS give you the prompt: "RAM PRT>", you respond with "bb".
Then ASM-One prompt "DISK PTR>", you "0"; then prompt "DISK PTR>", you "2"; disk activity.
You "CC", disk activity.

I can't help you more than that :D


Now I am using ASM-One V1.48 and something new has happening... because after WS, RAM PRT, DISK PRT examining the bootblock I see something changed but it left for me to launch correctly the CC because I have Illegal operator.....

D4Ni3L3 27 September 2019 00:47

1 Attachment(s)
Now I should have your setup ASM-One v1.49RC2 ... see what happens?

Will some of you tell me what's going on? Am I cursed maybe?

D4Ni3L3 27 September 2019 01:06

End of the story... I now can assume that what caused all this mess was a feeble control of the disk writing process ... All was sorted out just starting WinUAE as administrator...
Thanks to any of you for helping me....

DrCinicus 27 September 2019 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 1348012)
ASM-One V1.20, KS/WB 1.x version version downloaded from TFA site, I use WinUAE with KS1.3...
when I type WS,RAM PRT>bb, DISK PTR>0, LENGTH>2, CC and I see activity on disk...


Did you assemble the program in chip or fast ram?
Because, IIRC, trackdisk.device in KS 1.3 can write/read data only from chip ram.

D4Ni3L3 27 September 2019 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCinicus (Post 1348040)
Did you assemble the program in chip or fast ram?
Because, IIRC, trackdisk.device in KS 1.3 can write/read data only from chip ram.


in Fast ram...

DrCinicus 27 September 2019 10:46

Ok, there are two solution:
- use a KS 2.0+ (just to assembleand disk writing)
- assemble the program in chip-ram


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04912 seconds with 11 queries