English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New Sonic game for the Amiga - Demo (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41747)

KevG 02 January 2009 22:26

New Sonic game for the Amiga - Demo

Hi folks.

I have just started development of a new Sonic The Hedgehog type game but I really need some help from you musicians out there. I would be grateful if someone could knock up a few 'jolly tunes' for me as I am hopeless at using music sequencers.

Format: Protracker (voices 1,2 & 3 only) I need voice 0 for soundFX.

To show you what I have got so far, below is a screenshot of a very early demo and there is a link to the sonic.adf image at the bottom. Please try it out if you have the time. I currently get 50fps on an A500.

If anyone is interested in producing some music modules for me then please post a note in this thread and I will reply as soon as possible. Please note that I have a full time job so please be patient for a reply.

Regards, KevG.

the demo can be downloaded here... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevonthenet/sonic.adf

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevonth...miga_sonic.png

Shoonay 02 January 2009 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevG (Post 494563)
I currently get 50fps on an A500.

Holy shit, if that's true, you rule, mate! :bowdown
Where have you been all these years? ;)

---=== EDITED ===---
Oh, and just noticed that this is your 1st post (after TCD's response ;)) so Hello and welcome to EAB! :)

TCD 02 January 2009 22:32

Hi KevG,

welcome to EAB :)
Looks nice (but not really much going on right now ;)) Best of luck with your project and with finding some musicians to help you out :agree

turrican3 02 January 2009 22:41

that's look amazing, thank you guy :great
i will have a look fastly.

Retro1234 02 January 2009 22:44

Thats a cool demo youve made there with Parralax - I cant belive you made it in Amos

Retro-Nerd 02 January 2009 23:07

Runs perfectly smooth on a real machine. But is this still possible after you've added the music & sprites? :)

KevG 02 January 2009 23:12

Sorry! hello to everyone! Yes, I am a new member around here and thank you for the warm welcome :)

I have only just recently got back into the Amiga and decided to do a bit of programming to see how much I forgot :)

Anyway, I went away and did a few time tests on some of the standard AMOS commands and functions before I started a new project. Unfortunately, AMOS in itself was just not up to it speed-wise. Then I got into the AMOS assember a little and figured out how much time I could save by just including a few machine code instructions to move the display and the graphics around. Well, the results speak for themselves. I have managed to get all the graphics rendered in less than 1 VBL! on a bog standard A500 (50fps PAL)

O.K. things will start to slow down a little once I have got everything else in there including a proper map. It currently just wraps around.

Anyway, thanks for your comments people and dont forget I need some 'jolly tunes' for the music.

Toodle pip!

Regards, KevG.

p.s. Its amazing what you can do with just 14 colors when you put your mind to it.

rigardie_gr 02 January 2009 23:23

thanks sir

Hungry Horace 02 January 2009 23:42

great to see AMOS still holding-out KevG - nice one ;)

i'm sure i know of a few people on AMOS Factory who would love to see your work (or hell, even the source code!) if you are willing to share ;)

thgill 03 January 2009 00:57

Tried it on my A1200 and it runs like a champ.

Are you planning on staying with Sonic, or is it just place holder graphics for your demo?

Samurai_Crow 03 January 2009 01:34

I can write a tune or so in MilkyTracker that will be in ProTracker format. Oddly, even though I don't have a job, I'm about as low on time as you might be.

s2325 03 January 2009 01:40

1 Attachment(s)
made with Milky Tracker:

TCD 03 January 2009 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 494643)
made with Milky Tracker:

Nice one s2325 :great Though I don't know if I would call it jolly ;) (it's really good, don't get me wrong :))

rkauer 03 January 2009 05:42

Congratulations, KevG!

I hope have the patience to evolve this project.

I saw a 1:1 Sonic port last year. It even has a thread on the other Amiga forum, with 3 versions for download. Pretty sluggish, if you ask. And bad scrolling/playability. The only good thing is it was HD-installable.

50fps? On a naked A500? That's a game I must have!:great

ami_junkie 03 January 2009 05:55

hi mate, i used to write loads of mods back in the days, just getting my a1200 setup again so i would be interested in writing some tunes, just to give u an idea these are some tunes that i had written about 10 years ago unfortunately they are in mp3 format.

Tune 1

Tune 2

Tune 3

Tune 4

Tune 5

Tune 6

I don`t know if these are good enough quality for you, I haven`t let anybody hear these tunes before.

mrodfr 03 January 2009 06:47

Hello,

Welcome on EAB ;-)

BTW a question. Where came the GFX of the game ???

viddi 03 January 2009 09:10

Hi KevG and welcome to the EAB. :)

Wow, your demo looks awesome!
I hope it´ll be a playable full version soon...

I´d like to do some modules for it but I´m too busy atm.
Sorry. :(

BippyM 03 January 2009 09:38

Hi KevG

Well this is certainly an interesting thread, and it has generated a lot of kerfuffle :D

Anyway I think what you are doing is great but I honestly do not see you being able to pull this off in Amos. The only way you'll manage this is if everything is done in pure asm.

I have viewed your demo, and yes it wraps around, but there's no sprites, no music/sfx, no enemies, collision detection and all that other jazz!

Getting this to run at full speed at 50fps with everything included is IMO near impossible.

You need to forget the music for now and actually get a playable sonic game without it, you will need to consider mod size and that for memory/speed purposes but to include it at this early stage is not important.

There's so much you need to do/consider before the music!

I would love for you to prove me wrong though as I always wanted to see that Amiga could do sonic (a500).. AGA machines I am sure could handle it, but again 100% pure asm is the only way!

Good luck my friend and welcome to eab!

TCD 03 January 2009 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkauer (Post 494679)
I saw a 1:1 Sonic port last year. It even has a thread on the other Amiga forum, with 3 versions for download. Pretty sluggish, if you ask. And bad scrolling/playability. The only good thing is it was HD-installable.

Erm, we have our own thread about it here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37509 ;)

KevG 03 January 2009 12:26

Yikes!
I go to bed and wake up to all of these posts!
O.K. here goes.....

To S2325.....
Thanks for the mod but it only has a few pateerns andthey are a little repetitive dont you think?

To Rkauer......
Yes, I have seen those ports only recently. Although very good, I think I can improve on them a little. I think they were developed in 'backbone' which I think is an AMOS engine.

To Ami Junkie......
WOW! Them modules are very good IMO. If you are really interested in doing some modules for me then look at the games, 'Top Secret' 'Soccer Kid' and listen to their title music. This is the sort of thing that I am looking for. The title music can use all 4 voices but the ingame only uses 3. I have a suggestion if I may.... Wait for it.... Girls Aloud! Yes, I would like to do every one of them as well but listen to their music. Their melodies are the sort that make great game music. Simple, jolly, catchy tunes. I think they would sound great in a game. Anyway, I will leave that up to you because I havn't got a clue about music sequencers.

To mrodfr......
I got a Sonic sprite sheet of the net that someone had ripped from the gensis rom. I Had to reduce the colour palette for the Amiga's dual playfied of 2 x 3 bitplanes. It was a headache! But I eventually got a palette which looks very similar to the original game.

To bippym.....
Quote:

Getting this to run at full speed at 50fps with everything included is IMO near impossible.
Now that sounds like a challenge if ever I saw one! :)

Actually, there will only ever be two sprites on the screen at the same time (2 x 15 col hardware sprites) and there is one on there already so it shouldn't be a problem. All the other gfx that are animated are done in the front playfield in the map itself. I am going to try and get animated icons for rings etc by using the blitter in replace mode. That should be fast as there wont be any masks to worry about and I wont have to replace the background regions underneath. Thats the beauty of dual playfield mode, I have a whole bitplane that is transparent.

Anyway, thanks for your comments people. They are very much appreciated. I have an exam on Wednesday so it is revision until then I am afraid. But after that, I will be working on a map editor so that I can get a proper map going in all directions hopefully.

Hopefully, I can keep the frame rate at 50fps. fingers crossed!

Regards, KevG.