English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Humongous mouse pointer (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33936)

Rixa 01 January 2008 17:42

Humongous mouse pointer

When using PAL:High Res Laced, the Low Res mouse pointer is extremely large in regard to everything else. It can be put into High Res mode, but that only shrinks it vertically. I found from Aminet this hack by Nico François, LacePointer.lha (1992-08-15). It effectively laces the pointer, but does not work as expected with a High Res one.

Is there perhaps a newer version of the hack, or some similar utility that would make the pointer a bit more aesthetic to look at at PAL screenmodes?

pintcat 20 September 2010 15:02

Same problem here: Using this with a hires mouse pointer causes a very ugly gfx bug. The documentary also says something about that. Is anyone aware of another hack/patch/trick which is able to make a hires pointer interlaced?

Fabie 20 September 2010 16:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rixa (Post 383172)
When using PAL:High Res Laced, the Low Res mouse pointer is extremely large in regard to everything else. It can be put into High Res mode, but that only shrinks it vertically. I found from Aminet this hack by Nico François, LacePointer.lha (1992-08-15). It effectively laces the pointer, but does not work as expected with a High Res one.

Is there perhaps a newer version of the hack, or some similar utility that would make the pointer a bit more aesthetic to look at at PAL screenmodes?

try this pointer

Rebel-CD32 20 September 2010 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
These are some pointers I made to suit low resolutions, try them out and see if you like any. Just extract them to somewhere and double-click the icons to try each one out.

pintcat 21 September 2010 00:01

@Fabie & Rebel-CD32: Thanx for these very nice looking pointers, I already made a few myself. ;) But sadly they don't solve the problem using a hires pointer in conjunction with interlacing.

Rebel-CD32 21 September 2010 01:28

We compromise when there's no sound solution, as is the case here. The only way you'll get a real high res pointer is in a real high resolution, non-interlaced mode like VGA-Only, Productivity, Multiscan and DBL modes.

pintcat 21 September 2010 01:53

Yes I suspected something like that. Unfortunately, using the Indivision Flicker Fixer, these screen modes aren't supported very well or eat too much chip ram like HighGFX does. So I prefer a comfy screen mode with a chunky looking mouse pointer, rather than the other way. Maybe I'll spend more time on designing a good looking pointer for simple hires mode :) Anyway, thanx guys for your helpful hints!

Rebel-CD32 21 September 2010 03:37

Try running Workbench in HighGFX 1024x768 in 16 colours and run FBlit, you should have plenty of ChipMem left then. Just the smaller size of it makes the low-res mouse pointer a little more tolerable I find.

Rixa 21 September 2010 07:34

I wonder how hard it would possibly be to re-implement LacePointer in a hires-sprite-friendly way. I suppose it's just changing the sprite each redraw.

pintcat 21 September 2010 10:38

Too bad Mr. Francois left the Amiga scene years ago and didn't left any sources. If someone would be able to add this feature he had to start from scratch.
And yes the pointer looks fabulous in HighGFX mode.

TomXP411 30 December 2021 09:53

1 Attachment(s)
This is obviously super out of date, since it's 11 years later, but I had a pointer problem when using WinUAE... the RTG driver shrinks the pointer down to a mini size, no matter what RTG graphic mode I select.

So I sat down and created a 2x pointer. This is simply a 2x copy of the standard mouse pointer.

You will need to get the .pre file to your Amiga in any of the usual ways, then in the Pointers pref, load it from the menu bar (Project -> Load).

johey 31 March 2022 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomXP411 (Post 1524192)
You will need to get the .pre file to your Amiga in any of the usual ways, then in the Pointers pref, load it from the menu bar (Project -> Load).

The zip file seems to only contain a .info icon file, not the image data. Do you possibly still have it?

TomXP411 31 March 2022 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by johey (Post 1538468)
The zip file seems to only contain a .info icon file, not the image data. Do you possibly still have it?

That's weird. I re-zipped and uploaded the file. This one definitely has the .pre and .pre.info files. Just re-download the attachment from the same post.

johey 31 March 2022 13:23

Cool, thanks! Although, I figured out there's a way to double the width and height of the pointer if using Picasso96. Just set the bigsprite tooltype on the driver in devs:monitors. :)