English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Amiga Forever (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Save Game Problem - Specifically Cannon Fodder (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71192)

shovel 22 October 2013 03:56

Save Game Problem - Specifically Cannon Fodder

This has probably been asked before, but I'm new as other posts of mine show too clearly. My game of Cannon Fodder NEEDS to be saved occasionally because if I lose a lot in one mission then I have to start again when I reboot the next time I play. But instead of restarting at say Mission 6, I'm at the beginning of Mission 1. I've tried the old Amiga 500 way that I used to do, but it has to be different on an emulator. I suppose I have to make a blank floppy like I read about with the same problem with AF UAE. Might be the same problem as me but I'm willing to go through the process.

So how do I Save a game please?

TIA

Roger

DH 22 October 2013 14:20

or you could use save state/save snapshot, when you first enter a new mission.

This can be found in WinUAE's properties (F12 during the emulation), under Host/Miscellaneous. You're not exactly saving the game as in modern terms, but it will start you from the exact point at which you save anywhere in the game.

It's easier than using the conventional method of inserting a blank disk + it's a hell of a lot more convenient too.

EDIT 1: Actually, this can be found in the emulation window of AF, options/save snapshot, didn't realise it was there until I investigated, so ignore some of the above.

Edit 2: Right, I have done this with AF so heres a very small tut regarding creating a game save blank floppy:

Quote:

Right click on game name and choose edit and the RP9 Editor will open.
  1. Select the tab Media.
  2. Select any spare drive that has 'none' and choose DD. (Skip this part #2, if there are no spare drives available because they are already being used by the game .adf's, move on to #3 and continue with the rest of the instructions.
  3. Click Add.

Select Create Blank...

4. Type = DD Floppy Disk
  5. File: <name of your choice>
  6. Click OK
Location should = Embedded

Click OK

Click OK

Now you'll have a game save floppy embedded in the RP9 file ready in either the additional floppy drive for the game to use, or selectable via instructions below under the heading 'No Spare Drives'.

No Spare Drives:
Just create the blank floppy skipping #2 above, then when needed, select it through one of the floppy icons (preferably DF0: ) on the emulator window.

EDIT 3: Bearing in mind I'm using an older version of AF (2012.2.3.0.0 Plus Edition) so there may be a slight variation between the versions,

shovel 22 October 2013 15:56

Thought it would be something like that DH. I take it that the DF1: so on is the icons for the drives at the bottom when game is loaded? I have three for Cannon Fodder so they must be the DF1 etc. I think, if I remember, that as the game progresses, I am in DF3:, that being as disc 3 is in use. Not certain if the disc changes means that the DF would change. So do I just select DD in the DF3 slot?

DH 22 October 2013 16:13

If you edit the game you'll find that the game has only 3 disks, which use DF0:/DF1:/DF2:, which means DF3: is free (None) just like in my screenshot, so follow the instructions above but clcik on DF3: and select DD

http://i.imgur.com/tEyaw61.png

You'll probably need to format it through Cannon Fodder, for it to work correctly though.

EDIT: Just tried it myself and it continually crashes, no matter what I do. I have even disabled DF3: and placed the blank floppy into DF0: (When asked) and it still crashes :s

You can also just create the blank floppy without selecting a drive, just make sure you embed it into the RP9, then select it through the floppy icons on the emulator window, no need to add it to DF3: but it still doesn't work, as the Guro Med pops up. Previous post edited to reflect this better method.

shovel 22 October 2013 16:44

That happened to me too, several times. I saved the game and had the usual prompt of inserting blank disc. I did this and it hung until I had the red warning(can't remember the wording( I think you know what I mean. Pressed the left button on mouse and it rebooted the game.

So, after all that, do you now think it would be a waste of time me trying your suggestion seeing as you failed?

Maybe someone else will add a few words on this.

Toni Wilen 22 October 2013 16:48

Not this Cannon Fodder FAQ again :)

Cannon Fodder save disk must be "custom adf" and CF save disk formatter is buggy, it requires 1M chip RAM or it crashes mid format. (Real A500 confirmed)

DH 22 October 2013 17:05

This is a preselected RP9, and is supposed to be pre configured to work with Amiga Forever, guess they haven't done it properly then, anyway, before your post Toni, I have succesfully formatted the disk by using the A1200 2mb ram config and the games seems to work fine.

shovel 22 October 2013 17:05

Toni. Yes, I thought this had been done before but couldn't find it. I fully understand that 512 is the RAM that came with the 500, as I had the real McCoy once and upgraded to 1M. So how do I know what the RAM of the AF for 500 is?

DH 22 October 2013 17:16

right click on the game and edit, go to the tab configuration and do exactly what's shown here to get 1mb chip ram :-

http://i.imgur.com/KoZEhDY.png

Thanks Toni for the heads up with the correct config :) I now have it working with Amiga Forever using the A500 config using the RP9 and the save game disk in DF3: \o/

EDIT: You'd think that for an RP9 game that comes with the Amiga Forever installation, would at least be set up correctly to bloody run, that's why I never really checked despite selecting the A1200 config :s

shovel 22 October 2013 17:40

1 Attachment(s)
DH. You said you had an earlier version. Your Configuration box is slightly different to mine. Big difference is the Screen Clip. I can't slide the Left without the Width cancelling it out. When I've worked out how to send an image I will. I understand the Advanced should be used for this. Is it a screen shot that should be used rather than a select all and save it?

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...382456947Edit: Made a right mess of the image lol but you get the picture

DH 22 October 2013 17:48

Disable that for now, or leave it as it was before ;)

The main things to change are in memory:

Configure Slow: to 512 KB and make sure system rom is the Amiga 1.3

I would have upgraded to the latest, but as I don't use it any more it's not worth it ;)

Edit: Can you select PAL (Default) by any chance, if so, do that

shovel 22 October 2013 19:05

I only have PAL Standard/Maximum and Custom. What if I slide the Memory Fast to 1MB?

DH 22 October 2013 19:46

Fast memory = none
Slow memory = 512 kb

And use PAL/Standard

Then it should work fine

shovel 22 October 2013 19:56

On your head be it:),

Should I still go ahead with your No:2 and 4 posts?

DH 22 October 2013 20:21

Yes, it works fine as I have already created the blank floppy and embedded it within the RP9 into DF3: ;)

So just follow those instructions and you'l be playing it and saving it just like I am now :D been a long time since I played this, despite having other things to do.

EDIT: Please let us know if you do actually get this working, feedback is always nice :)

shovel 22 October 2013 21:28

Slight pause here DH. Before I attempt the steps in 2 and 4 can you put the post in perspective because there is an edit at the bottom referring to quote:

No Spare Drives:
Just create the blank floppy skipping the section described above, then when needed, select it through the floppy icons on the emulator window.

So on the basis of being terribly confused can you please do a step by step course of actions to take, with the instructions you've previously stated so that I am clear on instructions, with NO EDITING after the event lol.

We, or I, WILL get it right in the end.

DH 22 October 2013 21:55

This is specific for Cannon Fodder only ;)

Quote:

Right click on game name and choose edit and the RP9 Editor will open.
  1. Select the tab Media.
  2. Select DF3: and choose DD
  3. Click Add.
Select Create Blank...
  1. Type = DD Floppy Disk
  2. File: <name of your choice>
  3. Click OK
Location should = Embedded

Click OK

Click OK

Now you'll have a game save floppy embedded in the RP9 file ready in the additional floppy drive for the game to use.
http://i.imgur.com/pkQOaaF.png

EDIT: Thankfully I had a friend who could supply me the above image for you :)

EDIT2: ***IMPORTANT*** Don't forget to run the game, and at the main game screen, click on Save and then Format to format the disk correctly for the game, as it requires an extended ADF which will be formatted to 2.1MB.

shovel 23 October 2013 00:33

So far so good.....until. With the Create Blank, what should I call the File? I know you said "name of your choice". Would that be name of the game? If so, if all goes well and it actually works with my config, I take it that I would have to do this same thing with all my games that I would save. One in particular should it arise is Desert Strike. If my theory about the file name being the same as for the game in question, then I'm 99% of the way there.

DH 23 October 2013 01:22

My personal preference would be 'CF_Game_Save' (CF = Cannon Fodder), but anything will do so long as you don't name it the same as any of the game adf's in the RP9 file.

shovel 23 October 2013 01:54

Gawd! I'm so picky. 'CF_Game _Save'. Is that with or without inverted commas? To think that English was my best subject at school. Hope you're still up. You must be a night owl Mod.

Edit: Tried it without the inverted commas. Wouldn't allow because it has to be one of those listed in the box at the end of File with 3 dots in it.