English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Overlay Frame/Picture with LED's? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91723)

Marty2AGA 06 April 2018 21:28

Overlay Frame/Picture with LED's?

Hallo @ll, Hello Toni,

It is possible in WinUAE with overlays to use the Led's light from Winuae (Diskdrive, HDDisk, power).

M.A.M.E use a *.lay XML file in Combination with a Overlay Frame/Picture

This is my Overlay Png from MAME with Green LED's (Diskdrive Turns on -> LED goes on or off, power led too)

https://aeronextedit.files.wordpress...18/04/0000.png

Toni Wilen 07 April 2018 19:41

I am not going to add XML parser just for overlays but some other less painful method should be possible :)

What exactly does it need? Coordinates and color?

Marty2AGA 07 April 2018 20:45

Hello,

That would be great. Yes, I think Coordinates and color should be enough. So, Power Led, DF0 -> DF4, HD? (would that be possible?) and CD? for CD32 and CDTV.

greetings Marty

Toni Wilen 08 April 2018 12:20

What about even simpler solution: each led is separate full size image (same size as overlay), each led file is mainly empty except led image in correct position (relative to original overlay), everything else is transparent, file name is used to find correct led image (df0 led for example would be original-overlay-name_df0.png)

Led off: show main overlay normally.
Led on: any non-transparent part of led image is temporarily copied over main overlay image.

Very simple. No need for annoying coordinate files!

Foebane 08 April 2018 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1233069)
What about even simpler solution: each led is separate full size image (same size as overlay), each led file is mainly empty except led image in correct position (relative to original overlay), everything else is transparent, file name is used to find correct led image (df0 led for example would be original-overlay-name_df0.png)

Led on: any non-transparent part of led image is temporarily copied over main overlay image.

So with the Filter and four drives used there could be as many as five overlays that go over the original? Wouldn't that take a fair amount of Windows memory?

Also, I've heard of Demos or Games that make the Filter rapidly turn on and off randomly during "decrunching" of content: reflecting that in these large transparent overlays could cause havoc with memory allocation, unless there's a simpler way?

Just my two cents on this matter, but then I'm not as experienced in programming such things as you are, Toni. :bowdown

Leandro Jardim 08 April 2018 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1233069)

Could be a good idea, but take care to not end with the ugly scaled graphics solution like in the openMSX leds... Besides that, I like the current WinUAE solution, it's simple and aesthetically perfect. :)

@Marty2AGA: sorry for me being so negative about your suggestion, I love the MAME/WinUAE overlays feature too, and yours example picture is great, too. But funny, some days ago I was just thinking, heck why the openMSX devs doesn't come with some simpler solutions like the WinUAE's one? (Sorry openMSX devs...) ;)

Toni Wilen 08 April 2018 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1233070)
So with the Filter and four drives used there could be as many as five overlays that go over the original? Wouldn't that take a fair amount of Windows memory?

Also, I've heard of Demos or Games that make the Filter rapidly turn on and off randomly during "decrunching" of content: reflecting that in these large transparent overlays could cause havoc with memory allocation, unless there's a simpler way?

Just my two cents on this matter, but then I'm not as experienced in programming such things as you are, Toni. :bowdown

Obviously real internal implementation won't be done that way. It is easy to cut out the actual led image and use it.

Marty2AGA 09 April 2018 07:55

I'm curious how this will be implemented. :)

Toni Wilen 09 April 2018 09:11

Someone needs to create some led overlays first. I won't touch any paint programs :)

Minimum requirements:
- existing overlay
- new df0: overlay
- new power led overlay

Last two must have exact same size as original overlay, must be completely transparent except led graphics.

Marty2AGA 09 April 2018 12:32

3 Attachment(s)
This not a problem but the Size of my overlay is 4k. Because Quality.

The Main Overlay Image

Is the same Overlay Image from the first Post, but in original size. Theme A500 Native with Floppy Drives :)

In the Attaccment are DF0,DF1 and Power.

Toni Wilen 09 April 2018 20:01

Quick test version: (warning: based on first 4.0 beta)

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z

- files must be named <overlay name>_x_led.png> where x = power,df0,df1,df2,df3
- d3d11 mode only
- does not discard transparent space around the leds = wastes memory and GPU bandwidth.

Uses normal alphablending, semitransparent pixels also work as expected.

Marty2AGA 09 April 2018 20:10

Damned :( :crying

Direct3D11.. can i not use. I have Windows7 64 32GB/GTX 970/AMDFX8350 and can Play Direct3D11 games, how StalkerCOP, Crysis3, Dolphin Emu, PSP Emu etc.. without Problems but in your WinUAE pop up the Message i need Direct3D11 KBUpdate and Exit.

Exists in the ini a value to bypass this message?
Otherwise somebody else has to test it.

Toni Wilen 09 April 2018 20:12

Why not install the update? It is small update. WinUAE requires DXGI 1.2, most games probably don't care.
EDIT: D3D9 will be supported but that soon.

Toni Wilen 10 April 2018 21:22

Now led textures are "cut" to smallest possible size internally. Still D3D11 only.

(btw, that update is also available via Windows Update but it is not mandatory update)

malko 10 April 2018 22:53

Heu.... where do we have to save the pictures ?
I have saved them in the WinUAE4b root folder as "default_overlay.png" "default_df0_led.png" "default_df1_led.png" & "default_power_led.png" but nothing is displayed ?

Edit: "dxdiag" indicates v 11

DamienD 10 April 2018 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1233741)
Heu.... where do we have to save the pictures ?

My guess would be in the directory "C:\WinUAE\Plugins\overlays" or similar.

malko 11 April 2018 02:19

Thanks Damien :) .
Did try but no change...
Also checked WinUAE help but don't know if the only page returning a result for "overlay" is related to what is discussed here.
I have seen in the 'Filter' menu that "no overlay available" is always displayed.
Maybe I missed something else in the basic config I setted-up for this test.
But it's late now. Will check again tomorrow.

Toni Wilen 11 April 2018 07:49

Path is correct. "No overlays available" mean you have DirectDraw mode enabled. (Misc panel)

malko 11 April 2018 10:47

Thanks Toni :) .

After changing the "Graphics API" to DX11 in Miscellaneous, now the "default_overlay.png" is available in the Filter menu :great .

Running WinUAE displays a Windows message complaining about a missing KB (the 2670838), then the KS1.3 rom image is displayed but no overlay present. Pressing F12, I see that the "Graphics API" has been reverted to DirectDraw.

So problem here is not WinUAE related.
Last time I updated the windows setup on the Netbook I am using now, it was a pain making the Notebook working again (finally full reinstall from scratch)... so... will stop my test here for the moment as I have no time to "repair" this computer one more time in case of a bad surprise after another KB update... Many different issues after Win7 KB updates on various computers made me suspicious and careful with Win7 updates. Worst one were BSOD :( .

Marty2AGA 14 April 2018 02:56

Here are more Bezel from me. I added now more themes to my Bezel Package :)

If your Update the DX9 part to use Overlay, i update my Bezel Package :) :D

DX11 Offtopic
I know which KB update Winuae needs so that the requester no longer appears. KB2670838 (Names as Evil Update for Gamers) :shocked.
This update has caused me in the past more than often problems with some older games. DX10 and DX11 games that came out before the update.
This update goes deep into the system and changes the DX10 and DX11 subsystem files. It struck me when I wanted to play Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 1 or Stalker Call Of Prypjat (and i activ mod the Stalker Game Serie).
They did not run or freeze. After days of searching and a few tips I uninstalled and suddenly they ran again. But not newer Dx11 games. (DirectX11 not found). Crysis 3 for example crashes. I had this
Now I've configured my Window 7 to run the old and new DX10 / DX11 games.

Sorry Toni but with this update I will not compromise my stable system. I Wait for DX9 :)