English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New production of Competition Pro (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44903)

rodi 21 May 2009 13:51

New production of Competition Pro

With the agreement of Individual Computers, Relec with Voxel Amiga Shop will make totally new joystick Competition Pro for Amiga and the Competition Pro will be available in the month of july 2009 (for 15 Euros)

The origin of the new is here and it's in french :

http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/n...p?storyid=3406

Retro-Nerd 21 May 2009 19:06

It's the second production run of the 2006 Competiton Pro Retro (which is still available in some amiga stores). Not a totally new joystick.

http://icomp.de/news/news139_e.htm

amigakit.com 21 May 2009 21:37

Competition Pro Classic for Amiga is available now from our webstore:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=610

We have invested heavily in this new production run that you have reported.

TCD 21 May 2009 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigakit.com (Post 550702)
We have invested heavily in this new production run that you have reported.

Only one thing to say : :bowdown

Frog 21 May 2009 21:50

It heavily looks like the good old Zipstick.

Good news to see a rear button which i suppose is an autofire.
And i'm suprise by the 2 upper button...

Anyway nice to see such initiative, good luck !

Retro-Nerd 21 May 2009 21:54

No auto-fire. The front switch deactivates the mini buttons. :(

amigakit.com 21 May 2009 21:59

Individual Computers deserves full credit for getting these into production so that we have new joysticks to sell in 2009.

Thanks to Jens :-)

gklinger 21 May 2009 22:10

Does this new model suffer from the same slow polling problem that renders it terribly annoying to use?

amigakit.com 21 May 2009 22:12

No it does not.

Retro-Nerd 21 May 2009 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gklinger (Post 550724)
Does this new model suffer from the same slow polling problem that renders it terribly annoying to use?

You probably mean the PC USB sticks. This CP is for real Amiga or C64 machines. Of course there is no delay.

gklinger 21 May 2009 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 550730)
You probably mean the PC USB sticks.

I did.

Quote:

This CP is for real Amiga or C64 machines.
I overlooked that. Thanks for setting me straight.

It's a real shame about the lag in the USB version because the physical joystick is really great (which bodes well for this model).

prowler 21 May 2009 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gklinger (Post 550761)
It's a real shame about the lag in the USB version because the physical joystick is really great (which bodes well for this model).

Hi gklinger,

I am working on a fix for the USB version, which is likely to be successful, but like everything else I am involved in at the moment, it's taking much longer than I would like.

@Retro-Nerd @TCD

As you see, I have not forgotten this, and I don't intend to.

prowler

Retro-Nerd 21 May 2009 23:20

Yes, the cheap USB chip filters every too fast button hittings and stick movements. :(

gklinger 22 May 2009 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 550766)
I am working on a fix for the USB version, which is likely to be successful, but like everything else I am involved in at the moment, it's taking much longer than I would like.

That's brilliant news. My feeling is always 'better late than never' so thanks for making an effort on everyone's behalf.

TCD 22 May 2009 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 550766)
@Retro-Nerd @TCD

As you see, I have not forgotten this, and I don't intend to.

prowler

Cheers prowler :great Hope you find the time to have a look soon :agree

Amiga1992 23 May 2009 03:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 550709)
It heavily looks like the good old Zipstick.

Sorry man, but the Zipstick was a poor man's copy of the Competition Pro.
So it's absolutely the other way round...

Are you going to produce joysticks in other colours? i don't want to buy these because of the horrid color scheme.

TCD 23 May 2009 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 551061)
i don't want to buy these because of the horrid color scheme.

Right... I usually look at the screen when I play games, but hey when your intertior designer is going to kill you for this, I guess it's not worth the trouble :D

Cammy 24 May 2009 00:43

I'm really upset that I won't be able to take advantage of the extra buttons on the joystick to play 2-button games. All four buttons do exactly the same thing, despite there being a 2-button standard for Amiga controllers since the very beginning (the second firebutton is the same as the second mousebutton), then Commodore made the 2-button CDTV pads, and then the CD32 pads which had both buttons, as well as four more firebuttons and a play/pause/start button. So for many, many years now there has been a 2-button standard for Amiga games to use (even if many opted to only use one button), and many games took advantage of it, yet in 2009 we get a brand new joystick which doesn't support this standard, and is basically a Commodore 64 joystick, not an Amiga joystick. Also, it's useless to use on a Sega Master System, which it wouldn't be if it had supported a second fire button (it has FOUR THAT DO THE SAME THING).

This is a big disappointment, considering all the good hardware that you guys have brought out lately.

Retro-Nerd 24 May 2009 00:51

It's no new joystick but a exact remake of the old classic CP. No more, no less. 80-90% of all Amiga joystick games utilise only one button.

Anyway, a new Amiga joypad would be nice too. More and more WHDLoad games have a second button support these days.

Smiley 24 May 2009 04:51

I still don't get these types of joysticks. How are you meant to use the buttons while you are gripping the stick? You must need the hands of a small thai boy.

Gimme a pad or a Quickshot any day.

Even worse than these was the bug and the konix speedking. They were just silly. :banghead