English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FLATLINE: How The Amiga Languished (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95407)

Toffee 09 December 2018 03:03

FLATLINE: How The Amiga Languished

Don't let the title fool you this is a nice tonic to the AVGN video.

Another high quality video from Ahoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_UZsJUbwQ

Sorry if already posted.

Valken 09 December 2018 09:37

Really good video! Great narration, story writing and yes, agree with everything he said!

Pyromania 09 December 2018 11:40

@Toffee

Thanx so much for the link, watching now.

Foebane 09 December 2018 11:52

I'm thinking maybe the Amiga languished because of the A1000, it should've been an A500 from the start. At least Atari got it right with the ST.

joacim 09 December 2018 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1289761)
I'm thinking maybe the Amiga languished because of the A1000, it should've been an A500 from the start. At least Atari got it right with the ST.

The Amiga "died" because of the mismanagement of Commodore and the competition from the PC market. In theory, they could have become a niche player like Apple is now with the Mac but with the management messing up the company time and time again Commodore never stood a chance and neither did the Amiga.

Foebane 09 December 2018 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by joacim (Post 1289762)
The Amiga "died" because of the mismanagement of Commodore and the competition from the PC market. In theory, they could have become a niche player like Apple is now with the Mac but with the management messing up the company time and time again Commodore never stood a chance and neither did the Amiga.

I'm talking about the original Amiga 1000, at launch. It should've been an A500 or something cheaper then.

The Amiga didn't die, it was successful for a few years and then reached obsolescence, as all electronics do.

Yes, I know about the mismanagement, but the Amiga still achieved the biggest sales it could ever get, even if it was in Europe and not the US.

The Amiga DIDN'T fail, end of. If it had, no-one would remember it, but millions of us DO. HOW is that a FAILURE?

Pyromania 09 December 2018 17:02

I would love to sell the amount of products that the Amiga did. You’re right, millions of sales is a type of success. Many products in today’s world don’t achieve that.

Marle 09 December 2018 17:04

Just to go back to the video (as it's so easy to end up debating again what caused Commodore's/the Amiga's downfall) I thought this was a superbly put together video, which actually had the substance of correct facts behind it too. I've seen a lot of glossy videos in the past which get some things wrong or just don't have much depth but this was probably one of the best videos put together on the subject, seemed to have more of a narrative.

Highly recommended watch, clearly a lot of time was spent on research!

Foebane 09 December 2018 18:25

Ahoy's videos are always great! I loved his videos on Amiga FPS, Doom and Quake, among other game-related ones.

Cherno 09 December 2018 19:50

As said above, another great video by Ahoy but I was a little disappointed that the real end of Commodore and the Amiga was swept aside.

Psiq 09 December 2018 20:53

Great video. Well done!!

Foebane 09 December 2018 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1289853)
As said above, another great video by Ahoy but I was a little disappointed that the real end of Commodore and the Amiga was swept aside.

Ahoy briefly covered it here, from an FPS POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A

If that's not enough, there's always the Nostalgia Nerd's Amiga Story (2 parts).

joacim 10 December 2018 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1289794)
I'm talking about the original Amiga 1000, at launch. It should've been an A500 or something cheaper then.

The Amiga didn't die, it was successful for a few years and then reached obsolescence, as all electronics do.

Yes, I know about the mismanagement, but the Amiga still achieved the biggest sales it could ever get, even if it was in Europe and not the US.

The Amiga DIDN'T fail, end of. If it had, no-one would remember it, but millions of us DO. HOW is that a FAILURE?

I never said it FAILED, did I? :)

The Amiga did indeed make a dent in the universe and had Apple and many others very worried for a number of years but as with BeOS and other interesting platform it was crushed by Microsoft and the PC.

My point is that Commodore failed the Amiga and all it's users and customers, the Amiga didn't fail.

Foebane 10 December 2018 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by joacim (Post 1290020)
I never said it FAILED, did I? :)

I'm not having a go at you, joacim, but I think the Ahoy guy said it failed. I'll have to check again.

hth313 10 December 2018 20:55

It is a great video. It tells a lot of things in depth as well as showing a good understanding of more high level matters. The only pity is that it does not continue into the downfall of Commodore, but that is maybe another story.

The Amiga did not fail, it was a success. When I was at university 1987-1991 (in Europe) it was by far the most popular computer (at home).

In the long run, the Amiga failed to keep ahead and started to fall behind the competition. It was only a matter of time. Perhaps a better run and smaller (cheaper) operation with a focus on certain niche markets could have helped it survive better than it did.

malko 11 December 2018 00:22

Thanks for the linked video :great

Gzegzolka 11 December 2018 01:07

I find this video very interesting.

Neil79 11 December 2018 01:51

One of the best videos i've seen

d4rk3lf 14 December 2018 03:10

As always, his videos are awesome.
But am I the only one that feels that this is just a first part of the video?

The video subject is: How The Amiga Languished.
Yet, he stops suddenly, not even mentioning Team 17, and everything that happens after.
He didn't even mentioned A600, A500+, A3000, A1200... etc.

saimon69 14 December 2018 06:33

@d4rk3lf

As mentioned above, the main scope of the documentary is about the US launch and first two years of the Amiga, in particular the A1000, that was also suspended from production before the rebirth of the line with the 500.

As italian i remember that Amiga 1000 was shown in expos in 1986 with some of the programs now famous like Dpaint and Animator (strangely enough not with music programs) but, as much as i was enthusiastic for the power of the machine, it was giving me a vibe as advanced tool, something not on the league of an high school student video game enthusiast as i was (and the fact they did use slideshows with King Tut, Botticelli and Degas ballerinas did not help) while, as an art school student i thought would be never able to afford one - especially as shown in the expos in the model 1000 with DF1 and monitor.
Even the leaked Amiga Magazine copies available at those expos were mostly showing artwork, but little more.

It did start to provide me the right vibe and to have the right price with the A500.
And was determined to get one!
I had disks with Deluxe Paint and Xenon already like six months before was able to buy my A500!!!