English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Elf (OCEAN) problem (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33032)

Bolch 07 November 2007 21:18

Elf (OCEAN) problem

I'm stuck on the second level of Elf (the Ruins). I already found and gave the flute to the caged guy, and - according to the walkthrough - I should now free him with a larger key which is supposedly found "outside, to the right". I cannot find this key anywhere, however, though I wandered this level for hours. Could anyone show me a map or tell me where could I find this key?

Thanks in advance!

Bolch 08 November 2007 22:59

Okay, I found it finally... Well, it wasn't exactly "to the right", but it doesn't matter now. :)

I completed the second level - only to watch the program crash at the beginning of the third. All versions so far.

Heh, it looks like fate doesn't want me to complete this game, after all...

-Rob- 09 November 2007 09:27

I've uploaded another version to The Zone, try if it works better for you. It also got level skipper.

Retro-Nerd 09 November 2007 11:12

-Rob- is still alive? Nice to read you. :)

Old Fool 10 November 2007 15:05

Yep, I hope one day we'll see a new wonderfull FLASHTRO trainer...

Bolch 10 November 2007 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Rob- (Post 370162)
I've uploaded another version to The Zone, try if it works better for you. It also got level skipper.

Yes, it works indeed! I just finished the whole game with your version and it's flawless. Thank you very much!

I must also tell that I'm constantly amazed by this awesome community. I was - and am - a member on many different boards, but I never found this quantity of selfless helpfulness anywhere else. Since I rediscovered the Amiga (and thus my childhood), I asked for help many times on many different subjects and almost always got it immidiately. This helpfulness extends to almost unbelievable levels (beyond useful advices, links etc, I more than once witnessed that a working cracked version was made for games on request (f.e. Hook)). I'm beginning to feel that many members are disguised djinns. :)

It's good to be here.

Thanks again, Rob!

-Rob- 10 November 2007 23:33

Sure, glad it worked.

MethodGit 16 November 2007 23:19

Speaking of Elf, it's rather aggravating to discover that the solution bundled with the WHDLoad install conspicuously misses out Level 6 altogether. And I recall getting really stuck on that level at one point, being too forgetful to remember how I originally beat it all those years ago. Googling didn't help much either.

Anyone know if a more complete solution for the game exists?

Bolch 16 November 2007 23:53

I didn't find any walkthrough, so I had to figure out level six myself. It was quite straightforward (give the earmuffs to the waiting eskimo, use the blowtorch on the iceblock, attack the wizard with the spell, give the wheels to the old man etc.), but there were two tricky parts:

1. There are some screens which you can only reach with the flying machine. So buy it as soon as you can, than systematically explore the whole map, noting the "NPCs" and picking up objects.
2. If you give your gifts to the Ice King, he will give you an icicle. Then you must attack the waiting eskimo with the icicle to get a vital object from him! (It was perhaps the most unfair puzzle in the game, since the eskimo already helped me and there was absolutely no clue that I have to go back to him again and attack him without any reason...)

All in all, it was a nice game, quite huge and complex for a "simple" platformer. Also, it's a nice touch that you could get three different endings, depending on whether you saved your love or not and how many "cute" creatures you killed during the game...

Dan 17 November 2007 14:42

Is the game doable without cheating ? ^^;

Bolch 17 November 2007 15:13

Well, I didn't use a trainer, but I DID use savestates to finish it. (Not because it was that difficult, simply out of laziness...) :) It's possible to finish it wihout cheating, since you can buy the most powerful weapons even on the first level, there are plenty of extra lives or energy that you can buy, collect or get (after every 100.000 points or so), plus you can save the game after each level. So it's playable.

The most difficult part of the game is that you must differentiate between the "cute" creatures and the enemies and you should try to kill as few cuties as possible. (If you kill too much of them, you will get a very ugly ending instead of the happy one...) :) But don't let it dishearten you, you have to kill hundreds of cuties for the bad ending...

gimbal 19 November 2007 12:54

grrr, I get stuck in the swamp world even (world #3) :( At one point I can't continue and I don't know how to manipulate the switches to get further. If anyone can show me where to get the solution to the first five worlds I would be grateful!

Bolch 19 November 2007 17:08

Here it is:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=h...php%3Fid%3D545

MethodGit 22 November 2007 02:26

Gah, it's the same cursed walkthrough that skips from level five to seven for no inexplicable reason. :crazy

UkeMonkey 05 April 2011 20:53

I've just rediscovered Elf, which I've been enjoying immensely, but I'm stuck too.

After getting stuck on the second level, and scouring the entire area trying to figure out what to do, I resorted to checking the walkthrough which instructed me to:
"travel to the oil well and fill up the oil can lying on the left
of the map."

I'm beginning to suspect that some sort of glitch might have occured, because I'm not seeing an oil can anywhere :/

If by "map" it means the current screen, then it's not there. If it means at the left of the entire level, then I'm not finding it there either.

Phantom 21 February 2012 11:31

I encountered an error using Elf (Ocean) with WhdLoad.

One level four, when you give the gold idol to the indian chief leader the game quits back to Workbench with an Illegal instruction error.

Anyone experienced this?

mai 05 November 2012 19:25

Is someting known about any issue in Level 3 of the "CPY" release?

Pootas1985 19 March 2013 16:36

Hi.Can someone upload working version of the Elf to The Zone?
All the versions that I downloaded are corrupted(crash at the beggining of level 3) ;(
Pretty please

Juless 11 December 2014 10:43

I have completed this game many times many years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 372024)
Is the game doable without cheating ? ^^;

I used to own a copy of this game and I played it on my Amiga many many times. It is doable as it has a save option at each level you can save from F1 across to F7 and load them at opening sequence.
My original disks crashed and I sent them back to Ocean but never received a replacement as game was out of production by then. LOL
Trying to find a complete Amiga Disk File adf at the moment. All the copies I have found crash at the beginning of the water ways one.

Retroplay 11 December 2014 11:30

Try the Flashtro version in the Zone.