English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga emulator on the Xbox 360 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56690)

kipper2k 06 December 2010 22:20

Amiga emulator on the Xbox 360

Yippee,

As the subject says. An Amiga emulator is being released for those fortunate people that have a jtagged Xbox 360 :)

http://lantus360.com/2010/12/06/amiga360-wip-video/

ps, i do have a few jtagged units if anyone is interested)

TCD 06 December 2010 22:28

Somebody tell him it's 'KB', not 'MB' ;)
Looks good :)

seuden 07 December 2010 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 720774)
Yippee,

As the subject says. An Amiga emulator is being released for those fortunate people that have a jtagged Xbox 360 :)

http://lantus360.com/2010/12/06/amiga360-wip-video/

ps, i do have a few jtagged units if anyone is interested)

Nice, emulator!!! Looks great.

/me wishes he had a jtagged 360 :(

Dreedo 07 December 2010 13:01

Have to be careful with hacked 360's, MS can detect users who have hacks and bans them every year in november as a christmas present, they banned a few thousand Xbox users last year, and a couple of people i knew on a forum got theirs banned.

kipper2k 07 December 2010 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreedo (Post 720901)
Have to be careful with hacked 360's, MS can detect users who have hacks and bans them every year in november as a christmas present, they banned a few thousand Xbox users last year, and a couple of people i knew on a forum got theirs banned.

You can't go online with a jtagged box, it will last less than an hour, This year they so far havent done a ban wave. Ther's no guarantees when modding the 360, same as the old xbox1

BrooksterMax 07 December 2010 15:57

If you have modded xboxes, the only true safety is to stay offline away from the MS Mothership. Much risk there is with online gaming :)

Amigafanboi 08 December 2010 12:54

Updating to the latest firmware as soon as it becomes available and making sure every backup copy is stealth patched stops you getting banned.

I've enjoyed nearly 2 years of online gaming on my modified 360.

I'm considering Jtagging it. it would make a wicked XBMC.

Looking forward to this Amiga emulator if i do. :great

alexh 08 December 2010 13:47

I see that it is Lantus, coder who did lots of stuff on the original Xbox.

alexh 08 December 2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigafanboi (Post 721115)
I'm considering Jtagging it.

I didn't think you could once you had updated the firmware beyond Kernel 7371?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigafanboi (Post 721115)
it would make a wicked XBMC.

Again I was under the impression there was no native port of XBMC for 360, just whatever you can build for linux. Which means no hardware acceleration (i.e. too slow to be usable) and no immediate intention of anyone trying to add it to linux?

rare_j 08 December 2010 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 721122)
I see that it is Lantus, coder who did lots of stuff on the original Xbox.

Yes, this makes me think it's time to get a hacked 360. There could be a really good scene kicking off.

th4t1guy 08 December 2010 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 721126)
Again I was under the impression there was no native port of XBMC for 360, just whatever you can build for linux. Which means no hardware acceleration (i.e. too slow to be usable) and no immediate intention of anyone trying to add it to linux?

This is only half true. There are liveCD builds with hardware acceleration, although it's probably easier to use officially supported hardware/motherboard than trying to pick something and get it working yourself. I think some onboard nvidia chipsets work for this. There's also a windows version floating around somewhere.

However, since XBMC is now only supported on a PC platform and it doesn't support DVR functionality, what's the point in even using it anymore?

alexh 08 December 2010 21:55

Which liveCD for the 360 has hardware acceleration? I was pretty sure there are no versions of XBMC which run on PPC Linux for XBOX360 (work well enough to use).

What's the point of using XBMC on PC platform? It was what I intended to use on my HTPC when I build it in the new year. What else is there which performs similar tasks and runs as slick?

DVR functionality is not particularly of interest to the UK (at least to the hardened XBMC user) because everything is available days if not weeks before UK transmission over the air. Plus by not watching/recording live television you don't have to pay a subscription or license.

th4t1guy 08 December 2010 22:29

Sorry, the liveCD I was referring to is PC-only. There is no support for any console platform outside of the original xbox, and even that is dead now I think.

XBMC was an awesome media player....5 years ago. Now there's so many other set-top media player boxes for a fraction of the price of a pc build that you really aren't gaining anything going with it. It has horrible playlist navigation, so using it as a music player becomes tedious, and video player lacks decent support for web content. I will take Netflix and Hulu over Youtube any day.
When it was on the xbox, you at least had access to run xbox games and programs. Porting it to linux just seems pointless IMO.

alexh 08 December 2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by th4t1guy (Post 721231)
There is no support for any console platform outside of the original xbox, and even that is dead now I think.

It is now on a separate fork but it is being developed. In part by a member of this Forum. BuZz.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/

Quote:

XBMC was an awesome media player....5 years ago. Now there's so many other set-top media player boxes for a fraction of the price of a pc build that you really aren't gaining anything going with it.

Any come to mind? Through work I've tried AppleTV (1 & 2) both suck majorly. I've tried Boxee (which uses XBMC) and that is average to poor, WD TV-Live+ and that crashes quite often with the current firmware. All the D-Link boxes and all work but are clunky, poor interface, a few unsupported codecs.

The O!Play HD2 looks interesting... might see if work will buy one... for experimental purposes.

I was going to try and build a HTPC for around £200 and it could double as a games console for most low end PC games but noise has always put me off. Never been able to find the right components to make a silent HTPC for within budget.

Quote:

I will take Netflix and Hulu over Youtube any day.

Never tried either of those two services. Are they free? Available outside the UK?

th4t1guy 08 December 2010 23:58

From what I've seen of AppleTV and Boxee, I didn't think they were that bad, but I haven't used them extensively. It would be nice to have a decent media player on the PS3, since it lacks native support for a bunch of stuff, but you can run a media server to access content over the network and I wouldn't say the UI is that much less usable than XBMC, depending on how your network is setup.

Netflix is a pay service for streaming movies, and Hulu has region restrictions (although you might be able to pass this with a proxy or a pay account). I thought Europe had some kind of commercial streaming service for movies and TV though.

alexh 09 December 2010 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by th4t1guy (Post 721253)
I thought Europe had some kind of commercial streaming service for movies and TV though.

Nothing of any interest that I've come across. Certainly nothing close to viable commercially (i.e. streaming prices lower than Blockbuster)

BuZz 09 December 2010 03:47

xbmc users have iplayer support, and they did have hulu. I know it was working a couple of months ago (usa users only unless you vpn or so), but I've not checked recently. uk users can also use tvcatchup on xbmc.

if you want to watch 1080p x264, then xbmc on some htpc is a decent choice. if you dont care so much about hd, xbmc4xbox on an xbox can be a good cost effective choice still (although if you transcode you can do 720p on an xbox1). the extra stuff such as emulators etc with an xbox is also quite handy (and a lot easier to setup than emulators and frontends etc on a htpc if you are short on time)

th4t1guy 09 December 2010 04:01

Right, but if you're running on an htpc, why not use any of the hundred other programs with more functionality/hardware support/easier to setup/etc.?

The point of xbmc was that it was running on a video game console. I'm not sure what the point of xbmc linux is...

BuZz 09 December 2010 04:12

which programs with more functionality/hardware support etc? XBMC supports linux/osx/windows, has support for tons of streaming protocols including things like encrypted rtmp. includes about 3 different vendors/os hardware video acceleration. has an api for communication. includes powerful scripting using python. has a new addon system for easy installation of extras... i can go on :)

I don't think there is anything even close to it personally. the point of xbmc originally was to have a decent media player. the point wasnt that it was running on a games console. that part was just the means, due to the availability and capabilities of the xbox. of course it makes it easier to develop when the hardware /os is the same, so there is some advantages to that also.

the interface behind xbmc has been copied and replicated on many software devices now, so it just shows that they must have got it right. even the new amiga media center looks like xbmc (albeit with a crap skin (sorry) and 1% of the features).

th4t1guy 09 December 2010 07:04

Yeah, it has support for a bunch of different protocols/formats etc, but that's not really what makes a good HTPC. It still doesn't have DVR, any sort of decent web content browsing, or a really intuitive UI. Setup takes a while, it's high maintenance and very easily broken. At the end of the day, I could just jack up the DPI on windows to something ridiculous, pick a pretentious wallpaper, and use explorer to navigate/view media with a default player and not lose much.