English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Dune intro very slow (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101803)

Bladeforce 17 April 2020 23:30

Dune intro very slow

Hi, Just noticed the dune game intro is very slow the part where its panning out from the planets. All other games seem to be fine speed wise just dune which is odd. Is this a known problem?

Bladeforce 12 December 2020 18:45

Can i bump this please and ask someone to try Dune and when the intro with planets comes on does it go ultra slow?

FOL 14 December 2020 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeforce (Post 1445845)
Can i bump this please and ask someone to try Dune and when the intro with planets comes on does it go ultra slow?

Its normal, I had this game for my 13th birthday. I have played it from HDD on real A500, WHDLoad and all ways. Its exactly the same, panes out slowly.
I just press escape to skip it these days.

DamienD 14 December 2020 17:11

The Dune intro is a nightmare to get working correctly / glitch free in emulation.

Ok, it's WinUAE but see this thread: Dune gfx glitch

From my experience, the planets moving slow is caused by having "Cycle-exact (Full)" ticket.

...and here is how the intro runs:

https://streamable.com/4gwmnr

FOL 14 December 2020 19:22

It happens on real A500, its perfectly normal. In emulation its exactly the same. Its also not a nightmare to get working in Emulation. If not using A500 config, you have to disable CPU caches in ESM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1446222)
The Dune intro is a nightmare to get working correctly / glitch free in emulation.

Ok, it's WinUAE but see this thread: Dune gfx glitch

From my experience, the planets moving slow is caused by having "Cycle-exact (Full)" ticket.

...and here is how the intro runs:

https://streamable.com/4gwmnr

DamienD 14 December 2020 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1446248)
It happens on real A500, its perfectly normal. In emulation its exactly the same.

It's hard to know what Bladeforce means without seeing a video.

Hence why I posted one with everything running well.

There's a problem if his experience differs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1446248)
Its also not a nightmare to get working in Emulation. If not using A500 config, you have to disable CPU caches in ESM.

It will work in emulation but getting the intro glitch free requires the settings I posted in that thread.

Also, not talking about the WHDLoad version as it's probably fixed the small issues, but the floppy and native install.

FOL 14 December 2020 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1446261)
Also, not talking about the WHDLoad version as it's probably fixed the small issues, but the floppy and native install.

Purist here. I have only ever played it from HDD via standard install.
I find disabling CPU caches and not running setpatch fixes glitches on A1200. Even in Emulation.

Bladeforce 24 December 2020 22:28

Hello, Sorry for the late reply. Yes it is at the intro where the planet spans out. The WHDload version works fine in my OS4 install but this is just using the standard fs-uae

DamienD 25 December 2020 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeforce (Post 1448243)
Hello, Sorry for the late reply. Yes it is at the intro where the planet spans out. The WHDload version works fine in my OS4 install but this is just using the standard fs-uae

I've never tried the WHDLoad version so can't comment.

Can you try the floppy disk or a native install?

Edit: just tested the WHDLoad version in my ClassicWB Lite 3.1 .HDF and no issues.

Bladeforce 27 December 2020 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1448345)
I've never tried the WHDLoad version so can't comment.

Can you try the floppy disk or a native install?

Edit: just tested the WHDLoad version in my ClassicWB Lite 3.1 .HDF and no issues.

Hello, the slowdown just appears with the floppy image when using fs-uae and invoking the adf from the config file.
I see about the cpu setting you are mentioning above but i see no comparable option for the fs-uae config file

FrodeSolheim 28 December 2020 17:08

Based on what FOL said about real A500, presumably the intro runs a bit slow in places simply because the game isn't coded to handle smooth animation on a stock A500 in those places. A500 cycle exact configuration of course tries to mirror real hardware.

By using an A1200 model instead, you'll get more horsepower to run the intro, but I tested that and noticed some glitches (as DamienD also mentioned). Using immediate blits (as suggested in the thread linked by DamienD) seems to fix or improve that, though I haven't done thorough testing. You can enable this by adding

Code:

uae_immediate_blits = true
in the custom configuration dialog or manually to an .fs-uae config file.

Bladeforce 28 December 2020 17:53

Many thanks for the help Damien, Frode and FOL

I have changed the config file to an A1200 and added the line

"uae_immediate_blits = true"

Apart from this error when starting at the bottom of the screen

"Immediate blitter and waiting blits cant be enabled simultaneously"

The intro now works flawlessly

Thanks very much!

DamienD 28 December 2020 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeforce (Post 1449070)
"Immediate blitter and waiting blits cant be enabled simultaneously"

Yes, you cannot have both... in WinUAE if you have "Wait for Blitter" and then select "Immediate Blitter", "Wait for Blitter" gets disabled.

I've never used FS-UAE but there must be a line for "Wait for Blitter"?

Looking at Frode's example, I'd hazard a guess:

Code:

uae_waiting_blits = true
Set this to "false" ;)

FrodeSolheim 28 December 2020 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1449113)
Yes, you cannot have both... in WinUAE if you have "Wait for Blitter" and then select "Immediate Blitter", "Wait for Blitter" gets disabled.

I've never used FS-UAE but there must be a line for "Wait for Blitter"?

Looking at Frode's example, I'd hazard a guess:

Code:

uae_waiting_blits = true
Set this to "false" ;)

Ah, yes, you're right. Waiting blits are actually automatically disabled, but I didn't see the warning in the dev version I'm running ATM :)

There is indeed an uae_waiting_blits option, so by adding both you should avoid the warning:

Code:

uae_waiting_blits = disabled

(Note that uae_waiting_blits have several valid values, and the option to turn it off is disabled)

Bladeforce 29 December 2020 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1449117)
Ah, yes, you're right. Waiting blits are actually automatically disabled, but I didn't see the warning in the dev version I'm running ATM :)

There is indeed an uae_waiting_blits option, so by adding both you should avoid the warning:

Code:

uae_waiting_blits = disabled

(Note that uae_waiting_blits have several valid values, and the option to turn it off is disabled)

Worked a treat. May i thank you kind people for helping an old amiga junkie very happy!
:great