English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Slow-paced Amiga games. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105275)

Fenris 05 January 2021 22:41

Slow-paced Amiga games.

Hi folks,

as per title, what you think about slow-paced amiga games still worth giving a shot today?
What I mean when I mention slow-paced?
Well, let's say strategy/rpgs/adventures/everything that is not side scrolling or action platformer.

I will mention a few among my favourites (I won't be mentioning obvious choises like Monkey Island or Fate of Atlantis and so on :D) :
- Powermonger
- Dune
- Populous II
- The Settlers
- Transarctica ? Love the artwork but I didn't grab the whole concept yet :D
- Ishar series
- Heimdall II
- Theme Park
- Ufo Enemy Unknown
- Sabre Team
- Graphic adventures in general, which I believe they deserve a separate post.

Else?

gimbal 06 January 2021 02:03

Hm there are so many obvious choices (Dungeon Master for example), let me try and dig up less obvious ones.

I like Super Skweek. It's a pretty relaxing paint everything game with mild puzzle elements that is generally not too hard if you don't run around willy nilly.

The Valhalla trilogy would be another choice. The first one has pretty wonky puzzles and an annoying amount of pits you can fall into but the second and third games are a lot better in the design. Valhalla 2 is a personal Amiga favorite of mine, I spent ages trying to complete that game. And I eventually did, without the help of the internet available to me. That felt like quite a victory.

It Came from the Desert perhaps? Most if not all Cinemaware games will fit the "slow paced" criteria.

chip 06 January 2021 02:05

For the atmosphere i would play Ween The Prophecy :)

kremiso 06 January 2021 02:56

Cadaver, Millennium 2.2 and Deuteros should fit

Gordon 06 January 2021 12:03

Do you like football? If so there are many football manager games available

-Acid- 06 January 2021 13:38

I've never played the Amiga version but surely Sim City should get a look in

Fenris 06 January 2021 14:16

Ween the Prophecy, love that one, I should still have the original box and floppies somewhere :)
Not much into fotball myself.
It came from the desert, haven't played this one yet, after so many decades lol, definitely worth a try.

The Sim series are quite good, although I've never get into Sim Earth for example.

I've also found Genesia (or Ultimate Domain) quite interesting, tho after few turns things tend to overcomplicate themselves, and there's a lot of micromanagement, but overall I'd say it's a good choice.

meynaf 06 January 2021 14:38

I would say Ambermoon, Amberstar, Civilization, Colonization, Dragonflight, Legacy of Sorasil, Lords of the Realm, Tower of Babel, Valhalla series.

Superman 06 January 2021 14:54

Utopia

khph_re 06 January 2021 15:19

Battle Isle/History line
Eye of the Beholder
Sim City 1.3 (the 64 colour version)
Jimmy White snooker
Mercenary
Elvira
K240
Epic
Battle Chess
Shadow lands
Dune 2
Star Flight 2
Megalomania
Caesar
Pirates!
A-Train
Supremacy

d4rk3lf 06 January 2021 16:21

UFO Enemy Unknown
At 68000, it's slow as it gets. :)

Amiga4000 06 January 2021 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1451249)
UFO Enemy Unknown
At 68000, it's slow as it gets. :)

:laughing:laughing:laughing

I like the new game Vegetables..... :)

Twiggy 06 January 2021 18:13

Laser Squad perhaps?

Fiery Phoenix 07 January 2021 02:27

A-Train

Slow paced action game (one of my all time faves) Treasure Trap

Amiga4000 07 January 2021 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix (Post 1451363)
A-Train

I've been meaning to play A-Train forever! ;)

4pLaY 07 January 2021 07:11

If you enjoyed Settlers, you will probably like the Foundation games.

dreamkatcha 07 January 2021 10:49

How many action games can you name that you'd expect to be faster, yet aren't? Excluding platformers and sidescrollers (as per the original post), my first suggestion goes to Rambo III. That's mostly top-ish-down and treacle-treadingly stodgy.

DDNI 07 January 2021 11:22

All of the Mercenary series from Novagen (including Damocles). Loved those games.

Fiery Phoenix 07 January 2021 11:58

Castle Master too (and similar games)

Fenris 07 January 2021 12:08

There are several "slower-paced" action games too, as it has been pointed out, I'd say probably Flashback is one of those.
Also, Desert Strike, I can't say that this is a fast-paced game (and I love it).

Let's say that mostly I'm trying to identify valuable strategy/managing games for Amiga, where in general there are much more options for PC, obviously, I'm not taking modern games into account :)