English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sloppy Mouse Cursor :-( (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13316)

Mister Szukon 18 April 2004 01:50

Sloppy Mouse Cursor :-(

My Mouse Cursor is working a little bit sloppy under WinUAE, ever since Toni has rewritten Mouse handling code for DirectInput.

The problem is, that there is a delay of about 0,1 second between moving my mouse and the reaction on the screen. Of course, it's not my mouse's problem as it doesn't happen under Windows (WinXP, USB Mouse, Standard Windows Drivers).

Changing the Mouse Speed option does change the pointer speed, but the delays are still there.

Toni, would it be possible to select between the old and the new code? Or perhaps you could fix the current problem? I'd really appreciate that because WinUAE is nearly perfect, but this one bug makes it very hard to use (at least for me).

Toni Wilen 18 April 2004 09:23

I don't see any delays but you can enable old mouse mode by using input-tab.

Select custom configuration, disable "Mouse *" and enable "Windows Mouse" (enabled = checkbox next to device name is checked)

DirectInput is used by default because only it can support >3 buttons and other extra mouse features.

Latest WinUAE's readme.txt has more information about mouse handling.

Mister Szukon 19 April 2004 01:51

great!

Thanx, Toni! This has fixed the problem!

I will investigate further if the delays are my configuration-specific or not. There is also a possibility that you simply don't notice it because delays are really small... You might try changing input from DirectInput to standard Windows Mouse Input in UAE to try to see the difference.

Greetings and sorry for not reading the docs careful enough. 8-)

Toni Wilen 19 April 2004 12:32

I have looked at the mouse control more closely than you can ever imagine... (Hi andreas :) )

andreas 19 April 2004 22:50

hehe

*impish grin* :D:D

Leo 24 April 2004 00:38

I also got big mouse lags here. Using old mouse mode as you stated won't change anything :/

It seems to not happen on WB/Picasso96 mode (maybe the input/mouse under AmigaOS has something to do about it) but on normal AGA/OCS, mouse lags a lot: this makes any breakout game unplayable :/

No such problem under WindowsXP...

Any idea ?

Leo.

PS: the probem seem to happen in older versions of WinUAE as well...

Ralph Wiggum 26 April 2004 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Select custom configuration, disable "Mouse *" and enable "Windows Mouse" (enabled = checkbox next to device name is checked)

Thanks a lot! I had the same problem with a soggy mousefeeling before. Disabling "Mouse *" fixed the problem :great

VermillioN 24 July 2004 17:39

I've started using winuae a few days ago after a long while and are getting a .2 second lag with the mouse and possibly the keyboard aswell. I've built a new PC since the last time I used winuae and from what I remember this lag was not present. Switching between mouse & windows mouse makes no difference and yes it seems this problem doesn't exist when using picasso modes. I even fired up one of my dusty a500's to make sure winuae was lagging.. and it is. This is a serious pain in the ass, what could possibly be causing it?

Toni Wilen 24 July 2004 17:58

Try setting priority to "Below normal"

VermillioN 25 July 2004 08:54

No difference :(

Asterix 26 July 2004 17:26

perhaps post a bit more about your system-config (what system/ mouse/ drivers/ others).
maybe its a driver-problem :confused

VermillioN 27 July 2004 09:13

ok why not :p

Abit IC-7 mobo
Intel P4 2.6C @3.3
Radeon 9800XT 256
Corsair 512MB @ 500Mhz
WinXP SP2
Standard MS Intellimouse Optical

All latest drivers already installed, latest abit bios..

I even tried hooking the mouse through PS2 but made no diff..

btw..sorry to be a pain in the ass toni as I know u must be snowed under with all the work of the upcoming winuae release..

And a couple of config which may be relevant:

Toni Wilen 27 July 2004 09:25

XP SP2? Does it happen without SP2? SP2 is still in beta.. Of course I don't have any problems with latest public SP2 build but that doesn't mean anything :)

VermillioN 27 July 2004 10:10

Nop I first noticed the lag when I fired it up a while before installing the SP2 cd

VermillioN 01 August 2004 04:23

Ok I can now confirm this lag is because I'm running winuae in 720x576x16 @50. Any other resolution results in low cpu usage and no lag, but of course crappy scrolling and fast sound. 720x576 seems to be the only res I can run in 50hz and have a faithful amiga reproduction.. (that sounded funny..), but the only res where the mouse lags :guru

VermillioN 02 August 2004 05:20

Tried the new version of winuae today. Lots of lovely new features.. kikass :)
Still getting the mouse lag tho..

k so in short:

-any resolution using 50/100hz and vsync results in mouse lag. cpu sits on 100%
-any resolution using 60/70/85hz etc results in no lag. cpu sits on around 5% but of course yechy scrolling

surely there are other users who use 50hz + vsync that don't experiance lag :confused

Toni Wilen 02 August 2004 16:15

Unfortunately most (all?) display drivers busywait while waiting for vsync.

I think it could be possible to fix this by separating display and input handling in separate threads but it would make things much more complex..

VermillioN 03 August 2004 05:42

Ok well I guess the question is whether it's worth it or not. Well considering vsync is the only way to enforce perfect timing/scrolling.. (or am I wrong..).. c'mon toni - consider it a challenge ;) Your coding skills are elite I know u can do it hehe.
Seriously though as so many users surely utilise vsync, and that most display drivers busywait I'm surprised the lag issue has hardly been addressed by ppl at all. Well on this forum anyway. Not even andreas ;) where is he when I need him..

Toni Wilen 03 August 2004 16:52

I booted to WB 1.3 with VSync enabled and I didn't see anything wrong with mouse movement. I even tried switching quickly between vsync and non-vsync.

I guess it is another driver or Windows "feature"..

VermillioN 03 August 2004 20:42

ok well this is strange.. thought I'd try running a 50hz mode 'without' vsync checked thinking it would result in poor scrolling - cpu has drastically dropped, the lag is no more and vsync for some reason is still enabled as scrolling is as fluid as it ever could be.. wierd
thats ok though coz IT WORKZ! :D