English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking forward to the Vampire 4? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96000)

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 1299913)
Standalone will give you a chance to buy a new Amiga instead of Windows PC.

To do what? work on the Workbench while watching a TV in streaming or working on Office while doing a rendering, we are objectives and we look at today's reality :)

grond 24 January 2019 10:13

WinUAE may be faster and, as it is more mature, more compatible at the time being, however, the WinUAE uses JIT to reach its incredible speed which means that a lot of things will behave non-linearly. The 080-CPU of the Vampire, on the other hand, is a real CPU directly executing 68k code without a big translation layer running in a big operating system to then execute AmigaOS and thus gives a more accurate overall AmigaOS experience. This may sound slightly esoteric but it is my personal perception. Furthermore, with WinUAE you will always be bound to Windows's screenmodes which will almost certainly not be 50 Hz modes while the Vampire can output 50 Hz digital graphics modes. This alone will make playing games a better experience on the Vampire because you can avoid the microstutter this way.

Taylan Can 24 January 2019 10:19

Availability:

Apollo Team expects first batch of Vampire V4 to be available in Q4’17. An official ETA will be announced once first batch order is processed at factory.

hopeless waiting....

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 10:22

Yes grond, theoretically it should be like that, but at the moment the less potential, less compatibility and its cost makes WinUAE prefer that he too has a "daily" flow
Can not a modern computer have performance of 30 years ago and be less than an emulation, no modern computer has lower performance than its emulator :shocked

grond 24 January 2019 10:33

Well, it just comes down to personal preferences. To me UAE (I don't run Windows) is a very useful tool. I can use it to write code in a computer that doesn't need rebooting each time my code crashes and that doesn't corrupt my harddisk while crashing. Once the code does what I expect it to do, I can test the program on the real Amiga and see whether it does the same as in UAE. Very comfortable and probably the way most people write code for Amiga these days.

However, I just don't want to use UAE for anything else. It just doesn't feel Amiga to me other than showing the horrible limitations of 30 years old software. It doesn't smell like an Amiga, it doesn't look like an Amiga, it doesn't behave like an Amiga, it doesn't click like an Amiga, it doesn't feel like an Amiga when typing etc. etc.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that UAE just doesn't meet my personal preferences.

ShK 24 January 2019 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1299915)
To do what?

e.g take your Amiga with you to LAN parties and do an amiga things with your Amiga.

http://www.apollo-core.com/gfx/V4SA_1.jpg

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1299922)
However, I just don't want to use UAE for anything else. It just doesn't feel Amiga to me other than showing the horrible limitations of 30 years old software.

UAE is not WinUAE, you should try it instead, if you love AmigaOS you will be at home. I have so many Amigas A4000/060 A1200/060, A600HD, A500Plus, A500, CD32 SX32 i have not used for 25 years, but I use WinUAE daily, for me it is the fastest and most performing Amiga ever.

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 1299924)
e.g take your Amiga with you to LAN parties and do an amiga things with your Amiga.

Yes, I take my AfA-OS to a PenDrive and start it anywhere on any computer, I can also bring coffin from me reconfigured, see video :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5XaU77f8eg

https://youtu.be/0mqJtNg3KKs

ShK 24 January 2019 10:51

Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators. Not even of the traditional accelerator boards, but about the something new which is coming.

grond 24 January 2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1299926)
UAE is not WinUAE, you should try it instead, if you love AmigaOS you will be at home.

There is nothing that would EVER make me consider buying Windows. No WinUAE for me.

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 1299928)
Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators. Not even of the traditional accelerator boards, but about the something new which is coming.

I just replied, pity that with those who love vampire you can never discuss :blased

grond 24 January 2019 11:02

Well, we all understood your point and assume you understand ours. If not, there is no need to discuss further. If yes, we simply agree to disagree. It is that simple. There is no one-size-fits-all-Amiga. Neither the Vampire nor UAE will satisfy each and everyone's Amiga needs.

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 1299928)
Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators.

The Vampire if it is not very different from an Emulator, since it starts more OS and uses a similar strategy to the emulator ;)

ShK 24 January 2019 11:53

Do not get me wrong, I really like WinUAE. I have even supported WinUAE development with a PayPal donation, but I find this discussion totally off-topic.

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 12:04

The discussion is civil, everything can be useful for information, I think this was appreciated by those who had some doubt or little knowledge.

Daedalus 24 January 2019 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 1299940)
Do not get me wrong, I really like WinUAE. I have even supported WinUAE development with a PayPal donation, but I find this discussion totally off-topic.

But you raised a point that deserves to be answered. In what way would a standalone be a substitute for a new PC?

grond 24 January 2019 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1299947)
But you raised a point that deserves to be answered. In what way would a standalone be a substitute for a new PC?

He didn't say that. He said that you will be able to buy a new Amiga (=V4) and not buy a Windows PC instead which you would need to run WinUAE. Obviously the mere idea that people do not own Windows PCs seems unthinkable to some.

Daedalus 24 January 2019 12:30

But that's exactly what he is saying, that the stand-alone will mean some people won't have to buy a windows PC. I'm well aware that there are many people who don't own Windows PCs. I'm also aware that UAE variants are available for almost every computing device out there. It seems very strange to consider the possibility that someone would buy a windows PC exclusively to run WinUAE.

AMIGASYSTEM 24 January 2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1299948)
Obviously the mere idea that people do not own Windows PCs seems unthinkable to some.

If 90% of the world's people use it there will be a reason, I know and use many OS but Windows is the only one that offers me and satisfies my needs

grond 24 January 2019 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1299949)
But that's exactly what he is saying, that the stand-alone will mean some people won't have to buy a windows PC.

What's there not to understand? I don't own a Windows PC. However, I do own a PC that suits all my daily computing needs and that is NEITHER a Windows PC NOR an Amiga. To run WinUAE I would have to either buy Windows or a Windows PC. Buying a V4 to do Amiga things (and very fast at that) is an alternative to having to get a Windows PC. This is not the same as saying that the V4 will make ANY type of modern PC superfluous.

Are you getting it now or are you just here to troll another Vampire-related thread?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.06030 seconds with 11 queries