English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   C64: Shadow of the Beast (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100820)

sandruzzo 09 February 2020 14:24

C64: Shadow of the Beast

Amazing conversion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBqUFlzPlw

malko 10 February 2020 00:54

Never seen it before.
Simply : Whaou :shocked :great !!! and the music is also amazing :) :spin

ransom1122 10 February 2020 00:57

It's just the Euro version.

BarryB 10 February 2020 01:09

It was Cartridge only as well!

Hewitson 10 February 2020 02:25

Yes, it wasn't a bad conversion. Certainly has one of the best examples of parallax I've seen in 64 games.

lmimmfn 10 February 2020 02:33

Well that's pretty damn impressive for a C64

sandruzzo 10 February 2020 18:44

This make me think: Are we sure that all possible power was squeezed out of Amiga?

Bren McGuire 10 February 2020 19:01

The Atari Lynx port was better, even better than the Amiga version because it was actually playable!

saimon69 10 February 2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren McGuire (Post 1377867)
The Atari Lynx port was better, even better than the Amiga version because it was actually playable!

I remember most of SOTB playability problems were conceptual: lot of dead ends and unclear paths together with very limited lifespan and way to replenish it; was that improved on the Lynx?

malko 10 February 2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren McGuire (Post 1377867)

So many bad players in the Amiga community. Really ? :D

This game is more than perfectly playable. Have a look at last year's "Round 4" ("Round 8" (Beast II), or this year "Round 1" (Beast III))

I would bet that people got so much impressed by the gfx & musics of the 1st one that they lost all their gaming competencies ;) .

dreadnought 10 February 2020 21:14

SOTB is playable but personally I find its basic gameplay so tedious that I couldn't ever be bothered with trying harder and getting anywhere past the initial few minutes (that's even before I encountered the other poor design decisions such as the aforementioned dead ends).

I only mean the original, perhaps things changed for the better in the sequels. But overall it's one of these Amiga games (like Agony or DotC) where the gameplay definitely has suffered because of fx being the priority.

d4rk3lf 11 February 2020 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadnought (Post 1377905)
I only mean the original, perhaps things changed for the better in the sequels. But overall it's one of these Amiga games (like Agony or DotC) where the gameplay definitely has suffered because of fx being the priority.

Don't know about 1 or 2 (I also played them rarely), but 3 is masterpiece for me. So cool quests, and very nice gameplay.
I am at the last level (4), and good thing you reminded me, so I try and finish it.

sandruzzo 11 February 2020 02:04

Beast 2 Was far superior than 1 and 3. atmosphere, feeling, music, so immersive, even gfx was quiet good, and it served game play very well

Nova 11 February 2020 11:07

i fall for beast 2 for the same reasons you do. perhaps not as brilliant in graphics as beast 1, but the overall atmosphere is simply amazing. i still remember being completely stunned by the intro and its dark ambient vision.

only drawback is the character sprite, i missed the little goatwarrior ;)

@bren: you are right, the lynx version is really great. i used to own the master system version which i played on my ggear.

i wonder about your opinions on the fm-towns or pc-engine version.

sandruzzo 11 February 2020 11:12

About music no one can match Amigas' version, and I think gfx too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BltSvKMlQ

Steril707 11 February 2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1377859)
This make me think: Are we sure that all possible power was squeezed out of Amiga?

Talking about OCS: Hmm, yes, it's quite squeezed out.

It's just that the C64s tile like character mode can animate stuff very cheaply compared to the Amiga, which gave the C64 a lot more room to grow over the years. This, plus some quirks to exploit they found over the years in its chipset.

Anubis 11 February 2020 12:52

I still fail to grasp why is this game so popular?! :sad :shocked

d4rk3lf 11 February 2020 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1378027)

Parallax + pretty early release on the scene.
From what I read (mostly here), when SOTB 1 appeared on Amiga (1989), there's simply nothing (graphically) even close to that.
Many computer shops used that as an advantage, and displayed intro on the screen in the shops.

Now, you can imagine bunch of kids in 1989, looking on screen with big eyes, in envy, in some Amiga shop. :)

https://image.shutterstock.com/image...1127630783.jpg

capehorn 11 February 2020 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1378027)

It has some of the best audio and graphics on the Amiga, and certainly the best audio and graphics of it's time on release. 31 years have passed and I still absolutely LOVE the way it looks and sounds. You can criticize the gameplay, but I (and many others) enjoy it.

I continue to believe that had it offered easy and medium difficulties (20 and 16 hit points) as opposed to just hard (12 hit points), most of the criticism wouldn't exist.

Steril707 11 February 2020 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1378058)
Now, you can imagine bunch of kids in 1989, looking on screen with big eyes, in envy, in some Amiga shop. :)

I remember exactly this situation in a local Amiga shop on a saturday, in 1989, when someone had the cracked games disk with him, and was showing all the guys including me there the game..

Everybody went like apeshit crazy.

It was like the first time a non arcade game looked like that and it was one of those magical "wow, so THAT'S the Amiga"-moments of the early days.