English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Amiga 4000 3.1.4 GURU 80000004/80000005/8000000B at boot (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100672)

mousehouse 31 January 2020 10:40

Amiga 4000 3.1.4 GURU 80000004/80000005/8000000B at boot
 
Hi all,

The following has me puzzled and confused for many months now.

I have an A4000 that GURUs at boot all the time. Sometimes it takes 20+ reboots to make it to the Workbench.

A4000 with 2MB chip and 16MB fast
original 3.1.4 ROMs
WarpEngine 4040
SCSI2SD v5.1 with two 1GB "disks" (FFS)
Ariadne2 network card with Roadshow IP stack (1.13)

Install is a clean 3.1.4 install, nothing weird.

Sometimes the machine will go straight to Workbench without issues. If it does that it runs quite stable for many hours. If not then forget about it, it will play bad for many boots to come.

I've added the 68040.library from both the WarpEngine disk as well as the library from Mu680x0Libs.lha from Aminet (Babel's version) to LIBS, same result.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

gulliver 31 January 2020 13:37

An FPU related issue by the guru numbers.

Thomas Richter 31 January 2020 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousehouse (Post 1375500)
Sometimes the machine will go straight to Workbench without issues. If it does that it runs quite stable for many hours. If not then forget about it, it will play bad for many boots to come.

Without looking at the startup-sequence, it is hard to say. Memory problems, power supply problems, to give some ideas.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mousehouse (Post 1375500)
I've added the 68040.library from both the WarpEngine disk as well as the library from Mu680x0Libs.lha from Aminet (Babel's version) to LIBS, same result.

I wouldn't know that there are "versions" of my library. There should be only one. "version 68040.library" will tell you.




Quote:

Originally Posted by mousehouse (Post 1375500)
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Insufficient information, I afraid.

mousehouse 02 February 2020 11:57

Hi all,

Thank you for having a look. I'n done a clean install of 3.1.4 with the same result. The machine is now without any cards.

68040.library from WarpEngine disk: version 37.30 43888 bytes
68040.library from Mu680x0Libs.lha: version 37.30 43924 bytes

S:Startup-Sequence (stock 3.1.4), see screenshots attached.

http://www.netnova.nl/amiga/posts/IMG_2227.jpeg

http://www.netnova.nl/amiga/posts/IMG_2228.jpeg

Jope 02 February 2020 14:02

When taking version numbers of the libs, just to be sure, say:

version data:warpsoftware/libs/68040.library file
and
version data:mu680x0libs/libs/68040.library file

Kin Hell 04 February 2020 16:54

have you tried the Libs from here?

http://phase5.a1k.org/index.html

trixster 04 February 2020 19:25

If you’re using mmulibs then you need 680x0.library as well as the cpu library

Thomas Richter 05 February 2020 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixster (Post 1376555)
If you’re using mmulibs then you need 680x0.library as well as the cpu library

Err, sorry, no. It is an optional library with some features to control the FPU and its exception processing, but it is certainly not required for 3.1.4. What is required, though, is the mmu.library in LIBS:

trixster 05 February 2020 20:38

My mistake, I stand corrected

mousehouse 07 February 2020 23:19

1 Attachment(s)
OK this has been driving me crazy for a very long time and I'm really happy with your help!

I've gone back to basics. Formatted drive again and reinstalled the machine using 3.1.4 without any boards installed. Then ran a memory test (Memcheck12), no errors. Machine still has only the WarpEngine 4040 with 128MB and a SCSI2SD5.1.

Then looked through all my install disks and tried all different 68040 libraries that I could find. Funnily, the last one seems to run stable. At least the 20 or so cold and warm boots have not failed a single time, and I have yet to see a GURU.

See screenshot... I've taken "68040new.library" from the Phase5 archives and used that as "68040.library" on the machine.

Kin Hell 08 February 2020 11:18

Good 0ld Phase 5, huh! :D

mousehouse 08 February 2020 11:20

More weirdness... I have an IDE Zip drive lying around that I want to use in this machine for file transfer and backups. However, as soon as I connect it to the IDE port the GURUs return. Tried installing IDEfix97 but same result...

pffff *@*@*$!@#*$@%#%&%&@

Kin Hell 09 February 2020 15:28

Install SnoopDos

mousehouse 10 February 2020 10:07

OK, quick followup to this GURU weirdness.

I spent the Saturday disassembling the machine and replacing the parts one by one. Swapped the WarpEngine 4040 for the A3640 (recapped etc.), moved the SCSI2SD to my trusted A2091, then swapped the complete motherboard for my spare A4000D motherboard (yes, I have one, recapped and all).

No change!

The only thing left (besides PSU and floppy) was the SCSI2SD. No... would it, really?

I decided to wipe it clean. Connected it to my machine, launched the SCSI2SD tool and killed all IDs on it. Recreated them with different sizes (512MB for ID1 and 2GB for ID1). Connected to the Amiga again, ran HDToolbox, read the disk parameters and reinstalled.

No crashes anymore :nuts

Tried the different 040 libraries, including Thomas' version - works brilliantly. Swapped the A3640 for the WarpEngine, all fine. Runs super fast, no weird crashes... I still expect to see the GURU at startup but it boots straight into my plain 3.1 install...

Why?

I'm not a disk expert but maybe the RDB on the disk contained some form of filesystem version that made the machine crash? I'm happy now because I spent a weekend but got my A4000D back to a usable state!

DarrenHD 10 February 2020 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousehouse (Post 1377709)
OK, quick followup to this GURU weirdness.

I spent the Saturday disassembling the machine and replacing the parts one by one. Swapped the WarpEngine 4040 for the A3640 (recapped etc.), moved the SCSI2SD to my trusted A2091, then swapped the complete motherboard for my spare A4000D motherboard (yes, I have one, recapped and all).

No change!

The only thing left (besides PSU and floppy) was the SCSI2SD. No... would it, really?

I decided to wipe it clean. Connected it to my machine, launched the SCSI2SD tool and killed all IDs on it. Recreated them with different sizes (512MB for ID1 and 2GB for ID1). Connected to the Amiga again, ran HDToolbox, read the disk parameters and reinstalled.

No crashes anymore :nuts

Tried the different 040 libraries, including Thomas' version - works brilliantly. Swapped the A3640 for the WarpEngine, all fine. Runs super fast, no weird crashes... I still expect to see the GURU at startup but it boots straight into my plain 3.1 install...

Why?

I'm not a disk expert but maybe the RDB on the disk contained some form of filesystem version that made the machine crash? I'm happy now because I spent a weekend but got my A4000D back to a usable state!

Interesting. I've also seen GURU's like this with drives that I've constantly updated or changed things in the RDB. Mostly it would happen in compact flash cards, but sometimes also in hard drives. A few times I have put them in Windows computers to totally format them to clear it. Glad you got it sorted out!

Kin Hell 11 February 2020 12:36

Jeepers mousehouse.

What a per-la-ver! :nuts


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04389 seconds with 11 queries