English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OnEscapee longplay ! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28786)

Ironclaw 26 March 2007 18:19

OnEscapee longplay !

OMG, what a nice game :).

From previous threads by Retroplay and laffer when they announced their longplays, they got good feedback and people said they didn't want to watch movies on crappy youtube. So here's the link for the movie, in great quality.

http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...dex.php?id=293

Just thought I would announce a longplay myself :P.

Edit: Youtube link if you're into that sort of thing :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_e-44NR-cc

viddi 26 March 2007 20:40

Very cool. Thanks :)

AMIGAZ 26 March 2007 20:47

Awesome, now I can see if it's worth installing it and using the famous RTG patch on my A4000 :spin

Shoonay 26 March 2007 21:23

Oh, yeah! :bowdown

DDNI 26 March 2007 21:28

Dont watch it all!!

It is one of those "see once never play again games"!!!

Whet your appetite yes, but dont over do it!!

Ultron 26 March 2007 22:35

Wow, what a great game!

I never even knew of it at all!

Great replay too!

Yes!

Everything ends with a !

Ironclaw 27 March 2007 08:28

Youtube link in the first post.

MethodGit 27 March 2007 09:36

Is it just me or is the game so disappointing "satisfying death scene"-wise? The vast majority of them don't even make any sense visually!

At least in Another World and Flashback you always had a good idea as to the fate of your character whenever you screwed up.

Ironclaw 27 March 2007 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MethodGit
At least in Another World and Flashback you always had a good idea as to the fate of your character whenever you screwed up.

Same in OnEscapee, you have a very good idea what death to expect from things.

Like:

1. You swim under water and runs out of air = death scenes is you are washed up on shore, dead.
2. A big snake is hanging down from the roof = you walk under it and it takes you.
3. A big guy with a huge burning/electrifying staff catches you = you get fried.
4. You walk into a electrified fence = you are thrown a few feets away and die (you had little health left, or it would'nt happen)
5. You run out of a cliff = death is you fall down from the cliff and die.
6. A huge crablike monster merged with the ground grabs you and kills you, if you don't jump over it... what would you expect if you didn't jump over it?
7. You walk into a very dark cave, before you turned the lights on, and monsters kills you... = also expected, same in Legend of Kyrandia.
8. Rabid, mutated dogs are chasing you = when they catch up with you, you'll see a close up pic of one of them, and you are dead (of course you would be dead if 3 dangerous dogs took you)
9. You shoot at some barrels filled with petrol = they explode and you die (what else to expect?)

etc etc etc...

edit, so gimme an explanation to why you would think what you said :)

Ultron 27 March 2007 14:32

They all seem to make sense to me...

MethodGit 28 March 2007 23:15

Ok, maybe I used the wrong wording there - I more or less mean "cop-out"! Invictus could've done much better in this department when you think about it!

Death scenes such as the spider, the dogs and the falling rocks could've done with more than just a short clip of them in close-up - why not make actual animations showing the character suffering the intended fate on-screen rather than just merely imply them? And that one where you touch the android thingy - ffs, don't just show a close-up of a hand and a gun that shows blood dripping down it (and on that point - just one measly tiny drop of blood? That hunk of junk doesn't appear to have damaged you much then)!!! Prove what exactly the android does to you, as merely "it kills you, that's it" isn't enough! And finally the drowning part - heck, if it's technically possible to show Mario, Sonic and Lara Croft choking and drowning underwater, why not this guy? Why fob people off with a "what happened several hours later" static picture?

Also I guess there are a few to which the "makes no sense" complaint would apply - those black and red things which shoot tiny yellow bullet things for instance - how come they later appear as red on your character as he slowly collapses? And are they poison darts? Another one is the scene with what looks like a bloody dripping dinosaur corpse - why exactly is the blood seemingly deadly to the touch? Is it acidic? Why does it look like your character's standing there looking up above as blood drips down on his sight? And just WHAT the hell was that death scene after the one with the hive of snakes all about???!

Plus, what exactly is that glittery thing in the hospital beds scene that jumps about places and just sucks your molecules into it? Doesn't look very deadly to me! And after the dogs, there's that bit where the bloke goes into what looks like a teleportation device, and indeed the clip that plays looks like he is merely being teleported somewhere. How does that count as a death scene? Is it some molecular destabilizer that someone carelessly left behind?

Also, why do a couple of scenes end with a clip viewed from an upturned angle with the character on his knees, bleeding a lot and yet not actually collapsing? I mean, surely he has yet to die as such?! And when the screen slowly folds in on itself, I guess that's supposed to imply "eyes closing", yet if that was the case shouldn't it be from the point of view of your bloke?

And finally, not necessarily another complaint, but the final death scene in the lineup confuses me. You go into a blocky vehicle carriage thingy, and it starts up almost instantly, some animation plays of it going through a doorway, this floaty frocked demon thingy tampers with the controls elsewhere (as if it knew instantly you were going) and the whole process fucks up. Are you supposed to kill that demon first before you can leave? (Bear in mind that due to time restraints I've only watched the death bits process in full, and have yet to watch the remainder of the longplay itself. So yes I guess I'm leaving myself wide open for a ribbing from people, but I still felt the need to say my piece about the quality of one of the "movie-like adventure" genre's most interesting aspects - the death setpieces!)

Yes, I may be kicking up a major fuss about nothing and looking like a twat in the process, but having been very familiar with games of a similar type like Another World, Flashback, Prince of Persia, Heart of Darkness etc - I kinda expected OnEscapee to have similar and clearly more obvious death scenes to enjoy! Even Dragon's Lair and Space Ace made a bit of an effort....

Suffice to say (and despite saying all of that), my favourite death scene out of the lot there has to be one of the ones from the start where he runs off that cliff, and clatters and crunches his way down the rocks and into the riverbank (slightly reminiscent of cartoons and that Homer scene from early Simpsons). Now that was interesting (and funny)!

Ultron 28 March 2007 23:39

:blased

Ironclaw 28 March 2007 23:43

Quote:

And that one where you touch the android thingy - ffs, don't just show a close-up of a hand and a gun that shows blood dripping down it
That animation is random. This death scene can come from being run over by the car, from being zapped by those flying balls, being hit by lazer from an android etc...

Quote:

You go into a blocky vehicle carriage thingy, and it starts up almost instantly, some animation plays of it going through a doorway, this floaty frocked demon thingy tampers with the controls elsewhere (as if it knew instantly you were going) and the whole process fucks up. Are you supposed to kill that demon first before you can leave?
Yes, you have to kill him before jumping on the ship trying to leave, you would have noticed if you checked the movie or played the game... the same goes with alot of your other complaints, just play the game or watch the movie and much more makes sense :).

And that glittery thingy he is drawn into is a special forcefield that damages him when he touches it, preventing him from passing by... but it only happens if he has like 1 hp left, otherwise he just bounces of and gets hurt a little... same with the dropping blood, he only dies when he has like 1hp left... seems its a poisonous blood type.... it's an alien world, expect anything :).

I'm not gonna complain about your complaints.... just play the game to understand it. Of course it's not techically perfect, like the orange shots turning red on the view from distance. If you mention a game you like, we can probably make a huge list of things that doesn't make sense there either, and gfx glitches and mistakes too.