English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shadow of the Beast music inspired by Vangelis? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55910)

Paul_s 20 October 2010 23:51

Shadow of the Beast music inspired by Vangelis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krwZSbNwEs8

track is called - Metallic Rain..

Listen to the first 20 seconds... very beastly! I was listening to this tonight and instantly thought of Beast..

Strangely enough the album this comes from 'Direct' was released in 1988... Beast followed the year after.. coincidence? :cheese

alexh 21 October 2010 00:19

Wow never heard this track. Without a doubt an inspiration for the title music to SOTB1.

I feel a little bit robbed now. DW has gone down a little in my estimation.

It was a bit like when I heard Rob Hubbards Lightforce for the first time and realised it was the inspiration for Jochen Hippel's Title music to Enchanted Lands which had always been one of my favourite "Original" Hippel tracks :(

s2325 21 October 2010 00:39

I think it have also something from music from title screen of Beast 2.

Adropac2 21 October 2010 01:02

It would seem so wouldn't it

This piece is more ambient though with there being no real strong melody structure like DW's Beast work.A more story based approach

DW's Beast music is more powerfull i would say

desiv 21 October 2010 01:08

Beast music inspired by Vangelis?

Great! Now I have this image of the main character in SOTB running on the beach in slow motion to Vangelis music!!!

Thanx!!! ;-(

desiv

desiv 21 October 2010 04:10

Actually, I just listened to it and I have to disagree..

Not that there aren't similarities, but there was a lot of "new age" keyboard music at that time that had similarities...

I was expecting to listen to something and go "Yep!"

But when I heard it, I thought, "it's similar, but not the same."

You should listen to more "new age" to ... er...
never mind.. you probably shouldn't.... Because that leads to "celestial soda pop" and then you're doomed... ;-)

desiv

Adropac2 21 October 2010 04:30

It's really just that drop sound and how it's used that makes you wonder- not so much the rest i would say.Pad chords at the start also makes me wonder

alexh 21 October 2010 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiv (Post 709738)
I just listened to it and I have to disagree..

Hmm...???

The two start with IDENTICAL instruments. For the first 26 secs or so I felt they are almost indistinguishable.

Light pan pipes, low base, wooden xylophone, flute. Similar tempo, same chords. Just try playing the two simultaneously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qipWqOwkceg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krwZSbNwEs8

coze 21 October 2010 14:24

a definite 'inspiration'. but I think DW expanded quite nice on Vangelis's idea, so we'll forgive him for this time :)

desiv 21 October 2010 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 709805)
The two start with IDENTICAL instruments. For the first 26 secs or so I felt they are almost indistinguishable.

Frequently, when I'm listening to the radio I hear the beginning of a song and think, "Oh, it's X-song!" and then it kicks in to some other song..

That "identical" sound is electronic rain, which both theme's were trying to capture using a synthesizer.

It's possible, but it's also possible that there's only so many ways to do that sound given the technology of the time and that they are bound to sound similar from time to time.

Have you heard/seen the Pachelbel rant on youtube? :laughing

Themes/sounds repeat. Might be copied/inspired. Might be similar ideas. Maybe they were both inspired by some other song/sound/live show that had the same bit???

desiv

Adropac2 21 October 2010 18:47

I think many artists at some stage will look at existing well working instruments sets as a basis for their own work.People writing music on the Amigas at the time would have surely looked at Chris Huelsbeck's setups

DW's title is a stronger work of composition in that it's character piece doesn't ramble, and so i can forgive that the multi appears to have been borrowed somewhat

But who knows

humble worm 21 October 2010 19:08

There is nothing new under the sun ;)

Photon 21 October 2010 20:43

I mentioned this on this forum ages ago. You should pay attention. :D

Also check out the old Yes album with a 'Beast' cover. It's on Spotify. I posted a thread with it about a month ago(?), hoping that someone would 'get it', but instead the thread got removed. Pf.

desiv 21 October 2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 709872)
Also check out the old Yes album with a 'Beast' cover..

I thought that it was known at the time that Psygnosis used a Roger Dean pic for Beast?

I remember people commenting on the Roger Dean pic on my t-shirt at the time.

I was almost cool for that.. :shocked

Well, OK, I was never close to being cool, even with the Roger Dean pic on my t-shirt. :lol

desiv

wilshy 21 October 2010 23:48

Show me a musician that isn't influenced by another at some stage in their composing history :D

TCD 22 October 2010 00:19

Somehow inspired (SOTB title that is), but surely not the same. I think it's mainly the synth 'tone' that makes it sound similar.

bLAZER 22 October 2010 00:29

Wow, I listed to that Vangelis song lots of times but I never thought about that it sounds VERY MUCH like SOTB in the beginning...

TCD 22 October 2010 00:41

Would be nice to know what synths/samples David used for the SOTB music. Maybe he took some off the Vangelis album...

laffer 22 October 2010 03:53

Not a ripoff in my opinion.

alexh 28 July 2011 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 709926)
Would be nice to know what synths/samples David used for the SOTB music.

He said in interviews he captured them all from a Korg M1